1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Now Averaging the Fewest Points Allowed Per Game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by don grahamleone, Dec 4, 2014.

1. don grahamleone

After last night's game got close at the end, I was sure we were going to be tied with Memphis for fewest points allowed per game. Alas, we are not. We have a 0.1 point advantage.

If nothing changes dramatically, we know this team is going to be in or near the top 5 in this category. That being said, do we have what it takes to keep this up all year? And why do you say that?

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/team/_/stat/team-comparison-per-game/sort/avgPointsOpponent

Even our defensive powerhouse juggernaut defense anchored by Hakeem Olajuwon in 1993 allowed more points per game.

2. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Sure, but did that team have the BEST defensive big in Europe? :grin:

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

It's amazing really. I never would have thought it possible. We don't even have two of our best defenders playing. Props to all the players and coaches.

4. ksny15

ksny15 Member

We knew all off season the teams main focus was going to be defense. Thats what will win us a championship. I am so glad the players, coaching staff and front office made this our main priority. Even when we struggle on O we should be able to stay in any game as long as we are playing D.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'm at a lost for words on what happened to our defense, I mean seriously how can it be with 3 of our starters being out, including our star defensive anchor (and former DPOY) Dwight Howard, and our starting PG (all nba team defender) Beverley being out, that we are the best defensive team in the league so far? Weren't we one of the bottoms defensive teams last year? Howards out, Bevs out, we traded Asik for a pick, and we still somehow jumped to being the best defensive team in the league. Is this real lyfe.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Member

103ppg allowed last year, 93 allowed this year. We scored 107.7ppg last year, 98 this year. What the hell happened?

7. Aleron

Aleron Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fJ9rUzIMcZQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

8. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

We traded Ariza for Parsons, TJones only played 4 games and Dwight has been out for 8 games this season. Thats what happened.

10. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

Per game stats are useless. You gotta adjust for pace.

The Warriors are better than Houston in points allowed per possession. Still, very good D considering how many games Dwert missed.

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

Ditch Parsons, add Ariza.

There is most of the difference already.

Concentrate on defence. There, all done.

12. djperm

djperm Member

Rockets fans have been patiently waiting for this team to unleash its potential ...:cool:

13. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

Being able to control and slow down the pace/tempo DOES matter

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

It only matters only if it improves your per possession numbers. If your team can slow the pace way down but still gives up a higher than average number of points per possession, your defense still is not good no matter what your per game numbers say.

Last season's Knicks are a classic example of this: http://www.basketball-reference.com/leagues/NBA_2014.html #9 in points allowed per game, but only 24th in points allowed per possession. 28th in pace. So, they were able to slow down the pace, but they still sucked on D.

#14 Carl Herrera, Dec 4, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2014
  15. shastarocket

shastarocket Member

hypothetical, but where would we be if we had Ariza AND Parsons (but likely no Papa)?

Basically, is Parsons+Ariza > or = Ariza+Papa+Terry?

I'd honestly go with our current situation.

16. don grahamleone

I haven't really thought about it that way. Dwight, Bev, Asik, even Jones have been marked as good defenders. (Yes, I know two of those guys got embarrassed by Aldridge)

Aren't you just a breath of foul air. Per possession stats are over-rated. Some bad defensive teams try to give themselves as many opportunities with the ball to get more positive results in the long run. That team has a lot of depth that will go away in the playoffs. Not to mention, they've played bad offensive teams so far.

So, what is wrong with you anyway? You are a pretty negative person. You seem to try to find something bad regardless of the bottom line. Like, how do you function day to day like that? That's got to be hard interacting with people.

1 person likes this.
  17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Member

Apples to oranges

The rockets defense this season doesn't have anything to do with what the Knicks did last season. They are 1st in opp ppg the Knicks are 9th.

If you want to prove that being number 1 in opp ppg is useless, point out a team in the history of the nba where a team is number 1 in opp ppg and their opp PPP is not in the top half of the league.

18. jtr

jtr Member

Once Bev and Howard get back we probably will see the Rockets giving up 5 fewer PPG. Kudos to Morey for assembling this roster and McHale for taking over the defense. And my god, I do so love watching great NBA defense.

19. jtr

jtr Member

I would guess it never has happened. If it did it certainly would be an oddity. Did it come close to happening in the JVG years? I would not think so.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

The same scoring margin though.

:)

DD