1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Need Help Getting The Net

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by macho GRANDE, Jun 18, 2007.

1. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Here's the deal. I got Directtv and no landline phone service.
    Can someone please point me in the right direction in getting internet service?
    Accessing Clutchfans via Blackberry, while better than nothin, is getting old.
    Thanks fellas.

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

get a pccard/expresscard/usb modem (depending on desktop or laptop) through sprint or vzw. it ain't cheap though. check the sites for prices.

or...

... check to see if your blackberry can be tethered to your laptop as a modem. it's an extra fee to do that if it does (i'm sure there are ways of hacking that though).

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

if you are in their service area, you *can* get just cable internet, it costs 5 bucks more(iirc) if you dont have cable tv bundled with it, but at least your speed will be good, and you dont have to deal with the service charges involved with connecting via cell.

also....cell phone broadband aint *that* great....I use a cell modem(pc card) with my laptop when Im out of the office, and it is better than diaup.....barely.

btw edit:

my pc card is from Sprint, and its 70/month for unlimited data, dont remember the cost of the card since the company bought it. ;)

4. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Just get cable internet through Time Warner (or Comcast I guess now).

I have DirecTV for television, Roadrunner for internet. The best of both worlds!

5. macho GRANDE

Through what provider? Cost?

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I know that there might be people who disagree, but you can get the low-level DSL from SBC--yes, you have to buy the landline--for about $13 for Internet and about $18 for the phone line. I am sure they won't charge the installation.

I use DirectTV and A&T Yahoo! DSL and it's working perfectly :cool:

They have about 3 levels of the DSL speed you can get. I have the lowest one. You might want to ask SBC if you have to pay the fee for the landline, if all you want is the internet... you might be able to get a sweet deal for just INTERNET.

7. macho GRANDE

Sounds like a plan. Thanks.

8. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

No offense Swoly, but DSL is garbage. Spend the extra $10 and get a real connection. ;) :D

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

None taken, man. Why do you say it's garbage...? Is it because of the speed or the service or the equipment or the content? I just want to know why you hate it so much... :D

I realize some people do cable because "it's faster", but... at what expense? It's a lot more expensive... I have heard 3 people ask me how my DSL connection is because they're tired of paying so much for cable.

Like I said, you can do the "higher end" DSL or try the "lower end" one.

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Go to amazon.com. They have it.

It looks like this.

[​IMG]

11. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

i'm not sure you can do this.... yet.

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2007-06-19-att-dsl_N.htm

12. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I had DSL for a while and there were several things I didn't like.

- The performance is the main reason. DSL at times was just way too slow for me and very inconsistent. Cable on the other hand has always been blazing fast and I've had maybe 2 service interruptions in the 3 years I've had it.

- The fact that you have to get locked into a contract (I'm not sure if this is still the case). I had to keep DSL for 4 months longer than I wanted to simply because they had locked me into a contract. You can cancel Roadrunner at any time.

I don't really see the price difference being a factor. I pay 43.35 month for cable, so I don't really think that is too expensive. And I get to expense it through work, so it doesn't matter anyways. :D