1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including KD vs. Ant and the star-studded Clippers-Mavericks matchup

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

"My contract with the Astros is not eternal" Next week, Altuve is likely to look for a more

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Stormy1234, Nov 9, 2017.

1. rocketpower2

rocketpower2 Member

He’s just stating the obvious. Up to Crane and Luhnow to get it done, I’d say the main goal of the offseason is to lock him up.

2. Rodman23

Rodman23 .GIF

Well Obviously.. He's not going anywhere

DudeWah likes this.
  3. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Atluve and Correa can't go anywhere because they now have a painted mural at MMP.

boomboom, Houstunna and Rodman23 like this.
  4. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He has been hella underpaid. He definitely deserves to get a super max now.

DudeWah likes this.
  5. htownbball

htownbball Member

I'm expecting something around Robinson Cano's deal which was 10 years $240M. Cano was going into his age 31 season with his new deal. If the Astros exercise the option for 2019, Altuve will be going into his age 30 season with a new deal.

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

The question is does Crane wait and give him that raise at the end of his 4 year deal or do we re-work it now? Wouldn't that set a bad taste in Altuve's mouth if we waited? I never got why Altuve signed that shitty deal in the first place?

7. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Obviously this is obvious, but I don't even want to think about him ever putting on another jersey.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Ah, let the dance begin. Hopefully it's a short one, and it ends with Astros fans doing this:

[​IMG]

BigMaloe, DudeWah and the shark like this.
  9. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Altuve deserves whatever he is asking for because he never complains and have been a consummate pro. When you hear him say Judge should be MVP for 2017 that is all you need to know about Jose. I never hear him dislike anyone, or say anything bad except for umpires with bad eyes. #27 is the best Astros ever, bar-none.

seeingredtx and crose like this.
  10. Major

Major Member

It wasn't a shitty deal at the time. He had flameout potential and this secured a lifetime of wealth no matter what happened. If he was successful, he'd be a free agent early enough to still cash in at age 30.

kaleidosky and Joe Joe like this.
  11. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

He signed it, because he didn't know he would be this good. He signed it for guaranteed financial security. His hard work is about to take care of his kids kids.

12. tmacfor35

I am of personal belief that if you can lock down Altuve, that you will guarantee the resigning of Carlos Correa and Alex Bregman.

He is the guy everyone wants to play with. You need to offer him a really lucrative deal before any feeling of resentment appears. It is amazing he doesn't feel resentment now.

crose and dockerland like this.
  13. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I have thought somewhat similarly.

I previously thought there’s no way to keep Correa.

But I’ve begun to think that Carlos loves Jose so much, I’m not sure he’d leave a locked-down Altuve.

He might still would, especially because Altuve would never guilt him, but I do believe the only path to re-signing Correa is to lock up Altuve long-term.

This World Series title may have been all the more crucial for financial reasons.

Only with the infusion of World Series profit, accomplished while the team is still crucially affordable, might it be possible for Crane to afford these megadeals Altuve and Correa will warrant.

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

We need to get them all into the GS frame of mind. Make money while winning.

Altuve-Correa-Springer-Bregman need to be here through their prime years.

15. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

You would have to be an imbecile to let go of any one of those players. That's all I'm saying.

Nas likes this.
  16. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Altuve and Correa are must signs. I couldn't bear to ever see them in another uniform. Springer and Keuchel are the odd men out. You can't afford to sign everyone.

As much of a challenge as it was for Luhnow to put together a World Series team, keeping the core together will be just as big a challenge.

crose likes this.
  17. tmacfor35

I’d keep springer.

Team mindset.

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  18. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

We cant all dance that well man.....

19. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

The good thing is they can space out the big deals. Altuve gets a big deal next season. Then in 2019 Springer, 2020 Correa, 2021 Bregman. These guys will be together for at least 4-5 more years if not longer.