1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NEWB] PC BUILD

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by FlyerFanatic, Nov 30, 2013.

1. HeWhoIsLunchbox

How much more room do you have to work with in terms of card length? In that picture, it looks like you don't have much. Not sure which 970 you're looking at, but I know my MSI GTX 970 Gaming 4G is 10.6" long and the EVGA GTX 570 you currently have in there is 9".

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

His case is huge. will easily fit.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

Ok, good. That picture fooled me into thinking he only had like 0.5" of room left.

4. jchu14

jchu14 Member

That is a crazy looking case lol. You'll be fine with the fans you have now, but more fans won't hurt. Apparently that case can support up to a crazy 15 fans! I would take this chance to see if your current fans are still in good shape (no wobble, no clicking noise). Replace if it's worn.

You have a ton of space in that case, so you'll be fine with respect to gpu clearance.

Good luck with the new addition!

5. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

The case isn't that awesome because it is basically just a big open frame. I think you would want a case fan moving air in on every component. HDD, CPU and GPU intakes.

6. Caesar

Caesar Member

So naturally would it be helpful if i used my Honeywell rotating fan to the side of the computer sucking air and pushing out to the front of the room or just let natural air flow of the case fans do their work?

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Member

No just watch the temperatures and if a specific component is getting hot pop a case fan near it. It looks like you can put one anywhere. That case has to be loud as hell. It has survived this long and the 970 is only 150 watts. I wasn't talking about your build, just the case in general.

8. Caesar

Caesar Member

It is pretty loud to me, though i don't know how loud other set ups get to compare.
    Are there programs i can download to see temperatures of each component etc? I read something about EVGA Precision?

9. Caesar

Caesar Member

I downloaded a program, only with a browser and 8 tabs open, a bit torrent program running, my temps are
    [​IMG]

That looks bad. Is that bad? How freaking hot does it get when playing games?

10. Caesar

Caesar Member

Okay, i'm trying to update BIOS and i notice my last update is far behind. Do i download the last one or do i have to download each update in order since my last update to the newest one?

11. Caesar

Caesar Member

nevermind got my answer-latest it is.

12. VanityHalfBlack

I don't play games or watch movies on my computer. Just serve baby serve. You can get a super-computer 64 bit now for like $18 on kickstarter. $18, that's less than buying grade A steak!!!!

<iframe width="480" height="360" src="https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/pine64/pine-a64-first-15-64-bit-single-board-super-comput/widget/video.html" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"> </iframe>

13. Caesar

Caesar Member

Ugh. So i went into device manager to update chipsets, so i click search the internet for driver, it detects and downloads and gets to the install part. Notice its taking a long time so i go do something else and come back an hour later its still saying installing. I think strange but maybe normal, so i come back another half hour later and it still says installing..i realized this is not right bc msot of the time ive updated through device manager it took like a few seconds to a minute at most. Try to close it but it tells me i cant so i go to task manager and end task.

Next i read about the problem and find that it's best for me to restore to an earlier point in case anything got messed up. I do so. Set to restore to yesterday's windows update, check what it programs it affects and it brings it intel update, so i think perfect, ill undo whatever it was. Preparing restore....still preparing..come back an hour later Still preparing. i've done a system restore and it never took that long. So i end task it.
    Next i try and restart the computer. goes to the windows restarting screen...stuck again telling me its restarting but nothing is happening. These aren't freezes, its just looping and showing the loading symbols. So then i decide i have to manually hold down the power button and after i do it, it goes to a weird blue screen ive never seen before telling me my computer has problems and its going to restart, so then it loads from 0% to 100% and finally restarts.

Right now i don't know if i should mess with anything. Maybe i should have updated the bios first?

14. Caesar

Caesar Member

Should i try and restore to yesterday again?

15. jchu14

jchu14 Member

Instead of doing that, try download and install the proper chipset drivers from mobo maker's website.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8P67_EVO/HelpDesk_Download/

I don't know what OS you have, but I've gotten into the habit of doing right click, then 'run as administrator' whenever I install a driver. That just tends to avoid some of the problems with permissions when you install something.

16. Caesar

Caesar Member

just did: error this computer does not meet the minimum requirements for installing the software

17. jchu14

jchu14 Member

Are you downloading the right version? 64 bit?

What OS are you running? which file are you trying to install?

18. Caesar

Caesar Member

Windows 10 64 bit

Im trying Windows 8 64 bit bc they dont have win 10 listed. Im downloading the only file under chipset. Ive already updated the BIOS using Asus Suite 2

19. Caesar

Caesar Member

When i updated BIOS it said something about installing the same version again, is that right?

20. jchu14

jchu14 Member

if it's telling you that you are installing the same version again, then you don't need to update. No need to install the same thing again.

It looks like the latest BIOS version is 3602. You should go into the bios and double check that's the version you have. To get into bios, hit 'delete' key right when the computer boots up, before windows loads.

Let me see if i can find a windows 10 chipset driver on intel's site.