1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Need a suit for interviews QUICK!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeremiah, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Jeremiah

Jeremiah Contributing Member

Short story- Since my house in Galveston is pretty much destroyed and my wife and son are shell-shocked by the whole hurricane thing, I've decided to move to Ft. Worth. I put out my resume online and in person over the past two days and am starting to get calls.

I don't have a proper suit and haven't worn one for about nine years- where can I get one quick? I don't have time for tailoring and I don't want to spend more than $500 unless someone here gives me a good reason; my finances are up in the air right now. I need something that looks sharp but won't bust my budget. Again, I'm in Ft. Worth so I need a chain or somewhere local that someone is familiar with.

Thanks in advance!

2. Fatty FatBastard

3. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

What industry are you in?

If you're just looking for an interview suit, Men's Warehouse or K & G would be fine. You can get a nice suit from there for less than 200 bucks, probably a lot less. They'll do alterations, but it may be faster (and often better) to get it altered off-site.

If you're looking for something to wear regularly, you can't lose with Jos A Banks. However, if you're just buying a suit for interviews and special occasions, it would probably be overkill.

4. Jeremiah

Thanks, FFB- that's exactly my kind of store. I don't know anything about the styles. What's good?

bejezuz- I'm in IT. I'm interviewing for Network Admin/Engineer and Senior System Admin jobs. I'm guessing that my everyday attire will be business casual at most (khakis and polo). I wouldn't mind looking sharper than the competition for interviews.

5. flipmode

flipmode Member

i heard Jos. A Bank is having a 3-for-1 deal, ends today.

even if you have to get some tailoring done, this is amazing. reviewers say that Jos. A Bank suits are some of the best you can get without going bespoke.

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

K&G.

$250 will get you a sexy designer suit, and if you don't want to pay that much, $150 will get you a mean quality suit that doesn't look cheap.

7. bejezuz

bejezuz Contributing Member

If you're in IT, nobody is going to notice the quality of your suit. Just gets something conservative, black or navy. Just make sure you don't scrimp on the alterations. A well-tailored cheap suit looks 100 times better than a poorly-tailored expensive suit.

8. nomorewords

nomorewords Member

Surprisingly, the Merona suits at Target are one of your best bets for under $500. They usually run ~$100. I'd go for a Navy/Charcoal suit.

They've gotten good review from the guys at StyleForum who know a thing or two about suits.

http://www.styleforum.net/showthread.php?t=58860

9. surrender

surrender Member

How big are you? If you're a slim guy, then go for one of the aforementioned Merona suits from Target, a suit from Zara, or a suit from Banana Republic or J. Crew on sale. If you're a bigger guy, go for a suit from Jos. A. Bank or a Brooks Brothers outlet

10. surrender

surrender Member

Also, make sure it's 100% wool. Cotton suits are nice, but not really interview attire, and anything with polyester is going to be crap

11. flipmode

flipmode Member

you're in IT? i suggest this:
    [​IMG]

12. Jeremiah

I went by Jos. A Banks since it's close and they have some nice suits, but nothing i liked was under $500. I may be able to work it if a couple of friends here want the two free ones and we split the deal, but that's doubtful.

I also went by Target and checked out the Meronas. I actually liked them but to buy the jacket and pants it costs around $150, so I figure I might as well spend a little more for better quality.

Thanks for the tips on the wool and tailoring- I'll keep that in mind.

I'm certainly not slim- I have a 36-inch waist and wear a 46L jacket. I think I could pull off the Merona style suits but I have a pretty big head too, so I may look funny if I'm wearing something too form fitting. ;)

I think that's going to break the bank, but keep talking. :D

I'm going to hit SYMS next and then K&G if I don't like what I see at SYMS. They're on opposite sides of Fort Worth, but it's laughable how small this place is after growing up in metropolis Houston.

Keep the tips coming- I'm keeping my laptop w/ wifi card in the car. Thanks again!

13. underoverup

underoverup Member

don't mean to derail your thread, but can you tell us a bit more about what happened to your house and what everything was like down there?

14. Jeremiah

Sure, no problem. I'm about two blocks from UTMB, and about 1/4 mile from the beach at the shortest distance. I haven't been back yet, but I've had friends go by and take pictures. The water mark on my house was around 5-6 feet, which means I got 3-4 feet inside. The structure looks solid, so that's a positive. I think i may have a tree on the separated garage in the back, but the pictures are a little ambiguous.

As far as interior damage, I had hardwood floors, which I know are ruined, the drywall has to go 2-3 feet above the waterline, and when you couple that with mold that's had two weeks to grow and toxic poop water, I'm not going to bring my family back in.

A lot has to do with what the insurance company/FEMA pays me. If they pay me enough to pay off the note, I may sell it cheap to someone who has the time and inclination to restore it. If it's just enough to repair, I'll get in there and do a quick and cheap repair and turn it into a rent house. I figure housing that close to UTMB will be in high demand.

I was going to post more once I had the full story, complete with pictures. I'm not very upset about it. I have my family, pictures, data...everything important except a few things, and I have a place to live in Ft. Worth for now. So things could be worse. I'd say the worst part about the whole experience is the not knowing and spinning my wheels doing nothing. I hate that.

15. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

16. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

:( That's what she said!

Dude, you don't ask those things around here... :cool:

17. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Sounds like you have it covered...DFWRocket lives in Ft Worth & I live in Dallas...We can give you advice on great places to eat, visit, etc...Once the season starts and you're settled, we can all get together for a Rockets Viewing Party...

18. Boomhauer

Boomhauer Contributing Member

Ask Pac Man he knows what to wear......

[​IMG]

19. JessMe

JessMe Member

K&G or Burlington's?

20. Jeremiah

SYMS was a slam dunk. I can't believe what good prices they have there. I walked out of there with a Ralph Lauren suit, dress shoes, shirt, tie, etc, for around $370. More than that, my salesguy was a retired Norstrom's suit salesman and knew his stuff. Awesome advice, Fatty. Thanks- if you're ever in the area, I'll buy you beers. In fact, you guys were all a big help. I'll buy you all beers. ;)

Freaking awesome- thanks so much. :)