1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Musicians of Clutchfans] What do you play?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by MystikArkitect, Apr 24, 2020.

1. MystikArkitect

Got back into guitar during this quarantine (managed to secure an amp and some guitar effects just before the quarantine happened) and have really gotten into the bones of it this time. I used to play with just tabs and GuitarPro but want to learn correctly this time around. Anyone here play music and if so what instrument? Do you gig? For fun? What kind of music?

Surfguy and Deckard like this.
  2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I play guitar and bass. I gig too but in the last few years more infrequently as work and other things started taking up more time. During this crisis I've been teaching myself drums and doing some sound mixing.

I know there are few Clutchfans who are professional musicians. Rocketman95 and Jeff are really good musicians and put on great shows.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

I used to play the violin. Now, I can't even read music anymore. It's funny as a child, you don't want to look dorky playing an instrument, and now as a adult you realise how foolish you were as a child and parents really did know best.

I will say I never had the type of mind to create music or listen to a song and play it by ear. I was a read notes, play notes type.

4. Buck Turgidson

harmonica

5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I play guitar as a hobby. I like to learn songs by ear and some tab. I mostly play Rush but I will attempt to learn any music I’m interested in. I would only ever play in a Rush tribute band as a hobby but don’t have any other band members. So, I just play along to the songs as a hobby and stress reliever. I go through stretches where I don’t play at all but have a vast catalog of learned songs in my head I like to exercise semi-regularly.

I enjoyed this rendition of "Purple Rain" so much that I had to learn it. I can't play it quite as crisp as this guy but I do pretty good. I learned it by watching him play it and by ear. Some faster parts toward the end I still don't have quite down albeit I know the notes and do my own improvisation. At the end of the day, I felt like learning the intricacies of this piece made me a better player. Any guitarist should appreciate this version imo.

#5 Surfguy, Apr 25, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 25, 2020
    Deckard and FrontRunner like this.
  6. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I play guitar, mostly Hendrix, RHCP (really like breaking the chords up into bass, rhythm, lead ). Lately I’ve been learning a lot of punk stuff. Glossed over blink 182/ Green Day since it’s easy stuff but it’s been fun playing it tbh

7. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

my main instruments are guitar and drums. i play both in bands here in austin. i also have a home studio where i like to do my own stuff.

ive been playing in bands for almost 30 years now going back to when i grew up in houston. for the last 10 years or so the bands i have been in have been a mixture of hobbyists like myself and pros (or former pros)...playing with them has made me a much better musician and bandmate. i quickly identified three traits that i saw with the professionals i played with...i call it the three P's.

1) punctual - they not only showed up on time, they got there early, set up and were warming up when others were still filtering in. the worst musicians in the band were also the ones who showed up late and constantly took smoke breaks.
    2) prepared - they had the material down before practice. we didnt have to spend time at practice showing them how the song goes.
    3) personable - nobody likes to play with a**holes or grumps. by and large, the pros ive worked with have all been really nice people to be around and have positive, encouraging attitudes.

i used to play in a country band with a guitar player who was so good that when i hit a bad note he could adjust what he was playing on the spot to make what i did sound "correct". ive also played with people who were able to fill in at a gig without ever coming to practice...the first time i played with or met them was at the gig and they somehow nailed it. i dont even know how someone could do that, but ive seen it firsthand!

i love playing with people like that becuase it forces you to step up your game.

8. MystikArkitect

How do you find people like that? I want to get into it a lot more seriously and don't even know where to look for gig mates lol.

9. Newlin

Newlin Member

Instruments I’ve played in my life.
    1. Bongos
    2. Symphonic chimes
    3. Clarinet
    4. Acoustic guitar
    5. Orchestral crash cymbals
    6. Piano
    7. Suspended cymbal

Squirtle and Surfguy like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

11. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

it took me 20 years to get to the point where i could play with them! most of my friends are musicians and i play in bands as well as go to shows. thats the best way to network. ive also hooked up with musicians from craigslist. made lifelong friends from putting out or answering an ad in the musicians section. also met some real shitheads there too though...haha.

Surfguy likes this.
  12. MystikArkitect

Haha yeah I joined some FB groups but man they're all over the place and I just don't like FB. As soon as the Quarantine ends ill be checking out more shows at places like Continental or White Oak. Still pretty new so I'm like waist deep in theory at the moment.

Used to just play tabs but basically restarted from scratch this time.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I thought I would share this coolstorybro.

My wife's cousin, Easton Aaron West, is a country/folk musician and singer. He's very talented, at least to my uneducated ear (runs in her dad's side of the family). Anyway, he called my wife today because he was driving back from where he was invited to play music for the Cash - Carter clan in Tennessee. He was pretty pumped.

upload_2021-11-24_13-1-4.jpeg

Here's his soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/eawmusic-1

I don't think there's a deal out of it but it was a good networking opportunity for him. I hope it works out.

Squirtle, jo mama and Surfguy like this.
  14. Surfguy

Lately, I've been pretty set in what I play on guitar for fun. I load YouTube on the HDTV and play through mostly the same set of Rush videos any time I want to let loose.

For example, I'll start with "Tom Sawyer" video, maybe drive the "Red Barchetta" video, then go to the "YYZ" video, and make trails for the "Limelight" video. Yes, that's the entire side A of the Rush "Moving Pictures" album.

Then, I'll head back earlier in time to the "Fly by Night" video to jam that tune. Then, I might make a jump to "Subdivisions" video from the "Signals" album. If I'm still feeling chipper, then I'll head over to the Rush R30 live concert intro medley...which plays for at least 12 minutes straight or so. Then, I will round it off with "The Spirit of Radio" video and maybe throw in some "Big Money".

If I'm still jamming at that point, then I'll hit the "Grace Under Pressure" album and play along to the "Distant Early Warning" and "Red Sector A" videos. And, go to even newer song videos from there.

I really am a walking Rush guitar playing enthusiast.

jo mama and Xerobull like this.
  15. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Awesome.......I am a fellow RUSH enthusiast......cant play a dam thing but my air drums are second to none!!!

Surfguy likes this.
  16. Surfguy

My air drums have always sucked. I've tried it out when seeing them in concert a few times (saw them probably around 12 times live) but it's pretty embarrassing. Who could keep up with Neil Peart? Not many.

The best use of Rush music is when doing landscaping and yard work. Just select Rush on the iPhone music app and select shuffle. It's the ultimate music for that kind of work. And, because the music is so intricate, I never really get bored hearing the same songs over and over.

Growing up, we used to have four Bose 150 watt loudspeakers positioned in each corner of a friend's bedroom. facing directly inward from each angle. Then, we would have some awesome receiver to drive those speakers with a turntable to play the albums. Then, we would crank that sucker and the details you could hear in such a setting were awesome. Of course, some midnight oil was burnt as well. ;) The neighbors loved us! You could hear it down the street. And, we had to open the window (upstairs) because of the...umm...smoke. lol

#16 Surfguy, Nov 24, 2021
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2021
  17. Squirtle

Squirtle Member

Acoustic guitar. I've played mostly just at my house since Dad died over 12 years ago. Took it up as a way to remember him by.

Xerobull, jo mama and Surfguy like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is tough, but good that you found your medium.

Surfguy and Squirtle like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I listen, I don't play. I envy those that can, however. Always have.

Squirtle likes this.
  20. CCorn

CCorn Member

I know my way around a skin flute

Squirtle likes this.