1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

MS 150

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by DrLudicrous, Apr 4, 2012.

Tags:
  1. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

I'll be riding the MS 150 for the first time this year. I got my road bike around the middle of last year and didn't start riding much until the end of the year so it will be interesting to see how it goes.

1) Is anybody else riding it this year?
    2) If you'v ridden it in the past do you have any tips or advice?
    3) If you'd like to donate on my behalf feel free to do so here.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Is this some sort of Salvadorean gang?

3. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

A bike gang

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

My brother has ridden it for the last 8 years w/ the St. Arnold's team. It was always fun being his "volunteer" and getting a wrist band at the St. Arnold's tent. Free beer is the best beer...especially when it's good beer.

Hopefully you've been training and taking part in the rides on weekends. Saturday will be easier than Sunday. Sunday is when you'll go through Bastrop and all of it's wonderful hills.

5. HeyDude

HeyDude Contributing Member

I have done it before, I would give you tips on training, but may be too late for that. As for the actual MS, make sure you have comfortable bike shorts, cushiony seat, and are an expert with shifting your gears as there are multiple hills the 2nd day....

6. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I haven't ridden in the last couple of years, mainly because it's overcrowded and in particular overwhelmed with riders that do not understand basic road etiquette (talking to you, riding side-by-side-by-side blocking everyone behind you as you natter away)

What I would recommend:

Bandit start near the course around 6:30-6:45 each morning. The official start lines are a horror show. Most teams start in parking lots along or near the first few miles for this reason.

Take full advantage of the rest areas if you need to. You aren't winning anything by overexerting yourself and wrenching your back. Get off the bike and stretch if you haven't built up to doing 30 miles in a single shot.

Get lunch somewhere other than the lunch stops - once again, the crowds are overwhelming and you'll spend more time in lines than you will eating. Just hit a small local place a few miles later.

Absolutely use all of your gears - the idea is your cadence should stay somewhat even on the different terrain. You shouldn't be spinning on flats, and you shouldn't be killing yourself going up hills or in a headwind. Being able to rapidly change gears (timely) is the most important skill.

Pass considerately, don't thread the needle, always call up (don't ring a g****bell), always on the left, and use your arm to signal - you never know when the guy behind you might decide to "double pass" you and the slowpoke you're behind

Always ride as if someone is about to pass you - stay to the right (even if you will pass someone in a minute or two) and ALWAYS look behind you before you get out of your "lane" (3 bike lanes per car lane rule of thumb)

Be liberal with the chafe butter, and keep extra packets on you. You'll need them.

7. DrLudicrous

I have been training, it seems like there's been a few weeks where I wanted to ride more but it always rained at bad times. I'm fairly confidant that I'll be able to finish with no major problems though.

I heard the other day that they're expecting 13,000 riders, which seems absurd. I can definitely see it being overcrowded.

And thanks for the tips.

8. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Strange that the St. Arnold's tent would serve other breweries' beers.

1 person likes this.
  9. DrLudicrous

Since people seem to be in a giving mood I figured I'd bump this. (Not a scam)

10. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This. Way too many stupid people doing it now. Last time I rode it there were 3-4 wrecks that I saw because people didn't know how to control their bikes around other people. Or one fool who didn't understand what to do when going downhill (hint - it is not to freak out and jerk your handlebar in both directions). I miss the days of 6,000 riders.