1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Multi-year buyout rules

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hemingway, Mar 29, 2021.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don't think it will happen but if the Rockets were to buy-out John Wall how would it affect the salary cap next year and beyond?

2. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Im pretty sure the only thing a buy-out does for an organization is save the owner some money. Cap hit remains the same as it would be if he was still here.

YOLO and lakersuck2 like this.
  3. finsraider

finsraider Member

I would give him his entire salary for next season if he would decline that player option for the 2022-2023 season. I doubt he’d do it, but if he wants to be on a contender for the next few postseasons, he’s going to have to give up big $$$

4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

#4 ApacheWarrior, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  5. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Capwise it's exactly the same as if he was on the roster. The Pistons have 30+M in dead cap next season for Blake Griffin. Tilman is the only one who benefits. Buyouts are useless for the team. Remember all the drama last year with Memphis and Iggy cause they didn't want to buy him out? Obviously that was the smart thing to do cause they eventually got Winslow for him. As far as I know OKC hasn't bought anyone out either. It's just a completely stupid move basketballwise.

#5 lakersuck2, Mar 29, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2021
    BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  6. BHannes2BHonest

BHannes2BHonest 2 SOLID FOR WEIRD AZZES

We should keep wall honestly due to not much choice but we also can likely flip him ala CP3 for the Thunder... once it gets closer to it expiring ...

gonna be another year at least but we should not give up any assets to expedite that process. In fact we should be taking longer deals to acquire assets

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

“Worst contract I’ve ever seen in business or sports” expires after next year. (2021-22)

[​IMG]

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Thanks. That makes it pretty stupid to buy him out. No way he gives up 90 mil to go to a contender.

9. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

Do buyout cap hits count for the floor salary? They’re not buying him out this year or next. He almost certainly will be traded as an enormous expiring. If I had to guess, I’d pick the Knicks simply because they always seem to think they’re going to get a major FA every off season and seen to always work towards having max cap space available.

10. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm terrified that since we have some FRPs again, maybe Tilman the Genius Businessman will step in and demand Stone give up four of them to dump Wall's contract for something more manageable. Like Andrew Wiggins, who only has 2 years and $65M left. Give up our not-entirely-dim future to save a few bucks.

11. finsraider

finsraider Member

he wouldn’t give up $90 million. Certainly none of his salary for next year. It’s that 2022-2023 player option that would be up for discussion. He’d have to give up quite a bit of that in order for him to get a release immediately.

12. finsraider

finsraider Member

@BimaThug curious about the cap ramification of a buyout from Wall, specifically related to his player option in 2022-2023.

13. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

yeah I know of a OKc fan
    . I asked him about the Horford situation and he laughed. He said OKC doesn’t do buyouts. They’ll trade him if a team wants him but they not throwing no sweeteners on him . They’re more than content just letting him sit out and collect the check.

HTown_TMac and lakersuck2 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Makes sense to consider stomping down the Wall.

15. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Wall has value. I was skeptical of him and koi but against the trips I liked how it went. Wall needs to focus on being the pg. and setting up mothers. He’s a fourth option on this team behind Wood, kpj and even Gordon. Those guy are all better more efficient scorers than wall but they don’t don’t have his ability to break down a defense and create for others. That needs to be his role. He needs to fully emabrace being a true pure pg. not a combo or sg. We don’t need him as scorer . We need him as a facilitator

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

Anyone got Jeff Gillooly's phone number?

(Asking for a friend.)

17. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I could imagine a scenario in which he believes he's able to secure contracts for the next two years at 20-25 million per that would more or less offset the loss of that final year if we were willing to buy him out in full for this year and next. Still, that's what? A 70 million dollar buy out?

18. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I'd assume the press conference is about Danuel House Jr and his brother's entire family being lost in an instant. Not sure why ya'll think it's a John Wall buyout?

19. Xopher

Xopher Member

How do the cap hits work when a team and player agree to a buyout?

The equation for a player in the final year of his contract is pretty simple — the amount he agrees to give up in the buyout is simply subtracted from his overall cap hit. Kidd-Gilchrist, for instance, agreed to surrender $810,763 from his $13MM salary, reduced his cap charge for the Hornets from $13,000,000 to $12,189,237.

For a player who isn’t in the final year of his contract, the calculations are a little more complicated, and depend on when exactly the buyout is completed.

For instance, Jamal Crawford agreed to a buyout with the Hawks during the summer of 2017. At the time, he had $17,246,988 in guaranteed money left on his contract – $14,246,988 for 2017/18 and a partial guarantee of $3MM for 2018/19.

Crawford agreed to give up $4MM, which worked out to about 23.2% of his overall guarantee. That meant reducing each season’s cap hit by 23.2%, which left Atlanta with charges of $10,942,762 for the first season and $2,304,226 for the next year.

That 23.2% reduction was applied evenly across two seasons in Crawford’s case because he hadn’t been paid any of his salary for the coming season. In cases where a player is bought out later in the league year, the formula is weighted less heavily toward the current league year.

During the 2015/16 season, for example, Andrea Bargnani agreed to a buyout with the Nets after the trade deadline. At the time, he had a cap hit of $1,362,897 for ’15/16, with a $1,551,659 player option for 2016/17. Bargnani gave up his full ’16/17 option salary as part of his buyout, resulting in respective cap charges of $1,039,298 and $323,599.

20. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

shoulda gotten Harden and Oladipo to buy us out, :"So you wanna be a free agent? We can probably make that happen . . . "