1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NFL] Brandon Marshall traded to Dolphins

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by countingcrow, Apr 14, 2010.

1. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

http://blogs.nfl.com/2010/04/14/dolphins-acquire-marshall-from-denver/

The Denver Broncos have traded wide receiver Brandon Marshall to the Miami Dolphins for two second-round picks, according to a league source.

Marshall, who was a restricted free agent, had signed his $2.521 million tender from the Broncos on Tuesday, a move that facilitated the trade of the mercurial receiver.

It was reported earlier that the Seattle Seahawks had shown interest.

Marshall posted his third consecutive 100-catch season last year and made his second consecutive trip to the Pro Bowl despite several run-ins with Broncos coach Josh McDaniels. Marshall had an NFL-record 21 receptions during a Dec. 13 loss at Indianapolis, and his 10 touchdowns for the season were a career best.

But for all his talents on the field, Marshall has had several run-ins with the law and visits to NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell’s office to discuss off-the-field behavior. Marshall was suspended for the 2008 season opener following a series of domestic disputes involving a former girlfriend.

Last summer, the Broncos suspended Marshall for throwing a tantrum during a training-camp practice. The source of Marshall’s frustration was twofold: He was upset with the team’s medical staff for misdiagnosing a hip injury that required offseason surgery, and he was displeased with his contract.

Marshall earned $2.2 million last season in the final year of the deal that he signed in 2006 as a fourth-round pick out of Central Florida. He wants to be compensated like other elite wide receivers in the NFL, which would mean a pay hike of $6 million to $8 million annually.

2. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Broncos have gotten rid of Cutler , now Marshall . Big move for Dolphins to keep up in the AFC East with Pats and Jets. Bills on the other hand.......... OH NO OH NO !!! :)

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I think the Dolphins overpaid, and I also think he won't make much noise until he is a given a better QB than Chad Henne.

4. The Joker

The Joker Member

Chad Henne made some strides the last few years. He is an above average QB... This year will be his make or break year and I think he'll be just fine. If you watch the Dolphins, the amount of drops didn't help his stats. With Marshall, he has a legit number one and you'll see his true potential.

5. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

AFC East now has the best and most thuggish/crazy WRs:

Brandon Marshall
    Santonio Holmes
    Terrell Owens
    Randy Moss

6. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

While it's too early to tell how good Henne will be in the NFL, it's a little far-fetched to call him an "above-average quarterback". I will agree that he shouldn't be judged until he has someone the caliber of Marshall to throw the ball to. I guess we will see as soon as this season what type of QB he will end being.

7. rhino17

rhino17 Member

You have to give up a lot if you want a player like him in return. It's not too much for an elite WR imo. That being said, you are right about Henne

He has only been in the league 2 years and was only a starter for 1. No way he is an above average QB, he is not a top 15 in the league

8. The Joker

The Joker Member

Ok, maybe above average was pushing it, but he has shown flashes of being a good QB with high potential. This will be the year we find out how good he is, he has the running game and a legit number 1 to throw to. I think he'll do just fine.

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

It seems like with the baggage he was carrying, and the fact that his departure from Denver was inevitable would make his asking price a little less.

Add in the fact that we've seen a few players get traded away for peanuts recently, and it seems like the Dolphins really got railroaded in this deal.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Owens is a free agent.

11. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

Nugs collapse.

Bzdelik leaves CU.

Now this.

I'm giving up on sports.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

The whole Marshall hate/love/hate thing with the new coach was strange last year. Did this move surprise you?

13. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Is the Miami night life a good thing for him?

14. Ramu3

Ramu3 Member

Lol very good point now thinkin about it .....South Beach here we come ! I would figure Bill Parcells and Sparano would be interested in becomin his Wingmen :)

15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That pisses me off too, I thought they had a good shot at the tourny next season

16. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I could see 1 2nd rounder but 2?

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

good trade for the broncos, get rid of a powderkeg

18. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing...too much IMHO...

19. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Compared to what Jerrry Jones gave up for Roy Williams the Dolphins got a steal. :mad:

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

The Dolphins overpaid, but it's a good move to keep them competitive in the AFC East. Ginn just isn't reliable in anything, and pairing Henne up with a young, stud receiver like Marshall is a good move for his development. The Jets are trying to run away with that division, but now Miami might be able to hang with them. If they have a good draft, Miami might be a team to reckon with this season.