1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[nuglove]Faried To Workout With Olajuwon

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tinman, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Zboy

Zboy Member

imma not kiddiiiingggg yo!

Dmo and jones PPG in the NBA: 0.0

Asik's PPG in the NBA: 3.1

That's your Rockets front-court right there that you want over at Hakeem's camp.

They could be good but they could turn out to be meh as well. How about lettin them play a season and see what you have, instead?

There are no guarantees in the NBA. See Darko Milicic.

#41 Zboy, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  2. apollo33

apollo33 Member

based on what

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Even though Hakeem couldn't breath in Denver he would always torch the Nuggets. Torch em' man. He's probably bringing out Faried so he can drop 50 on him.

4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

on his nickname the B Fundamental
    j/k

5. Koperboy

Koperboy Member

Based solely on my opinion.

6. heypartner

heypartner Member

as of right now, no one on the rockets is as good a Faried and McGee. Are you really saying Faried would not have made the Lithuanian national team?

don't be a homey until DMo proves to us he can be as valuable as Faried was last year and at the same time, let's wait to see expected improvement by Faried.

7. psingh34

psingh34 Member

so?? just because they have not played in an nba game does not mean they do not have potential to be worthy of hakeem olajuwons lessons ESPECIALLY when guys like faried are getting that benefit .. the point is if faried is getting hakeems help then that means he no longer is accepting elite of elite .. also its really really funny that u mention milicic .. look at the years that he has played more than 20 min a game .. his averages have been very similar to farieds... go check it out

8. psingh34

psingh34 Member

so u are saying AS OF RIGHT NOW if you had a choice between anthony davis and mcgee you would take mcgee? bc AS OF RIGHT NOW he has done better in the pros than davis? that is a silly argument, I think just bc faried played ONE YEAR does not mean he now has more potential than DMO or jones .. I would say if teams had to pick between him and DMO or jones based just on their summer performance alone the vote would be split.

besides the point isnt even who is going to have a better career or who had accomplished more .. CLEARLY faried is not in the class of kobe, lebron, dwight and it was once said that hakeem only tutored players in that class. If he is now tutoring the likes of faried and mcgee than he has come down several classes and both of those players I think are in the same class as some of the players we have

9. Sman2k10

Sman2k10 Member

Kobe and Lebrons post game just went to a whole another level. Players who want to incorporate what they learned from Hakeem actually put effort on to it and do it. Case in point watch Kobe's footwork. It is just flat out amazing. No matter how much hakeem teaches it is upto the players to put in effort to add it to their game. The smart ones usually do it. And other players who see the improvement their colleagues are getting are encouraged to go to him. But they don't always put in the effort Kobe and Lebrons do.

10. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Agreed to some extent, but all Lebron did was turnaround fadeaways, thats hardly any significant improvement.

11. Akim523

Akim523 Member

Seriously?

12. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I would say Hakeem should go into coaching but he is going to make ALOT more $$ doing this, plus working less hours, & have players come to him.

I heard he is doing really well financially though. I remember reading an article saying he is making more now than when he was playing. Good investments I'm sure.

13. heypartner

heypartner Member

don't be so simplistic. I made no such argument. What does Anthony Davis have to do with this discussion?

next

#53 heypartner, Aug 3, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  14. psingh34

psingh34 Member

u said dont be a homey until dmo can prove to us whatever whatever .. if dmo has not proven anything, neither has davis (in terms of pros bc in their respective plays they have proved themselves) so why is it different?

15. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

he made tons of money in real estate.

16. Coherent

Coherent Member

Hakeem would have a field day with D-Mo. But damn, that is pretty steep compensation for a two week workout. Might be worth it for some guys like McGee, and Ibaka.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

I agree with this, though would note his pupils must be saying good things about him, because it's expensive yet he keeps getting more and more requests for it. If the players weren't getting much value from it they wouldn't be going and paying.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Then Faried should turn around and go home.

19. heypartner

heypartner Member

don't really care if you think comparing Anthony Davis to DMo constitutes some type of logical argument, because is simply doesn't.

You make no sense to me. Not need to reply again to try to convince me of your failed logic.

20. verse

verse Member

Coming out of my hibernation for this one...

Tim Duncan has incredible footwork. From the 45 degree extended post, he was practically indefensible. He would bait with up fakes and draw the reach in foul while sinking the and one. His jump hook was solid as he knew how to utilize his length to go over defenders. He is...without debate...the best PF to ever play.

All that said, there is no NBA comparison to Olajuwon's footwork. Dream quite literally revolutionized post play via his footwork. The "jump" before recieving the entry pass (so he could make his 2nd move as soon as he touched the floor) still has not been replicated. The pivot post fake baseline jumper - WITHOUT DRIBBLING OR TRAVELING - leading into the dribble towards the middle only to spin right back to a 18 foot fadeaway baseline jumper damned near behind the basket...let's just say any other human being would never attempt such a move without tearing every ligament in their knee. Hakeem had moves...counter moves...and counters to his counter moves.

Do you realize that Dream had never utilized the moves he used to undress Robinson in the playoffs??? That was off the cuff! Sure, the baseline inside spin had been utilized, and never defended properly, but even that move was a counter move to the baseline Dream Shake. So when he added the ball fake SECOND reverse pivot to the jump hook, it was incomprehensible...and still is.

Dream performed moves I have NEVER seen anyone perform. I remember one game he was elbow of the FT line. He spun into triple threat position facing his man up. Without dribbling, he swung the ball low and fast, left to right below the knees, did a reverse pivot off his left foot..which forced his defender to bite on the faked drive going right. As soon as his defender was on skates, Dream is reversing, pivoting to the paint, taking his first dribble as his back is now to the goal and defender. But...get this nuance..he dribbled by tossing the ball towards the OTHER corner of the FT line, catches it in one step, fades sideways and backwards, and hits nothing but net! Un...be...lievable. Bball scholars could write dissertations on Dream post moves.

On a separate note, I'm glad Dream is giving back to the game. These kids could learn much about the mental aspect of dominating a game. That said, I don't know if we have a "physical" comparison to Dream. Not only did he pick up his footwork from playing soccer as a child, which helped him develop his amazing ballet, he also had a VERY unique build. Dream was/is? 6'10 with an extremely long torso and short legs for his height. That allowed him to have a much better center of gravity than most. Plus his reach was exceptionally long and - from growing up playing handball - had ridiculous hand/eye coordination. Did you know he is the only player to retire top 10 in both blocked AND steals? As a center? Ridiculous.

Tim Duncan cannot hold a candle to Dream. Neither in footwork, nor in ability. Dream is the greatest center ever. Dream is the greatest post player ever. No debate.

Back to hibernation. God Bless the '99.

1 person likes this.