1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NBCSports] Cavs offer for Paul Pierce

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by AndySwanny, Jun 23, 2013.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but the Cavs have offered 2 second round picks for Paul Pierce. Here's the story:

http://www.news-herald.com/articles/2013/06/22/sports/nh7153027.txt?viewmode=fullstory

2. Commodore

Commodore Member

in a vacuum it makes sense, but you can't give away a franchise legend for a couple 2nd round picks

3. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Cavs should stay patient and draft Noel. He's injured so they have the best excuse at sucking again and have a shot at Wiggins or other studs in 2014.

Kyrie
    Waiters
    Wiggins
    Thompson
    Noel

Set for the future.

4. Jontro

Jontro Member

2 second round picks? The Celts have no other choice but to accept. I don't see how any club would reject such an offer.

5. CCorn

CCorn Member

Place holder for lebron.

6. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

How is that "stealing" by Cleveland? Seems like a very reasonable proposal for a guy likely to be waived otherwise (Boston won't make that deal if they want to keep Pierce). Hell, those picks (#31 and #33) are like a couple of first rounders! Given how this draft breaks down into tiers, those picks are like a couple of mid- to late first rounders, except with better contracts!

Edit: Boston would also generate a $15.3 million trade exception with this deal.

The trade would have to wait until July 10, but it would be agreed to in principle on draft night.

#6 BimaThug, Jun 23, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
  7. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Exactly what I'm thinking. If they're actually planning on buying out Pierce, then this seems like an absolute steal because it saves money, wipes the cap hit off the books completely and the second round picks are a huge bonus.

8. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

I can't fathom Pierce in another jersey. He's the ultimate Celtic.

9. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Hahaha! I was thinking they offered the 1st pick for him! Two 2nd rounders!? Come on Dan!!

10. T-macsterful1

T-macsterful1 Member

this, he's the embodiment of everything that team has stood for in the last 15 years.
    If they're willing to trade him for two second round picks that will leave them just as empty handed why not just keep him for the year and let him finish his contract in Boston so he can retire in the green. All this trade is going to do is screw the cavs over because I see him retiring if they trade him.

11. Normalus

Normalus Member

wow if C's accept it. Cleveland could instant be eastern conference top5 team!

Varejao+Len (possibly)
    Thompson
    Pierce
    Waiters
    Irving

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Me neither, but he's probably a goner whether by trade or amnesty.

It will be weird.

13. t_mac1

t_mac1 Member

No loyalty in sports.

14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I seriously doubt the Celtics amnesty Pierce. They will either keep him, trade him or waive him "the ordinary way".

Remember, the amnesty waiver period is not until mid-July. Pierce's contract is only partially guaranteed for $5 million until June 30 and will become fully guaranteed on July 1.

If the Celtics wait until the amnesty waiver period to waive Pierce, they will have a $0 cap hit but will actually have to PAY Pierce his full $15.3 million salary (minus any partial waiver bids on Pierce). I'm pretty sure they'd rather just take a one-year, $5 million cap hit and pay that than to risk having to pay over $10 million more (minus offset) via amnesty. Sure, teams will put in bids for Pierce, but there's no guarantee that he'll draw anything close to a $10.3 million bid.

That's why a trade is the best alterative (unless they want to keep Pierce). They get a couple of pretty good picks, a huge trade exception, and they won't have to pay any of Pierce's salary next year.

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Never going to happen, because Pierce will not play there...

16. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

It would be hilarious if the deal gets done and The Truth is like i aint playing in no Cleveland. Retires, and Cleveland gets nothing.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Member

At $15M, I doubt The Truth will give up The Dough.

18. Han Solo

Han Solo Member

bc money is the truth!

Couldn't he retire and come back to get a longer 3 year deal to make that money again?

19. basketballholic

That's the TPE and picks Boston needs to go after JSmith.

20. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

[​IMG]