1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA to experiment with challenge flag

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Jun 3, 2018.

?

Do you like the idea of a challenge flag?

1. Yes

73 vote(s)
    83.0%
  2. No

15 vote(s)
    17.0%
  1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Details have not been released on what plays will be challengeable and how many potential reviews each team will receive, but it certainly seems like Adam Silver and the league office is working to improve the officiating throughout the NBA.

Termine also reported that Dallas Mavericks head coach Rick Carlisle, who also serves as the president of the NBA Coaches Association, said "all are in favor of a challenge flag."

https://www.si.com/nba/2018/06/03/nba-summer-league-challenge-flag-experiment

Many things are allowed to be reviewed in the final two minutes of the fourth quarter and overtime, including out-of-bounds plays and potential goaltending. The ability to review block/charge calls was also added in 2012-13 and gained notoriety in Game 1 of the NBA Finals with LeBron James eventually called for a block in the final minute of regulation.

However, all replays are called for by officials instead of coaches.

In the NFL, coaches are allowed to challenge a call by throwing a red flag onto the field. While a smaller arena in the NBA could allow coaches to simply ask a referee to challenge a call, the flag could create a quick reaction and immediate game stoppage.

There would likely still be limits for what can be reviewed, but this experiment could provide coaches the first opportunity to gain more control over questionable calls.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...with-challenge-flag-during-2018-summer-league

[​IMG]

2. i3artow i3aller

Challenge flags would be a fantastic addition to the game. More plays should also be reviewable as well.

3. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Brilliant. I don't see how you could be against the flag.

*Unless you're a Warriors fan

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

who the **** reviews the challenge flags? the replay center crooks with the greasy slick back hair would just agree with the Fosters and Brothers.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Good, i guess...can't wait to see Foster look at an obvious foul on Harden and still say it's not a foul, lol

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

why does Foster still have a job? Tim Donaghy called you 200 times during a playoff series.

7. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Right. Just make sure you only allow when play is dead.

banzai likes this.
  8. WestendMassive

Challenge flags wouldn't help if the zebras go game 6 and 7 again, you can't challenge a call if they don't make them

9. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Depending on what would be challengable, the Rockets would've won Game 7.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  10. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

I don’t understand how it will work in the NBA, since there is not nearly as much play stoppage as the NFL. Can D’Antoni throw a challenge flag to stop a Warriors fast break after a non-called foul on a Harden shot?

11. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Meh. My initial reaction is no thanks. I like the out of bounds reviews in the final 2min, but that seems about enough. I don’t like the semi-circle reviews (or the semi-circle itself, for that matter). Bad calls balance out, and the better team wins in the playoffs.

I just don’t want the NBA to be like the NFL, where a large portion of the game is about obsessing over technicalities. This year’s new (actually, retro) commercial structure was a nice improvement in keeping the game moving—let’s continue in that direction.

da_juice likes this.
  12. Jontro

Jontro Member

the league will find a way to rig that too.

13. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I just don't know. I'm glad their giving this a try, but I think the truth of the matter is we just need to eliminate the superstar call. We need to be a little more strict and defined on what is technical worthy, and the continuation rule needs a massive rework. Also, illegal screens. Like all these things take higher priority than a silly flag.

Slim likes this.
  14. Lawlruschang

Lawlruschang Member

What makes you assume the bad calls balance out? You have the data to support that? Or you assume cosmic forces ensure a perfectly objective 50/50 balance?

Blurr#7 likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

the game already gets reviewed and has stoppage on a ton of unnecessary plays these days. not sure if this idea is any better.

Get better NBA refs immediately comes to mind first

Invisible Fan likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

"Upon further review, the player [Harden] took 3 step after he gathered the ball, therefore the ruling on the court is traveling." -- Scott Foster or Tony Brothers

Jake Tower and Asian Sensation like this.
  18. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

They already review a ton of plays in the last two minutes, so not sure how necessary this is. I'd be fine with it if they stopped reviewing stuff and allowed the challenge flag.

19. macan

macan Member

MDA should aim at scott foster's head and throw that flag

Mazulis and slothy420 like this.
  20. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Rockets players should have sacrificed a couple of turnovers by throwing the ball at Foster's face...

juanm34 likes this.