1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MUSIC]Worst Albums by Your Favorite Artists

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Manny Ramirez, Jan 12, 2006.

1. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It seems that there is always one album that was a complete stinker by artists or bands that consistently put out great albums. Here are some of the "worst" albums by my favorite artists:

"Death of a Ladies' Man" - Leonard Cohen (deeply flawed album thanks to Phil Spector)
    "Atom Heart Mother" - Pink Floyd (the band themselves practically have disowned this album although it is still a cult favorite among many fans - I am not one of them, though)
    "Wild Mood Swings" - The Cure (an album that is all over the place stylistically with very few things working right)
    "Manifesto" - Roxy Music (the comeback album, it has "Dance Away" but that is about it, very bland album)
    "Hot Space" - Queen (there are a couple of good songs, honest! You just have to dig a little bit to find them)
    "Pablo Honey" - Radiohead (nothing like the albums that came after it; generic grunge rock although "Anyone Can Play Guitar" is a great song)
    "Von" - Sigur Ros (their first album and it shows, very few tracks that are memorable, more of an atmospheric piece)
    "You're Under Arrest" - Miles Davis (I could have probably named any Miles album from 1981 onto his death, but this one is really bad)

Interesting omissions - I didn't pick anything by Led Zeppelin as I like all of their albums including the two that most people think are their worst in "Presence" and "In Through the Out Door". I also left out Dylan's "Self-Portrait" as I do not own it but plan to someday.

So, let's hear what you think are the worst albums by your favorite artists or bands.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

That one solo CD by Alicia Villarreal, when she sang with a mariachi without LĂ­mite... man, that totally SUCKED.

Also, that one by Pesado where they didn't have a hit one. I almost threw that back at the 102.9 van.

3. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

That's actually my favorite album by them. Of course, I think I'm opposite of about everybody else in that I think each of their album is a step down from the previous. The last two are the only exception to that.

4. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

Third Eye Blind - Blue (What the hell happened?)

Hootie & the Blowfish - Self titled (a 5 year hiatus, only to comeback with this? Luckily their back on track with the new album)

Collective Soul - Blender (overproduced)

Fuel - Natural Selection

5. Rivaldo2181

Rivaldo2181 Contributing Member

Snoop Dogg's sophmore effort "Da Doggfather"...ugh...what a horrible follow up to a rap classic "Doggystyle".

6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The latest album by U2.

The first 2 INXS albums before Shabooh Shoobah. "Under the Colors" and I can't remember the name of the other one.

Any B52's album after Whammy.

Luna's Pup Tent album (though it is still bette than 95% of other albums out there, it was just their worst.)

New Order's Republic album. (The song regret is a good one though.)

There are more, but for some reason it is kind of depressing to think of the bad albums that your favorite groups made.

7. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Metal Machine Music by Lou Reed

8. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

The latest Weezer album. Seems like they're digressing.
    The latest Beck album. I actually liked Guero, but I still think it's worse than his other one's.

9. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Gang of Four - anything after Entertainment!

10. UTweezer

UTweezer Contributing Member

hit the nail on the head.

11. droxford

droxford Member

Purest Feeling - Nine Inch Nails

(actually, this was a pre-release Reznor made in an attempt to bend his music to what the record company deemed as radio-friendly. The song "Purest Feeling" actually had synth horns. Yuk!)

12. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

The Presence - Led Zeppelin
    1984 - Van Halen (I don't even count the Van Hagar or Van Shirrone years)
    U2 - Zooropa

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Albums that revoked "I'll buy you without listening first" status:

DMB - Stand Up
    Jason Mraz's Sophmore effort (Wordplay)
    Weezer - Green Album (only two songs I could dig)
    Aerosmith - Done with Mirrors, Just Push Play
    Counting Crows - Recovering the Satellites (got way too melancholy for me)
    Guns & Roses - Spaghetti Incident (following Use Your Illusion makes it more painful)
    No Doubt - Return of Saturn (the start of Gwen turning No Doubt into her backup band)
    Led Zeppelin - just kidding
    REM - Adventures in Hi-Fi
    All crappy posthumous albums "by" Notorious BIG
    U2 - Zooropa

My apologies to any that get offended if I listed their fav album. It's just how I felt about them.

Evan

14. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Prince - Pretty much every album after the "symbol" album. I like Musicology, but not like I like the early stuff.

15. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

Live - V
    Franz Ferdinand - You Could Have It So Much Better (Such a disappointing album after such a stellar debut)
    Foo Fighters - One By One
    Rush - Vapor Trails
    Weezer - Maladroit

16. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

DMB

Stand up
    &
    Some devil

Jack Johnson - On and On

Our Lady Peace- Happiness Is Not a Fish That You Can Catch

Natalie Merchant- Ophelia

Wallflowers- Rebel, Sweetheart

3EB- Blue

17. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I would even go back to Lovesexy. He usually has a great song or two off each album still though.

18. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

sonic youth - nyc ghosts and flowers

fiery furnaces - rehearsing my choir - NEVER LET YOUR GRANDMA SING ON YOUR RECORDS - i really like everything this band has put out, but this album is absolute crap. there is nothing good about it.

kanye west - late registration. i loved college dropout, but never got into l.r.

janes addiction - strays. just a horrible record. further proof that eric avery was the heart of that band.

conversely, grandadddy is a band whom i only like one album (the software slump) and find the rest of their catalogue to be boring. that one album was just amazing though - an american counter to o.k. computer.

19. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

I have to disagree w/ Atom Heart Mother, that album is so tight, but I think that all of the Floyd albums are untouchable, so I am a little closed minded. If I could pick a weak one from them, it would have to be More, I wasn't too impressed with it, I thought AHM was better than that album.

20. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Bad Brains - Rise