1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need Strategy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by giddyup, Dec 13, 2012.

1. giddyup

giddyup Member

My daughter came home sick from school, mid-day on Thursday, December 6th. She was nauseated and feverish. Unfortunately that was the night of her 7th grade Christmas Choral concert-- from which we kept her home for health considerations, both hers and others.

Today she brings home a note from the teacher requiring her to write a five page report on a composer-- due in ONE WEEK. There are specific details on the completeness required but what really gets me is the closing paragraph which states that she expects my daughter to spend at least 3 hours on the paper since the concert and cleanup would have taken at least three hours of her time had she attended...

Oh and my daughter has an "F" for the "concert portion" of her grade in Chorus.

I'm debating whether to take this to the chorus teacher first or just go straight to the principal. This seems overly petty and punitive and really kind of childish. What would you do?

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You man up and confront that son b****. Have somebody recording for legal purposes and yell WORLD STAR.

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!
    Supporting Member

Look up the district rules on grading and absences. Then go to the principal.

4. Pringles

Pringles Member

Say what you want to say to the teacher.

And if they still demand your daughter to write the paper, then I would tell her not to write it. Just to shove it in their face.

Middle school grades do not matter in terms of college acceptance.

There is no reason for your daughter to right a five page report. That is just ridiculous.

5. Pringles

Pringles Member

6. heypartner

heypartner Member

Forget the teacher....girl might be pregnant.

7. BigBird

BigBird Member

I understand her having to do a paper, but as for the grade she shouldn't receive an F because the paper will, according to her teacher, take the place of her being at the concert.

8. Refman

Refman Member

Talk to the principal and the teacher in a conference. This is the seventh grade, it is December, and kids get sick. Certainly something can be worked out that makes sense. They do not want to encourage ill kids to show up at events.

9. David Stern

David Stern Member

I LOL'ed

10. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Member

Honestly, I am a student and I would just write the paper. What else can she do? She was sick and did not participate in the concert whereas her other classmates did. It's really not a big deal and this is a common substitution for these type of music classes. Hell it'll even be good for her since she gets to practice her writing skills whereas bull**** music skills won't help her in college. If she gets a bad grade on the class/paper, who gives a flip... It's middle school and your grades don't matter.

I read the comments before I read the actual OP and I was imagining a teacher violated your kid or something...

11. Classic

Classic Member

curb stomp?

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Member

Prayers sent.

13. KingStevo10

KingStevo10 Member

write the paper for your daughter and assure the teacher your daughter wrote it but then the teacher will think you wrote the paper for your daughter but then why would you lie to the teacher about writing the paper for your daughter so in the end the teacher will ask your daughter who wrote the paper and before school you will tell her that she your daughter wrote the paper so when the teacher asks your daughter she will tell the teacher that she your daughter wrote the paper and in the end the teacher will have to believe she your daughter wrote the paper somewhere in the paper you will write about how much this teacher blows at grading concerts and cleanups and you would give her a paper to write about because she the teacher is a bad teacher.

14. Pringles

Pringles Member

This is really confusing.

So what your telling him to do is to write the paper for his daughter and assure the teacher his daughter wrote it but then the teacher will think he wrote the paper for his daughter but then why would he lie to the teacher about writing the paper for his daughter so in the end the teacher will ask his daughter who wrote the paper and before school he will tell her that she his daughter wrote the paper so when the teacher asks his daughter she will tell the teacher that she his daughter wrote the paper and in the end the teacher will have to believe she his daughter wrote the paper somewhere in the paper he will write about how much this teacher blows at grading concerts and cleanups and he would give her a paper to write about because she the teacher is a bad teacher.

15. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

[​IMG]

16. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Writing the paper is fine, but I would talk to her about the F grade. Ask if there's something to do to make it up since she was ill which is an excused absence. Offer to take her to see a concert, or what the teacher has in mind.

As long as she makes up the work she shouldn't receive an F.

17. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Member

Im under the impression that the paper will make up for the F. Is that correct?

18. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Pay me $50 I'll write it.

19. wizkid83

wizkid83 Member

Can you actually get held back if you fail chorus? Do middle school grades even matter?

If you answer NO to both of the answer, just tell your daughter to forget about it. If you really care though, make sure they're in as much honor classes they can handle once in HS to maximize their GPA for college admission.

20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

Yeah...I'm thinking the F is leverage for completing the paper. Otherwise, it's a dick thing to do to get double F'd.

Just write the paper and spend the 3 hours. One week, 5 pages double spaced...for middle school aint no thang man. That's what wikipedia and syntax revisions are for. Sources? 5 rando books from the library, lather rinse and repeat. Unless it's college standards, I'd brush it off.

And going to the principal? CMON, he/she has bigger things on the plate than this. Don't enable your kids for you to solve their challenges, especially something this weaksauce in pettiness. It's not her fault she got sick, but if she were an adult, this crap happens all the freakin time. She can't go to you when that happens.

If it were me that have to eat this assignment, I'd make it utterly painful to read like what stevo posted.

It's middle school man. Save those parent chips for when she gets drunk, steals a car and runs over your neighbors cat. Or something like that...