1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA 2k9 Living Rosters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by blathersby, Sep 22, 2008.

1. blathersby

blathersby Member

Didn't see this posted when I searched. This makes it official: Live has NOTHING on 2k.

I'm drooling.

2. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

That is pretty sexy.

3. ClutchCityReturns

4. LouisianaRocket

when everyone is playing live and you nerds are playing 2k9... you'll be left out in the cold.. 2k9 will have nothing on NBA Live. Just watch.

And I heard that 2k9's Online Team Play kicks people out of rooms. :cool:

5. blathersby

blathersby Member

6. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Live is for arcade toolboxes with no weiners.

I said it, no weiners.

7. dskillz

dskillz Member

Umm...Live has the exact same thing. They call it DNA. Not trying to start a Live vs 2k crap thread because arguing over the net is not to bright.

Just pointing out that the same feature is in both games this year, except for the unlockable animations which I think is more about if a certain player gets a raised dunk level, he gets more dunks.

8. alexdapooh

alexdapooh Member

So, does that mean if a player gets injured, we won't be allowed to play with him?

9. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

Its not the exact same thing. Not only will 2K has continual roster updates like live, but it also has the ability to add new animations. For example, if Yao develops some new moves or if T-Mac adds a new crossover to his arsenal during the season, it will be added in the game. We're talking about the possibility of fresh new animations throughout the whole season. Its also going to be based on what the fans want, or so they say.

10. rawool

rawool Member

Agreed.

That's why he said Live has nothing on 2K, since they both have the same feature.

11. ClutchCityReturns

Maybe you should read the details. Live's DNA is not on par.

12. rawool

rawool Member

He'll be benched, but you can still play with him. You're not forced to play with their updated line-ups.

13. blathersby

blathersby Member

That's exactly what I was meaning. I was considering grabbing (or at least renting) Live as well because of DNA. Now? Nope.

14. dskillz

dskillz Member

I read the details. I guess some new animations desn't really impress me. Like I said, I am not trying to start a war here. Just noting that outside of new animations, Live has the same thing.

15. Greg8231984

Greg8231984 Member

I love these "I read..." posts with no source

16. durvasa

durvasa Member

Actually, to me it seems that what Live is offering is more innovative. 2K's "live update" is a step in the right direction, but I don't know how effectively it would capture the way a player's game evolves over the course of a season. It depends on how well all the "sliders" for a given player captures his real life counterpart, and how well this 2K Insider is at tweaking the settings.

Live is going to provide daily updates of player tendencies throughout the season, based on the Synergy service. The in-game tendencies are tied to something more concrete, and so you know they should evolve in a way that mirrors what happens in real life.

As for the game play, I'm sure 2K will again be hailed as superior. But strictly comparing these two features, I'm more excited about the possibilities of Live's approach.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

2K goes as far is adding new motion capture animations to the game during the season.

2K's stat source will interact heavily in the community so that users have an input on what happens.

Just sayin

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

We'll see how often the additional motion capture updates end up. I doubt we'll see more than a few of those per team over the course of the entire season. It just wouldn't make sense for that to be something they update regularly.

Beyond that, they'll do roster updates fairly regularly. Sounds good. But will player ratings shift that much? I kind of doubt it. And the community isn't going to be unified on their views of player ratings; not by a long shot. Ultimately, we're going to disagree with whatever the consensus might end up being, because it's subjective. And we'll make our own changes anyways.

With Live, the tendencies are connected to something real. Not just subjective ratings for various categories. They are actual, quantifiable tendencies that will reflect what's happening in the season. Plus, the ratings will be updates daily. To me, that's far more intriguing..

How the end product ends up, I don't know. Right now, if I was to buy one of the games I'd probably go with 2K9, since I trust it's overall game play more.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

True but Live has done a horrible job of translating stats/ratings into something that displays accurately in the gameplay. Meaning 2Ks representation will likely still be more realistic by having a better gameplay engine.

20. ClutchCityReturns

I was also referring to the updates. They take the opinion of the gamers into account for each update, which is something Live won't do.