1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEW Yao Ming - Interview on Retirement, Life, Rockets, China

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SunsRocketsfan, Sep 2, 2011.

1. SunsRocketsfan

There is already another thread that was created and I posted a direct embbed but I think the title wasnt very descriptive so a lot of you may miss this really awesome interview with Yao. Mods feel free to merge.

Yao talks about his life after retirement, getting fat and gaining 20-30lbs (he does look chubby). Also was asked the question if he would ever consider coming back. He didn't get a definite no and even said Doctors said he could still play another 2-3 years but there were no gurantees he would not get hurt again and that his consdiering for his long term health is why he made his decision to retire.

Yao talked about how he definitely didnt live up to his NBA dream of winning a championship and thought how if he was healthy and they could have beat the Lakers that year they had a good chance of going to the finals. He talked about how it was like coming to the NBA and how he was really scared at the airport and even had 2nd thoughts. Talked about his battles against Shaq. A funny side note he talked about there wasn't any big cultural barriers but his translater Collin Pine did use the word "Nei Ge" which just means Ummm in Chinese but sounds like N*g*er and that caused some stares at first till they explained the meaning. :)

Talked about how he thought his career could have been extended if his national team duties were handled better but said he hopes that he could change and pave the way for future Chinese players. Talked about how it was frustrating when he turned 21 and he wanted to play against the best in the world but because of Chinese politics at the time he wasnt allowed to. But said he just had to wait, be patient and used timing on when to pick his fights.

Anyways a really good interview and really just shows how awesome a person Yao is. I haven't really been following up with him since he retired and since he got injured but just thought this interview was pretty awesome and he offered a lot of insights on not just playing with the Rockets in the NBA but also just about life in general.

Check it out.

<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/yahoo%20sports/site/player.html#shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fsports.yahoo.com%2Fvideo%2Fplayer%2Fnews%2FGraham_Bensinger_InDepth%2F26481595&vid=26481595&browseCarouselUI=hide&startScreenCarouselUI=hide"></iframe></div>

5 people like this.
  2. rox4lyf

rox4lyf Member

good stuff...really deep interview

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

That was fantastic, thanks!

4. SunsRocketsfan

yea Yao genuinely seems like a awesome human being. Love his interviews just because he offers a lot of insight not just on the court but off the court. Love hearing about his relationships with other players, coaches and friendships he's made in the league. I'm glad he will continue to be involved in basketball and the Rockets. He really seems to appreciate everything the Rockets organization has done for him and wants to give back and continue and play a huge role and make a impact.

5. sinobball

sinobball Member

Damn he's so fat!

6. liljojo

liljojo Member

Sigh...I'm gonna miss the big guy so much.

7. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great interview....Gonna miss him...

8. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Good interview

9. SunsRocketsfan

yup didnt know he had the fat genes in him.. guess he does.. he better still work out a bit otherwise that fat photoshop pic of yao might come true.

10. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Kinda depressing stuff, in some ways. Thanks for sharing the link and info.

11. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

I didn't know there is a 'NEW' Yao Ming out there. Does he have the same skill set and size as Yao with bionic legs? We have a max contract waiting for him if the answer is yes.

12. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Newer. Fatter. Lazier.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Yao got chubby. He new Barkley.

14. Carl Herrera

What's with all the testing data on the board at 9:51? Who are "Badger," "Pistol" and "Tank"?

15. showtang043

showtang043 Member

Rockets are lucky in regards to having not just two of the best centers, but two of the highest character, humble, great human beings as our superstars in the past two decades. Too bad injuries didn't pan out, but we still are lucky to have the guy.

16. Carl Herrera

I agree. Yao and Chuck Hayes are class acts.

17. cod

cod Member

Weren't YOFs always offended by this suggestion whenever someone posted this opinion?

18. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

I saw parts of this interview in Yahoo, already. nice interview.

In the part talking about Shaq, and in other part, he wanted to make jokes, but the interviewer didnt laugh, only Yao did, haha, that was funny.

19. SunsRocketsfan

Yup YOFs went ape **** when someone suggested this. Wonder where those YOFs are now that Yao has said it himself

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure YOFs were trying to say the Rockets should lessen Yao's load because he has those commitments.

Or maybe not. These arguments are from so long ago so I can't remember. Although I've always had the opinion, once Yao started to get injured, that he should go the Shaq and take 30 games off to start the season so he's more likely to last til the playoffs. Whether this thought makes me a YOF... well, I probably have that tag anyway. So meh...