1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

netflix vs blockbuster online vs intelliflix

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rm365, May 19, 2006.

1. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I just signed up for netflix free trial but I heard that they do a bait and switch on you after the trial ends... ie) they ship movies fast early on, but after you're hooked and you're credit card gets charged, they slow it down considerably (especially if you try to rent lots of movies by returning them fast).
    I've heard blockbuster online is considerably better, but then I read on the net that intelliflix is good cuz its cheaper and you can rent pr0n and video games with it. I don't know how fast they are with shipping however.
    Does anyone have any experience with any of these services? Thanks.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I've had NetFlix for about 2 years now and have never had a problem with shipping. They are always super fast. If I drop it in the mail today, it is there tomorrow and the day after I have new movies. It doesn't get much quicker than that.

3. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I used Netflix for a long time, but they were slightly more than BB. I switched to BB, but had delivery problems (takes longer and had the wrong DVD a few times). Then BB raised their price.

I switched back to Netflix.

4. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

I like Netflix.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I've heard this before. I don't know where it comes from.

I've been with Netflix for about a year now. I put a movie in the mailbox, they get it the next day and mail off my new one usually on the same day. I've never had to wait for a movie.

My only problem with them is the DVDs are always dirty. I've had to send a few back because they were skipping. Pretty much all of them you'll want to clean with some Windex before you watch them. Other than that, no problems at all.

I think Netflix ships from Houston and BB ships from Dallas. That might be why Netflix is so much faster.

6. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I started out on BB but their turn around time was about 6 business days (over a week). I wanted to watch 3 movies per weekend, but with their shipping schedule, I'd end up going to the movie rental place because sometimes BB would leave me movieless over a weekend.

I then switched to Netflix and have been satisfied. If I ship a movie on Monday, I get a new movie on Wednesday. Now if you churn them on them, they will skip you on some new releases. But I find that if I go through @12 movies a month, they will still send me new releases if I ship them movies by Saturday or Monday (Tuesday release). I had a couple of months where I churned about 15-20 movies a month and they would bypass me on the new release and it would take forever to get new release movies. It took a couple of months to get my status back down to where they'd send me new releases on the release date.

BB did up their coupons to 1 per week which would keep me from being movieless on a weekend, but I've been happy with Netflix.

7. Cesar^Geronimo

I have BB and like the rental coupon.

Turnaround time for me isn't so bad --- I guess it depends how close you are to the mail center.

If I get my movies in the mail box Monday AM I have the new movies by Friday

8. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I've had both and I've been the most pleased with BB. One in store coupon a week for a free movie rental is deece, and their turn around is about 2-3 days. I was waiting over a week with Netflix. It's also much easier to find new releases and doc's on BB's site, as Netflix's is a complete mess.

Also, when you cancel with NF they ask for all movies back immediately. I turned mine in early and was still charged $22 for a non returned movie. Their customer service wouldn't even give me the benefit of the doubt so it's adios foevah to those fools. If I see them I will fight them with my ninja starz.

9. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

The "fast" BB service was about the same level as the slow Netflix one, so I'd go with Netflix just for that, but BB has a weird queue system too. They don't ship what you have listed as your number one DVD. They only ship DVD's that are available at the closest shipment center to you, so if that center doesn't have the DVD you want then you won't get it. They will continually skip over that DVD (or DVDs) for something lower on your list. Kind of sucks if you're looking for a specific and it isn't a blockbuster hit.

Since there are free and or cheap introductory things for both BB and Netflix, try them both out. It isn't hard to cancel (a couple clicks on the computer), so it isn't a big deal.

I haven't tried Intelliflix, but I've heard it's bad verging on a total scam.

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Good point. I was sent a TV series out of order. Hello? Don't send a TV series out of sequence please.

11. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Throttling, as it is called, was a factor with Netflix for some time for heavier renters. Eventually Netflix admitted they did this and gave their justification (which, actually, made sense).

I was throttled on-and-off for about a year. Usually early in the week. If Netflix received a movie from me on Monday, they wouldn't ship a replacement until Tuesday. Movies received Tuesday had replacements ship Wednesday, etc. Once I got to Thursday, the movies shipped same day.

However, ever since December, Netflix has stopped throttling me altogether. I've not changed my rental habits and am still a relatively heavy renter.

I've rented from Blockbuster Online, as well. I didn't like them as much, even though I could rent more titles from them (both in terms of them having shorter waits on new releases, in general, and because they let you report a movie as returned after three days and then immediately ship out the replacement).

I had the out-of-order thing happen with them, as well. Something that never happens to me with Netflix.

12. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'm with Netflix and never had an issue with their turnaround times either. I'm not a heavy renter. Never had a problem getting new releases from them either. Oh, and Blockbuster is evil and must pay for their crappy business practices from before Netflix came along.