1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MTV chief: Janet Jackson to blame for stunt

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, Feb 3, 2004.

1. Rockets34Legend

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/nation/2385613

NEW YORK -- Singer Janet Jackson masterminded the Super Bowl halftime stunt that left her right breast exposed and prompted a federal probe into television indecency, the head of MTV said today.

"Janet Jackson engineered it," MTV Chief Executive Tom Freston said in an interview.

The blame on Jackson comes on a second day of fallout after pop idol Justin Timberlake tore off half of Jackson's black leather bustier while the pair were singing a duet, exposing her right breast at the conclusion of Sunday's Super Bowl halftime show.

Freston, whose company produced the halftime show for CBS, said Timberlake was informed of the stunt just moments before he took the stage with Jackson.

MTV and CBS are both owned by Viacom.

The Super Bowl is the highest-rated U.S. television event, watched by almost 90 million people.

The stunt, which Timberlake said was due to a "wardrobe malfunction," sparked widespread viewer complaints.

Federal Communications Commission regulators launched an investigation amid calls for the government to take a tougher stance on regulating indecency on television.

"There's now going to be an FCC investigation into the nipple," Freston told reporters at a news conference.

Jackson took the blame but said Monday her stunt went further than she intended: "The decision to have a costume reveal at the end of my half-time show performance was made after final rehearsals. MTV was completely unaware of it. It was not my intention that it go as far as it did."

Freston said neither CBS nor the National Football League has rescinded or demanded a refund of MTV's production fees. But sources familiar with the situation said the incident could possibly cost CBS and the NFL millions of dollars.

The sources said that Time Warner Inc. unit America Online may now seek a partial refund of the estimated $10 million it paid as a major Super Bowl advertiser and exclusive halftime show sponsor.

"While AOL was the sponsor of the Super Bowl Halftime Show, we did not produce it," the company said in a statement. "Like the NFL, we were surprised and disappointed with certain elements of the show."

The company said the exposure of Jackson's breast means it cannot now broadcast the halftime extravaganza on its Web site for 25 million AOL members and visitors.

"In deference to our membership and the fans, AOL and AOL.com will not be presenting the Halftime Show online as originally planned," the company said.

McDonald's Corp., which uses Timberlake as a pitch man, said it found the incident was inappropriate but that it will stand by the singer.

An NFL spokesman said it is unlikely that MTV will be asked to produce future halftime shows. MTV is no stranger to producing shows with shock value, most recently making headlines when it broadcast a performance by Madonna and Britney Spears ending with the pair kissing.

2. Behad

Behad Member

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. JPM0016

JPM0016 Member

Janet Jackson blamed for the stunt? what a surprise :rolleyes:

She has a new album about to be released and just this week they sent her 1st single to radio. Controversy sells

4. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, they said they had to release it early because there were so many illegal copies prematurely available on the internet.

Whadda joke.

5. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This reminds me of Scrooged:

Frank Cross: What's wrong with their costumes?
    Censor: Well, specifically, I can see their nipples.
    Cross: What's wrong with seeing their nipples? I WANT to see their nipples.
    Set Construction Worker: You can barely even see them nipples.
    Cross: See and these guys are REALLY looking.

:D

6. coma

coma Member

On the otherside of things, I'm so happy, and very impressed at how well dressed, and lady like, our very own Beyonce was dressed.

She was beautiful, as usual, and her version of the National Anthem gave me goosebumps. It ranks up there with Whitney.

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

AOL was the sponsor of the halftime show...they're asking for at least part of their money back.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

Considering the nipple was actually covered, does it count as TV nudity?

I can understand being annoyed at everyone responsible for the wardrobe malfunction, but I don't understand why people are still talking about it. It wasn't that big a deal was it?

If Janet Jackson really wanted to milk this for publicity for her album release, she shouldn't be saying it was an accident. She should say she did it on purpose. Can the lawsuit expense really be more than the record-sales boost she could earn from that kind of controversy?

9. fadeaway

fadeaway Member

Huh-huh... You said 'milk'. Huh-huh....

They didn't even show it on the broadcast that I saw. I agree that it was a pretty lame stunt, though, no matter whose idea it happened to be.

10. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

Damn, Jeff that's one of my favorite Christmas shows but I can watch it any time of the year. :D

11. Faos

Faos Member

I see. She forced Timberlake into going along with it too I guess.

:rolleyes:

12. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

lmao - I fail to see how the wardrobe "malfunctioned" when pretty boy Timberlake YANKED the thing off.

13. JPM0016

JPM0016 Member

Didn't they have a little fling going on not too long ago. I read somewhere Janet used Justin for nothing more than sex. Apparently she liked to tie him up.

14. MadMax

MadMax Member

will you please...for the love of God...STOP THE HAMMERING!!! :)

15. Behad

Behad Member

Have you tried staples??

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Member

I like using Timberlake's euphemism. I actually believe Janet Jackson's explanation of it though. I don't think it has been well-expressed, but the impression I got was that Timberlake was supposed to remove the patch from her outfit to reveal a red bra beneath. But, Timberlake caught the fabric of the bra at the same time as the leather and ripped them both off. That explains why Timberlake was doing that move in the first place. I have not examined the video evidence to see if the theory works out.

17. MadMax

MadMax Member

:D that's so funny! i love "A Christmas Carol." Seriously, maybe my favorite fiction story. and this "treatment" of it was just great! bill murray is incredible.

18. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

AWESOME!!! ROTFLMAO!!! :D

"This is GREAT! You can't buy publicity like this. I want this ad run every hour. At the bottom, I want a disclaimer: Anyone with a heart condition MUST leave the room!"

:)

19. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Scrooged is the best Christmas show ever..:)

"The b**** hit me with a toaster!"

:D:D

JV...there was no red bra underneath...if it was, it was one of those without the cups..

That stunt was totally staged, and the breast was supposed to be displayed...or else why cover it with the shield?

there is no such thing as bad publicity...as Janet damn well knows..

coma...

Beyonce did a hell of a job...perfect rendition...and what a beautiful young lady she is also...she does Houston proud.

20. Another Brother

It looked like it turned them(Justin and Janet) on.