1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[not so] Wild Idea: Patrick Patterson at the three?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by roslolian, Dec 8, 2010.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

If you ask me, I'd say the two biggest problems the rockets are facing now are:

a) RA's questionable coaching decisions during the game
    b) horrible play of SFs (i.e. Battinger)

A is a sunk cost; now that I've calmed down I've accepted the fact that firing Adelman now wouldn't do any good, whether our goal is to reach the playoffs or tank.

B though can be remedied. The usual proposal is to plug in Courtney Lee at the three and play JT...but what if we bring back Patterson instead and let him have a go at the backup 3 position? There are a ton of reasons why this can work:

1) PP has a 3 pt shot

True, right now PP has been shooting 1-7 in the d league...but how is this any worse than Chase's performance this season, or JT's rampant chuckfest? PP has shown during the summer league that the 3 pointer is part of his arsenal, his attempts in the dleague show that he has the capability for it. Like I said, worst case scenario he becomes another C-bud.

2) PP can play in the perimeter
    Most people don't realize it, but PP actually played more of a "three" role in college during his final year. Yes he was the starting PF, but with cousins grabbing all the rebounds and roaming in the paint PP was forced to develop his jumper enough to be a threat in the perimeter. Remember how Landry got some PT at the 3 spot before and really wasn't all that bad for a backup 3? PP can play that part to a T.

3) PP needs playing time and exp to develop
    Yeah, PP is getting all the minutes he can handle in the dleague. But 30 mins in the dleague is worth less than 10 mins in the NBA. Whether we end up trading him for another player or end up using him ourselves, PP still needs time in the league to show what he can do. In the D league he is a major piece and has plays made for him, but here in the NBA he will start out as a role player. PP needs to get his feet wet in order to learn how to contribute to the team despite being a bit player.

I know some people would think that I'm nuts for even suggesting this, but the fact is C-bud is extremely limited if his shot isn't falling. He's not a good rebounder, and his defense is downright awful. Patterson oth has been getting 8 rebs a game in the dleague, and his size,physicality and athletic ability makes him a good defender as long as he isn't guarding lightning quick forwards (which shouldn't be the case as he's just a backup). I think a backup swingman combo of Lee/PP is better than Lee/C-bud or JT/Lee, at least for the timebeing.

2. kovacs242

kovacs242 Member

I am pretty bored of your RA bashing.

1 person likes this.
  3. Captain Hook

Captain Hook Member

How about we trade Aaron Brooks, Jared Jeffries, Patrick Patterson, and a second round pick for Andre Iguodola?

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Battier is playing his best basketball in a while. Whether we get a sf or not Battier will play.

Adelman's offense is working better than ever now that the players are actually running it. All you can ask your coach is to help the team improve. The Rockets are definitely doing that. They have won 5 out of their last 8 and if not for a boneheaded play by Lee it would be 6. And that's without Yao and Brooks.

Budinger is in a big slump and at this point could use a break in DLeague. I agree a replacement for his minutes is dire. But should that be PP. Not yet. I like Patrick Patterson but Jeffries has much more experience at the 3 than he does. jeffries is a better defender than Patterson at this stage and Patterson was not a 3 in college and is not a 3 in the pros. Although he can get away with it at times playing that spot, he doesn't have the handles to really be effective on a permanent basis. Now I am all for trading PP if it means getting a player like Iguaodala.

Also we are not in tank mode. We will be above .500 by the end of the month and God willing we will finally have a full healthy roster to make a run.

#4 Old Man Rock, Dec 8, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  5. Htown's2kFinest

Battier isn't the problem. It's Budinger...

But playing Pat at the 3? I rather see JJ there, maybe JT, or hell run Battier all 48.

Pat is not the answer at the SF position.

6. txtodd

txtodd Member

They won't bring PP up to play the 3. It goes against how they want him to develop - they want him back playing inside like he did starting out at Kentucky, not outside like when Cousins arrived.

Let him prove he can be an NBA 4 first, then let him expand his game.

7. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

I think PatPat has more of a chance to be a 20/10 + solid defending PF if developed properly. Either Scola or Hill has to be moved before he really gets a chance on the Rockets though.

8. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

That's a pretty wild idea. Considering that the guy is a rookie who is playing in the D-League at the moment.

9. liljojo

liljojo Member

Battinger? Is that our pet name for Battier/Budinger now?

1)Battier has been playing very well lately. I can't imagine Patpat being able to beat him out for any time.

2)Bud is in a slump right now. I realize it's gone longer than anyone feels comfortable, but shooters don't just forget how to shoot, and Bud was nails last season. It's probably a confidence thing. He'll break out of it eventually.

3) Patpat? really? He does NOT make the team better right now, even at the 4, and if we want to develop him, I'd much rather give him minutes in his natural position.

10. passdarock

passdarock Member

I know some people would think that I'm nuts for even suggesting this

^^^^this

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Team defense is our problem, and Battier is still one of our best defenders, so I don't think you should place much blame on Battier. Buddinger has been horrible lately, so that is a problem area, but if he starts shooting better, he won't be seen as a liability.

I think the Rockets are playing much better now. Scola is becoming a star player, Hill has shown a lot of impovment recentely, and Miller has been doing what we hoped he could do when we signed him. When Brooks comes back, I'm hoping we can really get on a hot streak.

Patterson has been playing well in the D-league, but I think it is best that he focuses on the position he is best suited for, which at this point is the power forward position. I would expect Patterson to be on the Rockets roster sometime after the new year.

I've given up on Yao, even if he comes back, it probably will be a short time before he gets hurt again.

12. samxie1991

samxie1991 New Member

well,i dont think PP is the answer to SF
    Battier is getting older but he is still doing a good job at both defence and offence...
    Chase is still young and he is actually better than PP at the three...
    someone said we should trade Iguodala...well,i don't think so
    what can he give us?slam dunk?
    so let's wait and see what will happend when Yao comes back
    don't do any stupid action before that

13. CaptainRox

CaptainRox Member

THIS ^^^

14. Sanity2disChaos

It amazes me what some people say on this site!!! :eek: ........most cant even play the game (competitivley) but feel they know all the ins and outs about the game and players...shm....but anyway back to the subject.
    PP is not a 3...period.
    Bud is overtated....and just a shooter (matt bullard with athleticism-actually Bull is a better shooter!!)
    Battier is ok but cant score on nightly basis...

Thus we still have a problem at the wing and in the NBA you have to have a starting SF to score in double digits to win a majority of your games.

IT IS WRITTEN.

1 person likes this.
  15. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

No, Patterson is not a answer for the SF position and it would be absolute desperation or some wonderful drug taking coach if we ever played him at that position for more then a few minutes.

16. vince

vince Member

Well I was looking at Patrick Patterson's season stats with the Vipor's. Not bad if you ask me. I can tell he is an all around player. He scores, is active on his feet, rebounds efficiently, has a good shot (FT and FG% are good). I think Morey may have found himself a gem. Problem is that the PF is loaded on the current Rockets roster. Scola, Hayes, Hill are all playing well.

34 minutes
    51.5% FG
    82.4% FT
    8.8 Rebounds
    1.83 Steal (wow :eek: )
    1.17 Blocks
    16.2 Points

http://www.nba.com/dleague/riograndevalley/statistics/

17. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The problem with looking at stats from the Vipers is that you're looking at stats from the Vipers. Minor league numbers tend to mask any and all weaknesses in a guy's game that you won't see unless you watch.

1 person likes this.
  18. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Classic.

FWIW, Terrance Williams was averaging a triple double in the d-league. He went there because he fell out of the Nets rotation.

19. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Bud indeed is in a prolonged slump. However, it will end when two events occur: 1) he gets his rhythm back and 2) he understands that other teams are defending him more vigorously because of his earlier success. He never seems to be open anymore because IMO other teams got tired of having him drain trey after trey. Again, IMO, this is leaving his teammates more open for shots.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

to the OP shane has actually played pretty well since the rockets have got their act together in the past 8 games.

31.9 mpg
    49.2% FG% 45.5% 3p%
    10.5 ppg
    4.3 rpg
    2.1 apg
    1.75 bpg
    1.00 spg
    1.9 fouls per game