1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NFL Draft Countdown Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Baqui99, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Stickfigure

Stickfigure Member

Didn't the Saints give up on Aaron Brooks?

2. Miguel

Miguel Member

That's beside the point ;)

It'd have to be an eli-esque deal actually, which I forgot to mention.

Something like a this years #1 (4th pick), this years #2 and #4, and next years #1.

3. percicles

percicles Member

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Pretty sure the supplemental draft works as a parallel to the rookie draft much like rule V in baseball. However, if you select someone in the supplemental draft depending on which round, you have to forfeit a draft pick in the upcoming rookie draft.

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Exactly. Just like we took Tony Hollings in the second round of the supplemental draft, therefore losing that pick in the next year's draft.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Member

Last year's draft had 3 DBs go in the Top 10. If a team needs some help in their secondary (like SF), HUff is the best DB in the draft.

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

Kiper etc have seemed to say Cutler will be top 10 pick.. and even articles on yahoo I've read today suggest he will be top 10..

Most of the ones I've read had the top tier consisting of Matt, Vince, and Cutler... the rest are considered quite a bit back of thsoe 3..

8. lpbman

lpbman Member

I really hope the Saints draft VY.... I am on the fence when it comes to giving up on being a fan entirely and I am underwhelmed by the prospect of replacing Brooks with Lineart.

Getting rid of Hasslett was a good move but will Sean Payton be an upgrade? I'd give Hasslett a free pass for this season, I don't think any coach could have pulled off a winning season with an injured Deuce and the turmoil Katrina caused. He should have been replaced before the season ever began, though. Now if Benson would just go away...

9. percicles

percicles Member

Let me get this straight. So if we pick up Brooks with the 1st pickin sup. draft then we loose a 2nd round pick or 1st round pick? If it's a 2nd rounder them I'm all over that. Getting a high first rounder for the price of a second rounder in next years draft. That's a bargain even Casserly can't overlook.

10. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

No, if we drafted him in the first round of the supplemental draft, we'd lose our first round pick next year.

11. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

The 49ers have needs at all positions but if you draft a QB #1 you have to give him a couple of weapons to work with. His best weapon now is Brandon Lloyd and its nothing real special about him. If they do decide to draft defense they should look at AJ Hawk , Chad Greenway, or the defensive end from Boston College. Michael Huff will not be worth a top 10 pick.

12. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Member

Kiwanuka is a mid to late first rounder.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He'll probably go somewhere in the 10-20 range, but someone could take a chance on him, He'd be the first DE taken if it weren't for Mario Williams.

Raiders should be eyeing AJ Hawk at the 6th pick right now.

14. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

Although those 3 guys were cover corners.

It is much rarer, though not unheard of (see the OU Roy Williams & Sean "Dumerer" Taylor), for safeties to go top 10. If Huff runs a sub 4.5 I'd say about 10 is right (gives him the ability to match up like a corner and play FS equally), he is a smart player and a fine, fluid, athlete.

15. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

The only guy on your list that will go before Huff is Hawk.

Supposedly Kiwanuka got obliterated by DBrick at all the senior bowl practices. I personally think Hali is a much more interesting prospect as a potential 2nd DE off the board. Hali to me looks like a poormans Freeney (Terrell Suggs?).

Greenway is a non-physical style LB who at this point is likely to go in the middle of the 1st.

16. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Member

If I were a Saints fan I'd be thrilled if I could sit back with the #2 pick and select VY. The ceiling is much lower on ML (VY is equal or better in about all raw skills, ML only has him in experience with a pro offense), and I would imagine ML pouting a lot with everything (early losing, fracnhise situation). VY would be a much superior option to engergizing a franchise.

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

Whoever takes AJ Hawk will be getting themselves a damn good linebacker. He's big, fast, makes big plays, and has a nose for the football. Probably the best college LB I've seen in person.

18. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

19. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Member

Texans has three choices #1 pick

"With the first overall pick in the 2006 NFL Draft, the Houston Texans ...''

-- NFL Commissioner Paul Tagliabue, 68 days from today.

MONTCLAIR, N.J. -- ... do one of three things.

First off, welcome to 2006 NFL draft coverage. As I've said many times before, we put far, far too much emphasis on it, but in the immortal words of Bill Belichick, it is what it is. And we're going to start covering the draft in earnest this week at the NFL Scouting Combine -- I'll be there, along with your favorite SI.commer, Don "Donnie Brasco'' Banks -- looking over 330 new victims ... I mean, prospects, beginning on Thursday.

The first question on everyone's mind is this: What will the Texans do? As I said, they've got three choices:

1. Trade the pick. (The least likely scenario. Maybe a five percent chance. Only way they'll do it, I think, is if they could trade down a few spots and still get a stud like 10-year left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson in addition to a sick draft-pick haul.)

2. Draft USC running back Reggie Bush. (The most likely scenario. Probably a 75 percent chance. And from what I hear, new coach Gary Kubiak is already quietly telling good friends like Mike Shanahan that the Texans will take Bush.)

3. Draft Texas quarterback Vince Young. (Not a good chance. Maybe a one-in-five shot. Maybe. But if he's really good in his workout in Austin on March 22, and Kubiak loves him, I suppose it's possible they could pick Young and either trade David Carr for a very good draft pick or hang on to Carr and trade him next year.)

Now, there's one issue from the end of the season, when it was widely reported that the Texans had determined internally that they were definitely going to take Bush, the exciting Heisman Trophy winner. And it concerns whether the Texans and their new coach are solid on Bush. You get the feeling that GM Charlie Casserly and the Texans' scouts love the kid, and now that Kubiak is on board, he's come to love him too. But that feeling, Casserly told me with conviction on Friday night, is premature.

"There's been no guarantee that we'll take Bush,'' Casserly told me. "We're wide open. We're wide open for trades for the pick. The way I see it, here are our options. Keep David Carr and take Reggie Bush. Keep David Carr and draft Vince Young. Take Vince Young and see what we can get in trade for David Carr. And trade down. We're going to visit with people at Indianapolis and take our time. Nothing will get done, I wouldn't think, until the week before the draft.''

My biggest question about Bush has been -- and continues to be -- this: Can he be an every-down player in the NFL? This is a guy who rushed more than 20 times twice in a three-year USC career and who, playing at around 198 pounds, will have massive durability questions in the NFL.

20. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Captain Obvious writes for SI now?