1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New, Used Car Advice: What to get??

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by JayZ750, Jan 23, 2015.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So my lease is coming up. I have a 2012 Kia Optima Turbo leased. I put VERY little mileage on my car. 3 years, i have about $12k miles. The upside is that I probably have some profit in my Kia - meaning I can sell for over my buyout price. Not exactly sure. The downside is that in reality I don't really need to be getting anything new, and probably shouldn't have last time... but Kia gave me a great deal.

I'm not wanting to keep the Kia. It's been pleasantly a really nice car with great pick-up, yada, yada... but I'm just not 100% sold on it.

I'm thinking something used, under $20k, with some premium features, or something a bit quirky. I posted a couple months ago about classic cars - that'd be my dream, but apparently there a b**** and a half to keep working consistently without issue and I don't have time for issues.

So looks like I can get in a number of 2007 forward, 4 door, sedan/luxury sedans.

I'm seeing a ton of Nissan Maxima's for example. I've never owned a Maxima. Thoughts? Any other brands that would consider.

As an outlier, there are a couple of BMW 335's I've looked at but they have 90k+ miles. My brain is saying that's risky. Thoughts? Can you get third party warranties on these things that really work?

2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Everything I've read about those 3rd party warranties is that they're awful. Plus Consumer Reports says extended warranties for cars are a bad deal. I'd stay away and get a low mileage car.

I personally love Mazda's. Perhaps the Mazda6?

Also, don't watch Matthew McConaughey unless you want a Lincoln.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

Stay away from a luxury car with that mileage. If you want a bmw, lease it. Too expensive to repair.

You could look at getting a CPO, but some of those are complete garbage warranties.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the kia was not good? I see the certified optimas to be cheap.

5. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

How about a G35? I had one for a while and really enjoyed it.

6. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Mazda6 bro, Mazda6.

Great drive, great mileage.

7. JayZ750

Actually, it was good. In fact, if my choice is between my Kia, with 12k miles, or moving into a used Mazda6 or the like, to save a few thousand bucks, I'll just keep the Kia.

The thought process is I can either:
    (i) find a Camry V6 or the like that is 4 years old, with 40k-50k miles for very low teens... or

(ii) Get a more luxury brand, with more mileage, in the low teens to high teens, to get into something like a 335i, or A4, or whatever...

Sounds like no one likes the 3rd party warranties which perhaps squashes that train of thought.

My Kia is probably worth about $20k now since my mileage is so so low, and its an SX Turbo

8. JayZ750

I have no problem with Mazda's... but they strike me as in a similar class as the Kia. I realize others might not view Kia that way yet, but if you compare models they are very similar. I have a nice used Kia with very low mileage that never causes problems that I could just keep...

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Maxima's are having a huge sale (or had) you could probably get a brand new one for 25k.

Stay the hell away from a BMW with anywhere near 90k miles on it unless you have some fat pockets for maintenance and repairs.

What exactly are you looking for? Family car? Fun car? Reliable? Luxury?

Luxury you could probably get a decent A3 with under 50k miles for under 20k, Sam with some infinity's.

Fun cars , camaros just had a pretty big sale, mustangs just released a new generation so you could probably get used v6 with low miles for well under 20k

Family cars maximas, altimas and compacts suv's are good for barely used under 20kw

And reliable cars you can get brand new civics for under 20k

10. JayZ750

^ I need 4 doors. It's not a family car, but need the option for it to carry kids in the back.

I need under $20k

I'd prefer some "fun" - be that either in zip, in luxury, whatever.

I don't have to have the latest and greatest tech, bluetooth, GPS/Nav, etc. but do require leather/leather-like seats (this is Texas after all), and would like keyless entry, push-button start but those aren't big deals either...

Which basically means don't get a used BMW with that many miles... because if I wanted to spend money, I'd just get a newer one with manufacturer warranty, not an older one that I am going to ultiamtely spend up on for r&m

My brain said this was obvious, but my desire for torque was pushing for 3rd party warranties working...

11. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Infiniti G37

12. tinman

Supporting Member

What about an accord

13. JayZ750

My gut is telling me I'll be bored with this.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

I've got 230k on mine. Was thinking of a new car soon and wondered about the kia. Might get another accord since it's a warrior

15. JayZ750

Right, my brain is telling me an accord is a solid option. Great great value.
    If I got an accord and drove it till it had 230k miles on it, that'd be in about 30+ years... ;)

16. marky :)

marky :) Member

A new or used 4-door Volkswagen Golf. Great reviews all around, they offer enough packages/models to meet your price range/needs. Fun car to drive and very solid.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

Well if you don't drive that much, you could lease right? You can get a bmw or something and not worry about maintenance.

18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What would you think of a 4 door Golf GTI?

It's fun, practical, comes with nice options and is in your price range.

19. Mack

Mack Contributing Member

I have a 2012 Honda Accord, a 2001 Honda Accord, and a 2005 Infiniti G35. The Accords are dead reliable (old one has 190k on it), but yeah, they can be a little boring.

I bought a used 2005 G35 sedan in 2009 for $19k. It has a 6-speed and ~300 hp so it's pretty fun. Also has 4 doors and leather seats. I like it a lot.

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

My 08 528i has about 85k miles. I got it new and thankfully have not had any major issues, but it does worry me about maintenance costs in the future.

I loved it so much though that last year I also got a 08 X5. It only had 33k miles and I got it for 30k. I actually think it's even more fun to drive, probably because it has the v8.