1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My brilliant idea - What do I do with it?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by WildSweet&Cool, Sep 18, 2007.

1. WildSweet&Cool

Okay here's the deal:

The idea:
    I have a theory on a new type of data compression methodology. In my theoretical model, it is possible to compress very large amounts of data into a very, very tiny size. For example, it could compress gigabytes or even terabytes of data into less than 1k.

The potential:
    Imagine backing up terabytes of information to a floppy disk (or even just a small string of text!).
    imagine if this was all three Godfather movies in HD -> 24|2342^348234|3455555234
    Imagine what it could mean to the data storage industry.
    It could literally revolutionize communications as we know it.

The catch:
    Though decompression of the data would occur quickly (and could be done on-the-fly), compression of the data may take a long time (depending on how much data needs to be compressed, and how powerful the computer is that's doing the compression). It is very improbable that compression could occur in realtime, so a live broadcast could not probably not be compressed on-the-fly (at least, not until faster processors exist).

What I would ultimately like to do with this idea:
    I would like to develop it into an actual product. I would then like to get rich licensing it to software companies to be included in their products, but also make a standalone app (like winzip) which would be free to individuals.

The problem:

1) I don't know what to do with my idea. Patent it? Copyright? Trademark? I don't have the money to hire patent attorneys to do that.

2) My theory is yet to be proven. I need to work with mathematicians and low-level software developers to prove it. I really don't trust anyone with my idea, and I don't have any money to hire such people. And, there is a possibility that my idea won't work.

3) With a family, I can't afford to take the risk of quitting my steady job and insurance to create my own company.

4) If the I can prove my theory works, I really don't know where to begin on creating a business around my idea.

5) I don't have money to do anything. And I'll admit that I'm afraid of approaching venture capital investors. I don't want them to gain control of my idea, I don't want them to steal my idea, and I'm just generally afraid that they'll rip me to pieces.

note: When I speak of my idea to most people, they think it is impossible. However, I have spoken to a few knowledgeable software developers about how it technically functions, and they have admitted that it is quite possible and would be an amazing technology if developed.

Oh, wise bbs folk! What do I do?

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

WS&C-

I have no answers to your questions.

I'm just curious how you solve this issue.

It could be a big deal in high performance compute cluster environments (seismic exploration, etc.)

3. Khal80

Khal80 Contributing Member

your best and prob only bet would be to go to a patent attorney. There is an initial fee, if the lawyer takes the case, in which he/she will research and find out if there is a similar or same patent. Now if there isnt, the fee's dramatically increase but then you have yourself an idea for sale

4. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

talk to do Dadakota.

5. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I think it is impossible.

:D

6. WildSweet&Cool

I won't tell you how it's technically done. I can tell you that I've explained it to some very competent software developers who were skeptical at first, and after explaining the theory to them, they are surprised to realize that it's quite feasible.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Not a bad idea.

Rice has an affiliated incubator organization. Surely you can trust a university to not screw you over. I don't know much about the organization. Perhaps Professor Napier would be a good person at Rice to start with?

8. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

I have an idea too that I would like to patent. It's actually quite simple, ok it is incredibly simple and easy to make, but my problem is that there may be something on the market already and I am not sure how to find out.

9. WildSweet&Cool

You wouldn't if I showed it to you. You'd be like "¡Ay dios mio!"

10. WildSweet&Cool

Patenting/copyrighting/trademarking is just one of the core struggles I'm looking at.

And I don't have any money do do any of the 5 obstacles I listed.

11. Pest_Ctrl

Pest_Ctrl Member

I guess the best thing to do is to talk to a patent attorney first. They will figure out what to do with your idea.

You will probably need to work with someone to prove your method, before you can do anything. For the patent maybe you can start filing something before a definite proof. If you can prove it, I guess there will be plenty of people that would be interested. Maybe you can work with someone else to draw some investment and start a company. You can keep your job and just be a technical founder and consultant of the company if you don't want to take the risk.

12. conquistador#11

I want to come up with the solar powered comal; it's time to move into the 21st century

old version of the comal
    [​IMG]

13. doboyz

doboyz Contributing Member

I used to work for the Patent and Trademark office, and if you simply want to know if its been made or such you can use a search firm. The main one here in DC that I know is Landon ip. http://www.landon-ip.com/

And to the OP I don't think you'll be able to patent such because it seems you have an idea of just compressing stuff with no actual means of doing so.

14. 3814

3814 Contributing Member

Simpsons did it!

15. WildSweet&Cool

No no.. I can clearly define the methodology for which the compression would occur.

16. doboyz

If you have the method and it seems like it could possible work, I'd suggest maybe talking to an attorney or search firm. You could also file yourself, but thats not really a good idea. If its really big breakthrough in the industry, IIRC you can publish it in a scientific journal or any publication to claim that you actually came up with the Idea first, but I think you only have a year to file before it becomes public domain and they can use it against you when you are filing a patent.

17. Mr Boo

Mr Boo Contributing Member

I'll say that you have piqued my curiosity just based on the discourse. Here's my 2 cent advice.

Like everyone else, I would say visit a patent attorney first I guess and see what it takes to patent your algorithm if it works and see what kinda of contract can be written such that if you do open your own company, any employees you hire under you will be bound by said contract.

Opening your own company is cake...the problem is I don't know the scope of what you need to do. For example, can you create a standalone application that can perform your compression and decompression with say, four to five part-time programmers (aka friends/acquaintances)? Instead of paying these part-time programmers, I think incentives may be offered based on your companies future profits (or even stock options that aren't worth anything at the moment). Thus, it wouldn't necessitate quitting your current job, since all the work would be done by everyone, on the side.

Tons of factors to consider and good luck. BTW, I'm a Computer Scientist/Engineer and although I'm skeptical of your claims, I am curious. Typically, the people I imagine that develop these algorithms are guys with long beards that are locked in the basements of some goverment building and are allowed to see the light of day once a month.

18. doboyz

I just found this link http://www.faqs.org/faqs/compression-faq/part1/section-7.html with a whole list of compression patents, you might want to search through these yourself to see if yours are anything like it, also note that it ends at 5 million something, patents are up to 7 million so this list doesn't look that up to date.

19. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

American Inventor

20. First Lady

First Lady Member

keep it away from Bill Gates or he'll take it and make a Billion from it.