1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Need help with wiring a golf cart for accessories

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Blatz, Nov 1, 2020.

1. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I have severe Psoriatic arthritis in my legs and can't get down on the ground so later this week I have someone coming over rewire my golf cart. They will be getting the headlights working again and fixing aux plug. The current wiring has either come loose or just doesn't work anymore. I won't be able to talk to him again until he arrives or maybe right before he does. I'm hoping that I can get everything he might need so it all can be done that day and that is the problem. I'm not sure what to get. I want to be able to add different 12 volt accessories easily down the line. I forgot to tell him that part but he did say if I needed anything else to go a head and get it and he'll take care of it.

Can anyone here help me with what I might or should get? Not looking for expensive toys for it.

What he knows he is doing
    1. Fixing the headlights or installing new ones
    2. Fixing the AUX plug
    3. anything else within reason
    What he doesn't know is I want to be able to easily add different accessories later on like LED lights or whatever. (I hope that is within reason...lol)

What I do or will have for him
    1. tools he'll most likely need even though I'm sure he will have his own
    2. New headlights and a wiring kit
    3. New AUX plug
    4. A voltage reducer/regulator/converter 48 volt to 12 volt
    Is there anything else I'm not thinking of or might want to consider? Because of the condition of my legs I'm hoping for some kind of hub that can be installed in convenient spot for later use.

2. CrazyJoeDavola

Depends. Are you gonna make it all 220?

3. Blatz

???

LOL I think I know less than I realized. I knew I shouldn't have tried to do two things at once when I talked to him

4. ATXNekko

ATXNekko Member

Definitely should consider adding a mini fridge and blender. What about the tunes? What about rims?

Blatz likes this.
  5. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

A voltage reducer/regulator/converter 48 volt to 12 volt

Is a fuse block or similar going to be used with the reducer/regulator/converter?

6. Blatz

This is what I was about to order. >>>Link<<< or something similar

7. Mango

Read the very first review at that link and notice the suggestion for an inline fuse holder.

2. Fixing the AUX plug

On the AUX that you are going to have him fix, is there a fuse somewhere in the wiring? If there is, then it seems logical to think about having a fuse for the new AUX plug that you are going to have him install.

Perhaps there is a fuse for the headlights as well.

Blatz likes this.
  8. Exiled

Exiled Member

4 points relay & shrink tape

Blatz likes this.
  9. Mango

Blatz likes this.
  10. Blatz

Ah thank you

11. Mango

Maybe some time spent doing investigative work prior to having the wiring fixed/updated would be helpful.

Whether it is taking some pictures of the existing wiring setup and forward to your friend or searching the Internet for
    wiring diagrams specific to your golf cart might be helpful. Maybe there is a spare fuse already there for an additional AUX port and maybe there isn't.

It can be a pain to order extra parts and have to send unneeded parts back. It can also be a pain to have everything but one
    key part and he has to come back another time to finish the job.

12. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I use Coastal Cruisers in Galveston for service on my golf cart. Chris has been fair and does good work. He has installed a stereo on mine, headlights, seats, speedometer, high speed electric motor etc... The stereo has a USB port that I use for aux stuff.

TWS1986 likes this.
  13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, 220, 221 - whatever it takes.

CrazyJoeDavola likes this.
  14. Blatz

loooooolllll.........

joke grenade just went off like a thermal detonator when I read your post