1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA Refutes Tim Donaghy's Claim That Referees Bet on Blazers Rockets Game 1

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mr. Dominant, Apr 26, 2014.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

i agree the nba has become a farce. i watch for the players themselves and for love of the game. but at no time am i unaware of the bastardization they are putting it through nite in and nite out. that there is something very wrong with the officiating is doubtless. i've played too many tens of thousands of hours of bball on my own to not know what's correct and what's not. but there's really no way to know the answer to the question why. my strongest guess would be that it's all vegas-related.

2. Victorious

Victorious Member

I believe him!!!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/4UJhQNt0a7Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/VcZUP74t2pE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

3. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

the reason is always the same reason you know and everyone knows. money.

As you mentioned there is vegas, there is extending games for longer series aka more money, there is propping 'stars' for more exposure (money) through not calling it correct, there is major markets (tv sets) getting better results (see lakers vs. kings 2002)

They will sustain the money train as long as they can. This is not going to change until one of these refs gets outed, vegas guy caught, maybe an investigation that catches it.

Just like steroids era in baseball this will go on and on until it becomes unbearable and blatant which it was 15 years ago.

WRESTLING

4. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

dont know if i believe the guy, but the NBA acting like their roses dont smell like poo poo- oooo--ooo...sure you are squeaky clean NBA...suuuuure.

5. nightwatch

nightwatch Rookie

Do you think the coaching staff might have placed some bets against their own team as well? Because its not just the reffing but Mchale's coaching in games one and two has also been extremely questionable. (I don't know about game 3 since I stopped watching after game 2 I got sick of watching the refs control the outcome of the game and its so blatant).

6. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

On every play Harden & Howard are being held off the ball...Harden is almost being wrestled out there by Mathews & Batum. Just watch the tape.

7. SeeingRocketRed

I was at Game 1. The calls were beyond simply making mistakes - everyone around me in my section were discussing how the fix was in. I've followed the NBA and Rockets for years, and it had shades of that Sacramento vs Lakers Game 6 in 2002. I don't doubt Donaghy for a second on this.

8. SeabrookMiglla

Of course its rigged, i still love the game and players though. But yes, the NBA is rigged.

9. perfectweapons

It has been rigged forever. Game 1 was as rigged as it gets. At the very least they call fouls to keep the game close for TV ratings. If you watched the Kings Vs Lakers after MJ left the game you know its rigged. There is no doubt that the NBA kept Adleman and his Kings from 2 NBA titles. Plus our own 2005 Rockets were screwed out of knocking off the Mavs after going up 2-0 in the middle of a title run. That's the games Donaghy admitted to fixing lol. Im still pissed.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

well, certain refs should be suspended

11. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I believe him but this guy needs to be careful. Could be a dead man walking of an "overdose" or "car wreck".

12. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

lol. nice things as in shiny trophy:confused:[​IMG]

13. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

i bet that wont happen

14. Kwame

Kwame Member

And back then there were only two refs per game instead of three as it is now.

15. scottie brooks

If these are the worlds finest ,well then we need to start using robots and computers.

16. mingthething

mingthething Member

Legend has it that LBJ, in one of his early congressional campaigns, told one of his aides to spread the story that Johnson's opponent ****ed pigs. The aide responded "Christ, Lyndon, we can't call the guy a pig****er. It isn't true." To which LBJ supposedly replied "Of course it ain't true, but I want to make the son-of-a-b**** deny it."

17. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

nba needs to hurry up and do something about the officiating. inconsistent calls are killers

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Im taking the over

19. coffeelover665

You guys forget that this is a business first. If the NBA aren't making money, there would be no NBA. And let's not underestimate the length a person's greed will make them go. Its the reason why the great depression happened. It's the reason why we're in this economic regression.

20. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

I've said it before and I'll say it again. The real important piece of Donaghy's allegations back in the day was that the refs did not need to "fix" the game in the traditional sense (i.e., calling incorrect fouls) at all. He could accurately gauge an outcome just by giving insider information on which officials would be covering which game.

Put another way, the player/ref relationship was sufficient enough to swing games. And those refs are all still working.