1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NIN - The Fragile on Vinyl

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by CCity Zero, Oct 5, 2017.

1. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Any NIN fans should get it, listening to it now, so much better than loudness wars CD...

Near double the DR :)

Daddy Long Legs and mikol13 like this.
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

Very nice.

I love these records. Funny thing is, Reznor always said he thought they suffered because " he had nothing to say at the time". Totally disagree, I still listen to it.

CCity Zero likes this.
  3. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Def agree with you! I'm hoping I might catch them in Houston at festival in December, if not there's a rumored tour coming next year. Saw him perform in 2014, still puts on a hell of a show and plays wide range of his music.

4. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Definitely one of the favorite albums of all time, but not sure I can listen to it anymore...you can tell Trent is going through a lot. I just wish I got to see them live.

CCity Zero likes this.
  5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Doesn't it need to be recorded on analog to be worth it?

6. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Are you on discogs?

CCity Zero likes this.
  7. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

So, what they're doing on a lot of these vinyls is not putting the extra reproduction (loudness wars garbage and cutting the top and bottom hz etc) since the record producers found out the limitations of CD/most digital, by them not adding in this extra garbage you get a more pure version, even if it wasn't recorded in analog (as long as they don't just put the over produced version on the vinyl and most times they don't, I always check though). Also, CDs made in 80s-~95 are superior versions, but then loudness garbage took over and ruined it forcing people into audio back to vinyl or other media.

Here is a great site to find out what the best versions are to own on all kinds of artists http://dr.loudness-war.info

You'll notice if you look up the Fragile on CD vs Vinyl it's near Double the overall Dynamic Range, and I've noticed less distortion (and both higher highs/lows I didn't even hear before other than seeing them in concert).

I'm big into audio, and I was skeptical at first too but on some other artists the vinyl can sometimes be triple the DR and I guarantee you'll notice it on a decent audio setup/good headphones (not Beats, haha).

I know this is Wikipedia but it's got a decent explanation and there's plenty of other sources citing the same: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war
    obviously this takes it further back, but I think peak issue for music I listen to (70s-now), it started getting bad around 95 and continued to get worse.

Just to add, I rip my vinyls to flac/lossless and can keep the DR, I just wish the record execs would do that, but a lot of times when you get a lossless version provided by them it's just the overproduced version and it's ruined.

#7 CCity Zero, Oct 6, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
    TheFreak likes this.
  8. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

No, but I need to be.. Haha, lurked on there some before. Are you on there?

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

You def need to go, Trent still puts on an incredible show, I saw NIN recently in 2013 and 14, and both were worth it. I know houston show is in Dec for festival, but 2018 main tour should be announced soon. I know I mentioned, but he plays pretty wide range from PHM to current, just awesome.

10. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Yeah. Its way better than ebay if you are seeking specific vinyls from my experience.

It documente every pressing on vinyls and will notify if vinyls you have on your "watch" list ever go up for sale.

Im currently hoping someone lists the orange and black colored vinyl of calculating infinity by dillinger escape plan soon.

Also better prices. Theres like 3 de loused vinyks on ebay all 2-300

On discogs theres like 30 deloused listings all for 100-150.

CCity Zero likes this.
  11. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

That's bad ass, thanks man, I've been checking ebay and the prices are insane on some... I'll def need to join for sure.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I think The Fragile might have been the last CD I ever purchased. Graduated to Limewire, then eventually Oink.CD + lossless audio (thanks @LonghornFan)

I intend to HONOR the album's memory by NOT purchasing the vinyl and not SULLYING what it stood for like the rest of you heathens. Lulz.

LonghornFan likes this.
  13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Booooo, haha, I bought the CD originally too... on a side note is Oink even active still? Reznor was on the site and active at one point

14. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

oINK was taken down around 2007 if I remember correctly. I remember all of us refugees flocked to some site talking everyday and waiting for what was next and hearing the news of Sean's arrest. Then Waffles started by some users along with What.CD. I preferred Waffles, but once What.CD invented Gazelle it was my go to. I have no clue if either exists any longer. I haven't used a torrent search engine since like 2012.

CCity Zero likes this.