1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Need Help] quarter life crisis?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LCAhmed, Sep 13, 2013.

1. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

So I am 23, about to be 24. So far my life has been pretty bland. School, work, growing up, etc. As of late, I, much like a man who has hit 50, want excitement in my life. My outlet? Wanting to trade in my Altima for a sports car, luxury car, or a very fast car that isn't considered sport (by insurance purposes). I have really ruled out some of the bigger body cars like escalades, navigators, etc. I have targeted older used Sedan/Coupe/Convertibles like 335i, c350 sport, 350z, audi tt, pontiac solstice, saturn sky, etc. Things I can trade my altima in towards and pay MINIMAL out of pocket.

Anyway, I post here in hopes of EITHER clarity on what is wrong with my life and why I am getting this "crisis" at this age, or better car advice so I can make the right decision.

KEY NOTES. I am 6'1 and have a bigger frame. I was not very comfortable in some of the roadsters I drove but there were only 2 so far that I have driven. Looking to be practical (as practical as this situation allows) for insurance, maintenance, etc.

2. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

the problem isn't the car you have. it's yourself. when your happiness is based on external stimuli you're never going to be content. the novelty of your new car will wear off within a month or two, then you'll look for bigger and faster again. next thing you know you're in debt up to your neck which only makes your life worse.

you have to work on yourself. find out why you're truly not happy. i can tell you it's not because you don't have a sports car.

i think what most people are looking for is freedom, either from their job, relationship, or expectations. try to recognize what's keeping you down, then you can find a real solution.

1 person likes this.
  3. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

I thought you were gonna stop being a b****?

3 people like this.
  4. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

For some reason, this sentence made me laugh.

You can either tell me what's wrong with my life.....or what kind of car I should buy. Either or.

1 person likes this.
  5. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Do what the mid-lifers do.

Find a chick half your age, lure her in with a nice car and shiny things then bone the hell out of her.

6. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

I think its because you are settled into a routine, i am only a little bit older than you and i feel the same way at times, but i am trying to change things up so i don't feel like asking "is this it?" all the time. i started working out and travel (by myself) in the last year and its been pretty interesting, met a lot of cool people and refreshes the mind.

also i go on facebook and errbody is getting married these days, not sure how these people deal with the monotony at such a young age haha

2 people like this.
  7. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

Do you really have issues or just want a newer car? I ask because you seem to really want a new one.

You're 23 years old. Go find yourself before acting like a 53 year old.

8. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

mini-vacay!!!

#yolololol

9. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Might be quarter life crisis, or just the stirring in your soul.

Either way, do you wonder sometimes about the outcome of a still verdictless life?
    Are you living it right?

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Train for a marathon or climb a mountain. Seriously. You'll get far more satisfaction from that than buying a car.

11. david12sfa

david12sfa Member

Man, just go to the Men's Club for lunch and look at some boobs for a while. That should get you out of your funk and is a hell of a lot cheaper than a new car.

12. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Ride a bike.

13. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

this is great advice. step out of your comfort zone. it's scary as **** but you'll feel like you have an actual life.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

slump buster?

15. SK34

SK34 Member

Sky dive. Deep sea dive. Go jet skiing. Just do things you usually don't do or are scared to.

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I was thinking what macalu posted.
    :confused: daFU--???

[​IMG]

DUDE. He's 23. :eek:

17. Illegal Machine

Don't get a solstice/sky/TT or 350Z. 350's got pretty quick in the last couple of years, but the vast majority of those cars are DOGS. Like 14+ second cars. Audi TT's only got good in this last generation (09+?), so those are probably out of your price range.

Not sure what your price range is, but judging by some of the cars on your list, you'd be better off getting a C5 Z06. Interiors are DATED, but they still ROLL OUT. Can be had for low 20's.

All of these cars you listed will murk your insurance, brah.

1 person likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember you were asking about getting in shape here awhile back. I hope you are keeping up with that and you will find that the more in shape you are the better your outlook on life will be.

Also it's not unusual for people to feel a little loss in their early or mid 20's. Jack Kerouac in On the Road even wrote about it as "the beat evil days of the mid 20's." You are out of adolescence but still coming to terms with adulthood. Heck a lot of people feel that way into their 40's. Keep in mind that you still have a lot of life out ahead of you. Get out and experience it. Go and travel, play sports, take career risks, and etc.. You will still have time later to settled down and lead a boring life.

19. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/QdgCajndgNw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

20. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

The biggest myth of the postwar era is that your late teens and early twenties are "the best years of your life." It's actually your early 30's, because you still have your health and you're reaping the rewards of any choices and sacrifices you made after high school.

Take the money you would spend on a new car and go to night/grad school or get some professional certifications. Either that or start donating to and networking with local professional, arts or charitable groups, with the long term intent of getting in a leadership role. That will indirectly fill your calendar, black book and rolodex and set you on a higher and faster trajectory going into middle age.