1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My dog got attacked.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by London'sBurning, Jun 20, 2010.

1. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

My wife and I decided we wanted to get a second dog at Town Lake Animal Shelter along with our 8 month old Bichon Frise, Ollie.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(Ollie with my niece's Miniature Schnauzer.)

We ended up adopting a very sweet, 5 month old, 50 lb. Anatolian Shepherd mix (no pics yet). We saw the dog yesterday, and wanted to set up a meet and greet today so both puppies could meet before we committed to the Shepherd. Both got along well enough and we finished up the paperwork. When we walked out of TLAS, a Rottweiller jumped out of a rolled down window of this woman's car and attacked my puppy, Ollie, on the neck.

I jumped on the Rottweiler and tackled it. At least 4 other volunteers, my wife, and thankfully one other guy whose job is to pick up stray dogs helped get it off of Ollie. I don't know how many times we had kicked and punched the dog to get it to loosen its grip on Ollie, but thankfully my puppy is alive.

My wife punched the dog in the face and has a puncture wound on one of her knuckles. I got scratches all over me, and my puppy is getting surgery done sometime today or tonight at a 24 hour vet clinic. The bill is going to range anywhere from almost $900 to $1,100 dollars.

We got information on this woman and will be filing a report tomorrow at TLAS. The owner of the Rottweiler was driving the dog to TLAS to return the dog after only having kept it for one day because it was aggressive towards other dogs. I don't know why she thought it would be a good idea to roll the window of car all the way down knowing that dog is so wild.

Is there any way we can get this woman to foot the bill on our dog? My wife had to go to a walk in clinic to get her hand checked out, but the cost on that is minimal compared to the vet bill. We went to TLAS thinking we were just going to get another addition to our family and save a dog's life in the process. We didn't expect all this to happen.

2. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that. My sister has a bichon, sweet dogs.

I don't know what I'd do if mine was ever attcked bad like that.

I was walking my beagle and her 2 beagle/american pitt puppies (I know strange mix....but damn cute)

And a full size pit ran from their owner who was letting it out to piss with out a leash. It charhed to attack my beagle, but luckily her puppies were there to defend her, the male pup fought it off and I actually had to get him to release the other dog. (Mine were all on the leash).

That's the one time I've had an altercation involving my dogs. They love other dogs, play in the dog parks with no problem.

Idiots should just keep their dogs on the leashes.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Dude sorry to hear about that but think how awesome it will be for you to explain to people that your wife bruised her knuckles punching a Rottweiler in the face.

4. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Idiots shouldn't own dogs period, sadly that's not the case. They look like my grandmothers old dog, "Bear". Sorry to hear that your dog got attacked, my advice, attack the owner.

5. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

b**** set me up.

[​IMG]

6. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Sorry to hear about this. That Rottweiler should have been euthanized or moved to an experienced rescue as opposed to be adopted out to an obviously ignorant owner. I hope your dog is ok. I can't comment on the legal issues involved but make sure you wife keeps a close eye on that hand, infections are common with any type of bite.

My husky mix has been attacked on walks several times. I got her a "big brother" to solve that problem. I can't own little or fragile dogs any more due to my paranoia of them being injured by someone else's dogs.

7. Mae

Mae Member

I would think that the woman is liable for her pets actions, even though it was temporary at best.

I'd be making her pay, for more than just the vet bill.

8. London'sBurning

My wife was given a prescription for some antibiotics at the walk in clinic and we're going to keep a close eye on her hand. My puppy is going under right now for surgery and some tubes will be inserted inside him to clear up any accumulating abscess where the puncture wounds are and to help his torn muscles heal properly. I think he has 5 total, and will have to start wearing socks around his paws so he doesn't scratch at them after the surgery. It's going to be a rough couple of weeks for him.

9. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

was this in houston?

my dog was attacked by a rott not too long ago ( on mothers day). Our apartment complex made the owner get rid of it (or move out, but they decided to just get rid of it) and I'm wondering if he just gave it to some shelter to let it get adopted out again.

the owner of the dog that attacked mine is supposed to pay for the vet bills, but hasn't yet. He said he's paying wednesday, but we'll see.

10. London'sBurning

Tomorrow we're going back to TLAS to request her information since someone from security was there to witness the entire attack and sit down with the owner and write a report on her. From what I understand, she is liable to pay for my wife and dog's medical bills so at least we're not totally screwed.

The woman was maybe just above 5 feet tall and out of shape. I just don't understand the logic she had in driving alone, with all the windows down, knowing that the dog is that strong and aggressive. She could have called Animal Control to pick the dog up if she couldn't have had someone sit in the backseat holding the dog's leash. She could have simply sucked it up and left the windows rolled up and put up with the heat.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

And the woman should sue the shelter.

12. London'sBurning

It was in Austin. The owner struck me as the type of owner that thought she was going to get a big and aggressive dog to protect her but forgot you actually need to train it.

13. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

Towne Lake = Austin.

14. jlaw718

jlaw718 Contributing Member

That made me laugh. That does make for a pretty bad ass, nonchalant, drop-in during a conversation. "Oh, this? Eh, it's nothing. I had to punch a Rottweiler in the face..."

15. VanityHalfBlack

Nothing gets me more angrier like the hulk then a bunch of irresponsible dog owner letting it run loose and attacking other dogs... I too was bitten by a dog nearly tore my damn hand off...

16. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

What an awful thing to have happen to your dog. I feel bad, and bummed that the lady left the window down. I think if it's dog on dog violence there is very little that can be done legally. I don't know, but it's what I've heard. Still investigate.

Once when walking my dog, two pitbulls who were off leash, and with no owner to be seen anywhere came and attacked my dog. Luckily they just nicked her backside, and I yanked my dachshund/retriever mix behind me. I was scared, but I stood there in between the dogs the way I saw Cesar Milan do on the dog whisperer once, and the leader of the two pits barked and looked fierce. I was terrified but didn't show it in my stance, and after what seemed like a 10 minute standoff(probably more like 1 minute) the Pit just turned and walked off, keeping its eye on me. I was shaking when it was all over.

17. Mae

Mae Member

If, and only if, she was lied to about the dogs temperament.

All but one of my pups are shelter saved, should I be able to sue my shelter if one of my dogs jumped from my vehicle and tried to eat someone else's dog? No, doesn't seem right. But then again, I'm a responsible dog owner and when I deal with animals that are aggressive I don't leave all the windows down or leave them unleashed.

If it was so hot in the car, leave the AC on with the car running or something along those lines. They are liable for their dog.

18. AXG

AXG Member

Aww, you have a really cute dog. I'm glad it's ok.

19. dylan

dylan Contributing Member

Do you actually know the other dog was a Rot? If the parentage of the other dog is not known then it is really difficult to say what breeds make up a mix, whether by appearance or temperament. I only ask because I think a lot of Rot's and Pit Bulls get blamed for crimes the breed didn't commit.

20. London'sBurning