1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL.com] Bradie James replaces DeMeco Ryans 'and then some'

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rookie34, May 23, 2012.

1. Rookie34

Rookie34 Member

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000...die-james-replaces-demeco-ryans-and-then-some

It seems to be the coaching staff praises Bradie James.
    It's not a big surprise IMO, because Bradie already played for Wade and Herring afterall.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

Texans front 7 is the best in the NFL.

3. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

hey, if James is better I'm glad he said it.

4. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

the fact that you can make that claim and no one is laughing at you is :eek:

how far we've come...

5. meh

meh Contributing Member

Ryans is better suited for the 4-3 anyway, so it was really best for all sides to make that trade. Now let's hope one of the picks we got from Philly pans out.

6. josephnicks

josephnicks Member

i think a few teams can also make that claim, atleast the texans are in the discussion.

but imagine if whitney mercilus emerges as a premier pass rusher, the texans would have a rotation of barwin, reed, & mercilus at OLB.. no rest for any QBs.. the texans would have a great front 7 +1..

7. Hightop

Hightop Member

Bradie James better than DeMeco Ryans? Somebody needs to be slapped

Posted on May 23, 2012 at 10:08 am by Jerome Solomon

Before there is an apology or clarification – because, you know that’s how things are done these days – let’s analyze this ridiculous statement from Texans linebackers coach Reggie Herring about having Bradie James instead of DeMeco Ryans in the middle of the defense.

“We feel like we’ve gained back what we lost with DeMeco leaving and then some, to be honest with you.”

Really?

Herring is a talker. Herring is cocky. Herring is a great quote.

But on this subject, Herring is full of … oh gosh darn it, heavens to Betsy, sufferin’ succotash, good golly Miss Molly, once again this “family newspaper rules” thing gets in the way of my colorful use of the English language.

Just take my word for it. Herring is full of something, and it ain’t the truth.

Nothing against Bradie James, he’s a great leader and decent linebacker, but if he even dreams about being the football player DeMeco Ryans is right now, he ought to wake up and apologize.

Like Herring should.

Is Wayne Brady gonna have to slap a … grrrr!

The Texans did not get better at linebacker by trading Ryans. Period.

Only an idiot would think that, and I’m pretty sure Herring isn’t an idiot. Chalk this one up to coachspeak is in OTAs too.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexan...an-demeco-ryans-somebody-needs-to-be-slapped/

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Demeco Ryans was at best, an average linebacker for the past 2 seasons. Claiming Bradie James is currently better than Demeco is completely reasonable.

9. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I'll take Reggies Herrings' expertise on LB, over Solomans every day of the week and twice on Sundays...

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I think there's a lot of folks that were completely unaware of what James was like last year. (Hint: look underneath average)

Ryans, two years ago up until his Achilles tear, was on pace for over 130 tackles. That's not exactly "average"

Ryans had a dip in numbers last season largely because Wade was quick to yank him. There was little to nothing on field to make you think Ryans was "average" - he was still recovering from the Achilles tear, and was still decidedly above average in his play. Had he played his regular set of downs, he was looking at 90+ tackles, a feat when playing next to a monster like Cushing.

I've yet to hear one person adequately lay out why Ryans was a bad fit as a 3-4 ILB, other than parrot Wade/Herring....who also have yet to back up that statement with any sort of reasoning.

Ultimately, I'm not angry at the team for the swap. Given the cap issues, the cost-benefit was called for. I just don't like the knee jerk facetious attempts to bury an extremely good player. James is absolutely a downgrade, even if you don't consider Ryans' leadership.

1 person likes this.
  11. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

I think it has more to do with Ryans no longer being a difference maker last season. He was solid, but thats about it. And thats nothing to scoff at.

12. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The DeMeco Ryans deal was a money-saving move, and nothing more. For what he was getting paid, his production on the field was not matching up. Be it his injury, the fact that he was a bit neutralized in the 3-4, or a combination of both, his output under Wade's system was not lining up with his pay. The Texans decided to move him while they could get decent value for him, and brought in a veteran to take his place.

I think I lie somewhere between Herring and Solomon on the subject....I will not be quick to jump to the conclusion that Bradie James is going to be a 1 for 1 swap of Ryans, but I'm also not going to call anyone who claims that to be the truth an idiot the way Soloman did. I say we give it time before we make that assessment, but as of right now, I still feel like Ryans will be a hell of a player in Philly. But, I feel like moving him was the right move for the future of the Texans.

13. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

But, but, but... James has a cell phone!

14. HollaIFyaHEMI

HollaIFyaHEMI Contributing Member

DeMeco Ryans was a liability in the passing game and was never a game-changer. He was a solid MLB who made tackles after the RB already gained 5-6 yards. Rarely did he make any "splash" plays.

15. Hey Now!

Phillips wasn’t “quick to yank him” - you honestly sound like Ryan’s agent. When the *scheme* switched to a 4-3 (which it very often does under Phillips), Cushing - not the coaching staff - pushed Ryans to the sideline by thoroughly, embarrassingly outplaying him. Cushing rendered Ryans expendable.

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I LOVED Ryans while he was here, but I kind of agree with this. He was the anchor of the defense and the emotional leader, no doubt. I'm not discounting this. But while he piled up tackles at the MLB position, very few of them were for losses. He only has 8.5 career sacks in 6 years and only 3 in the last 4 years. Very few tackles for losses as well.

He was a rock-solid MLB and the leader of the defense. He was never a game-changer, though. Never to be confused with a Ray Lewis, Mike Singletary, Junior Seau, etc.

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Loving how people seem to just throw **** on Demeco now that he's gone. It's sad.

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

If we found a better player for a better price, great.

Can't wait to see it on the field.

19. Hey Now!

He was a victim of circumstance, though. Had he played for Wade Phillips six years ago, I think he would have have a much greater career here. As is, he played for poor coordinators who surrounded him with inferior talent. He likely overachieved while he was here, given that.

20. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Cushing averages ~7 stuffs among his 108 tackles per year. 5/114 last year (4 sacks). In limited action, Demeco had 6 stuffs out of his 44 tackles, averaging 5/100 over his career.

Especially in this system, ILB is largely there to catch whatever slips past the penetrating front 5. You look for your TFLs from the line and maybe the OLBs.

You can't send your entire corps across the line of scrimmage and leave the second level wide open.

Again, not saying the Texans did us wrong or him wrong. They went from overpaying a very good player to paying a decent player at a bargain rate (my opinion). As cap moves go, this was one of the better ones they pulled, especially considering the impact it had on the draft haul.

But I can't help this was a matter of Wade/Herring not giving a pre-existing player a chance and hustling to bring over one of their own guys in a semi-buddy move manner. But as long as Sharpton gets a fair crack, and the team kicks butt, I can't complain.