1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Netanyahu's Government Ads Discouraging Marriage with American Jews

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Nov 30, 2011.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

America's greatest ally strikes again:

http://www.theatlantic.com/internat...israelis-avoid-marrying-american-jews/249166/

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is just my experience but I've met more rabid Pro-Israel American Jews compared to Israelis that I have known who were much more circumspect about Israel. Also the Israelis I've met haven't been that religious where as I have known quite a few American Jews who were very religious.

3. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

It's not about religion. It's ethnocentric nationalism. That's the point. American Jews aren't Israelis. American Jews = bad.

4. meh

meh Contributing Member

Of all the ethnic groups in the world, you'd think the Jews and their long history of persecution would be the last people to do this sort of thing.

5. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Right wing Palestinians would do the same thing. It used to surprise me, now I realize people will forget anything for the right amount of money (land too in these examples).

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Netanyahu does not seem like a leader that will bring more peace and understanding.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

The scary thing is Netanyahu is sort of in the middle of the Israeli spectrum He is what Israel has become . Apartheid is brutal to the oppressor also. You can't have apartheid and remain a bunch of nice little moderates just making the desert bloom. Aparrtheid failed in So. Africa and will fail in Israel.

All it will take is a moderate boycott in the US to make it crumble rapidly and the tide is turning. A young friend in NYC tells me more and more of her liberal Jewish friends are embarassed to be associated with Israel We may be returning to the day when American Jews don't see Israel as being the essence of Juadism.

Boycott Sabra branded humus for instance. . It is sold at Costco and many local markets. The company supports brutal West Bank expansionism.

#7 glynch, Dec 1, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  8. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

I would have been infuriated at the notion of BDS years ago...but living here makes me see things very differently. I don't see anything changing until the US stops giving Israel a blank diplomatic check no matter how much guys like Bibi embarrass the US.

It says an awful lot when even the head of the ADL is embarrassed.

Yet at the same time, US politicians can't bend low enough to kiss Israeli politicians' butts. As an American here and seeing first-hand how one-sided the relationship is, I don't get it.

1 person likes this.
  9. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One more reason to vote for Obama in 2012: Bibi has been counting on a GOP victory giving him control over US policy (remember Bachmanns' "No Daylight" between US and Israel line).

The only way to keep the Israelis from going completely off the reservation of rationality is to re-elect Obama (who has bent to Israel's wishes in many areas, but hasn't been the Israel lackey that the GOP candidates profess they will be).

1 person likes this.
  10. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Bachman is a nutjob Christian Zionist. When she was 16 yrs roughly she spent a summer in Israel as part of her religious extremism.