1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA All-Star game highest ratings since 2003

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Octavianus, Feb 22, 2011.

1. Octavianus

Octavianus Member

Who says NBA is losing viewers? Stars will always bring in the ratings..

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20110221/tv_nm/us_nbaratings

LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) – Kobe Bryant's on-court drama for the West team brought TNT its highest rated NBA All-Star Game since 2003.

The Sunday night game delivered 9.1 million total viewers and six million households. It was second most-watched NBA game on television during the 2010-11 season to date.

Bryant won MVP for the West team which pulled out a dramatic victory over the LeBron James-led East team. Rihanna performed at the half-time show before taking a courtside seat next to Justin Bieber, who was named MVP in the Celebrity All-Star game on Friday night.

The 2003 All-Star Game was the final appearance by NBA superstar Michael Jordan.

2. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

what on court drama?

3. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I usually don't watch any of the All-Star game itself. My interest is solely on Saturday. I watched a little bit of the 2nd quarter and started again after halftime. Because the East came out playing hard, I stayed with it. When LeBron raised his game up and went all-out, it was actually worth watching. I can't remember the last time the players acted as if they cared about the outcome. There were even a couple of semi-hard fouls. From that point on, I wasn't switching the channel.

4. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

I think the Rookie-Sophomore Game is what hyped up the weekend. That was the best rookie-sophomore I've seen in years. Highlight reel.

5. JimRaynor55

JimRaynor55 Member

The game was held in a big market, there were exciting new stars like Blake Griffin (a hometown boy no less), and we didn't have 3 or 4 lame "All-Star" replacements like last year. Chris Kaman, God.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Yes. Because national TV is where NBA teams get all their money. Not ticket sales or LOCAL tv deals

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Well, Lebron probably got annoyed by Kobe going all out for the all-star mvp as he usually does.

8. eMat

eMat Contributing Member

I'm somewhat surprised by this seeing how the last few All-Star games were just terrible. This one however, especially the second half... well...

This.

9. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

the first half was really boring

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

That's funny, because this year was the first time in a long time where I didn't watch any of the All-star events. Just zero interest this time around.

11. Burko

Burko Member

Was the standard All-Star game.

Quarter 1 - Kobe takes all the shots, few dunks, no sprinting allowed

Quarter 2 Kobe takes all the shots, few dunks, silly passes leading to turnovers.

Quarter 3 - Kobe takes all the shots, someone else realises he's going for MVP and tries to catch up

Quarter 4 - Kobe takes all the shots, scoreboard finally becomes relevant, sprinting allowed for final 5 minutes. (no jumping for rebounds allowed however)

Kobe wins MVP and displays smug smile.