1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

NFL Draft Countdown Mock Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Baqui99, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

As a break from the VY/Bush threads, here's the latest from NFL Draft Countdown. The top 8 picks look pretty straight forward to me, as those guys will be dominant NFL players.

I think the Jets might get desperate to swap picks with someone in the top-3, as they're in desperate need of a franchise QB. Houston might be tempted to trade if the price is right. Remember the Eli Manning deal was #1 for #4, and San Diego got a 2004 3rd rounder, and 2005 1st and 5th rounder for the swap. A similar deal might be something to consider since the Jets will be picking in the top-10 in 2007 as well. Of course for a Vince Young homer like myself, that's a whole different story. :)

http://www.nfldraftcountdown.com/sub/mockdraft.html

1. Reggie Bush, RB - Houston
    2. Matt Leinart, QB - New Orleans
    3. Vince Young, QB - Tennessee
    4. D'Brickshaw Ferguson, OT - NYJ
    5. Mario Williams, DE - Green Bay
    6. AJ Hawk, LB - Oakland
    7. Michael Huff, DB - San Francisco
    8. Haloti Ngata, DT - Buffalo
    9. Winston Justice, OT - Detroit
    10. LenDale White, RB - Arizona

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

One question i have is that if VY is so highly wanted why would New Orleans not take Young but would take Leinhart instead?

3. reggietodd

reggietodd Contributing Member

Mainly because New Orleans isn't his hometown.

4. Baqui99

Sean Payton, their new HC, loves pro-style QBs. Both Leinart and VY are pretty much "can't miss" prospects. If Leinart came out in '05, he would've been picked #1 overall by the Niners.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

they still might. i haven't seen any movement in these mock drafts since VY declared himself eligible.

6. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Reggie will sell a lot of Texans jerseys, as I'm finally coming around the the cold hard reality of VY not being here...It is going to suck to see VY being a bad ass in the coming years...VY is going to be great in Tennesee...

If we swap picks with the Jets, we could get the brick plus Abraham...

7. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why would the Jets take an O-Lineman . . don't they need a QB?
    In fact I was thinking they'd be high on the Trading partner list
    at worse. . .they would get Cutler

Rocket River

8. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Correct. Most teams are just now kicking it in high gear for the draft and the players have not been individually worked out (combine, pro days, individual interviews). The only movement since underclassmen declared was related to the Senior Bowl and like affairs, which only involved a few of the 15 best prospects and none of the top 3.

All the mocks are just guesses at this point and any draft projector or scout worth his salt would not be confident in his first 20, 10 or even 3 choices.

When it is all said and done I'd be much less surprised if VY goes before Bush than ML over Young. VY IMO will be the 1st QB taken, be it #1 or #2 (after Bush), he has better athleticism and arm strength than ML and is probably comparable in the primary strengths of ML with the exception of much less familarity of a pro-style offense. But lack of familarity with a pro-style didn't stop McNabb or McNair from being drafted early and being a producer by their 2nd year in the NFL. I think an NFL team would be dumb to pass on VY's much more unique abilities just because ML is more familiar with a particular style of offense.

9. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I just can't see Huff being a top ten pick. He sure has come a long way though.

10. MykTek

MykTek Member

wouldn't be interesting if the titans wanted Leinart instead especially since Norm Chow is the OC over there....trade w/ Titans and we still get Bush at 3.... or even trade w/ the jets like u mention before, we'll still end up w/ Bush at 4 I think.....the one thing that is weird about this mock is Cutler isn't in the top 10....his stock is going up fast, I wouldn't be surprised if the Jets stay put at 4 and pick him....

11. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

Drafting a prospect with the upside like Vince Young is a once in a decade opportunity. Don't lose it.

12. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I like VY, and he may be great in TN, but that organization could just as easily surround him with idiots and he could be like Steve Young in Tampa.
    Right now that team is BAD with a couple years to go (much like Houston.)

13. xcomputerman

xcomputerman Contributing Member

I see Houston picking Bush, and the Jets trading with NO for rights to the #2 pick. Likely scenario is that Vince Young ends up in Tennessee and Matt Leinart in NJ. New Orleans does not need a QB nearly as badly as Tennessee and New Jersey do.

14. Agent27

Agent27 Member

I do know that before he declared and before the Rose Bowl he was listed in the 8-10 range.

15. Baqui99

Jay Cutlet looked really good in the Senior Bowl practice week, but struggled in the game, going 6-19, 69 yards, 1 TD, 1 INT. I think he's part of the 2nd tier QBs in the draft along with Whitehurst and Croyle.

Also, remember Norm Chow also worked with Vince last offseason as well, so he knows the strong points of both him and Leinart.

16. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

That's funny because Mortenson's article said that Cutler threw a few out of bounds at practice, and Mortenson loves him.

17. Lil Francis

Lil Francis Member

I was thinking the samething. Huff is a pretty good player but no way should he go in the top 10. Since the 49ers took a QB #1 last year they should atleast give him a few weapons to work with. Vernand Davis or Deangelo Williams would be a better pick at #7.

18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

1. Matt Leinart, QB - - NYJ (via Houston)
    2. Reggie Bush, RB - New Orleans (assuming the services of a Deuce McCallister are no longer needed, or at least as an insurance policy)
    3. Vince Young, QB - Tennessee (UT fans am cry)
    4. D'Brickshaw Ferguson, OT - Houston (via NYJ)
    5. AJ Hawk, LB - Green Bay

There's my top 5.

19. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

What do we get from NYJ?

20. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

are we only going to get a number 5 pick?