1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving to Houston for the Summer...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ceonwuka, May 25, 2006.

Tags:
  1. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Hi, I'll be interning this summer @ Hewlett Packard in NorthWest Houston and I need a place to stay. I just finished my second year at UCLA and I've never had to look for an apartment or home to rent before.

Can anyone shoot me some advice on a good/affordable place to stay in the area? I wont have a car, so I'd like to be close to the site. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. updawg

updawg Member

get a car

3. BullFan

BullFan Member

get a car.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Get a car, and I'd say look for a nice apartment complex in the 1960 area.

5. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have to get a car - there is no reliable mass transit for getting to places outside of Houston's "inner loop" (this refers to all land inside 610 highway, which circles the city). If you cannot get a car, then you better find a roomie who can drop you off at work.

Of course, if the company is providing you with complimentary limo service to get to and from work, it might work out....

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

There is a nice appartment complex on Louetta within walking distence of HP. But even if you lived there you will probably want a car to get around in or you are going to be stuck.

7. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

There are lots of affordable places to live in Houston and the surrounding suburbs, but like others have said, you'll need a car.

Life in Houston without a car is like life in Houston without air conditioning. Then again, if you don't have a car with A/C, you'll be sitting at bus stops and walking to buy groceries in Houston's lovely summer climate. Unless you grew up in Mumbai, Manaus, Lagos or Saigon, this won't be appealing.

8. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

9. ceonwuka

ceonwuka Member

Thanks for the input... looks like I'll be renting a car.

I've been looking online and I came across the Chasewood Apts. in Cypresswood. Its actually very close to the HP site, but what kind of area is it. I ask because here in LA the geographic distance between business districts and depressed areas is quite close sometimes.

Also, is $2400/month split 4 ways (2 bed / 2 bath - fully furnished w/ utilities) a good rate for the Houston market?

Thanks again for the feedback.

10. Master Baiter

That seems awfully high to me, even if it is furnished.

11. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Good lord! $2400 a month? Back in 1998 I was paying $650, all utilities included, for a 1 bed, 1 bath within two blocks of the Galleria. Are they sticking it to you because you aren't signing a one year lease? Is this some sort of a short term rental agreement?

12. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

Tivoli Apartments at 249 just after the Louetta is right next to HP, as are two or three other complexes. Isn't someone at HP able to help you with this? :confused:

13. Master Baiter

Things have changed quite a bit since 1998 but not that much. I think he is only here for 3 months but regardless, $2400 a month seems like an ass raping. I live in The Woodlands in what I feel are the nicest apartments in the area and I pay $1000 less than that. It isn't furnished but that area isn't that freaking nice either.

Have you tried contacting the apartments directly or are you going through some service?

You might be better off renting an apartment unfurnished and renting only what you need from Rent-A-Center or something like that. I figure a 2 bedroom apartment over there leases for less than $1000 and even on a 3 month lease they will only stick you maybe $100 a month or something. You can lease furniture and crap for way less than another $1000. Go buy some ****ty kitchen stuff from the Target that is across the street.

14. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

Very true. The company I work for participated in a program where some European college students, all from Poland, came over last year to work for the summer, and our HR department helped arrange their lodging and tons of other paperwork.

15. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Is it this place?
    http://www.apartments.com/partner/summary.aspx?property=101960.1&srank=1&stype=lookup&lookup=101960.1&partner=xx&page=summary&prvpg=7&srt1=0.51&srt2=0.71&srt3=0.52

That's more than double. Get with an Admin at HP and have them help you out.

16. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Any of the apartments right across the street are good, plus the area is fine.

You'll still need a car.

What group will you be interning in?

17. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

no direct help here, but there are tons of nice apt. complexes in the immediate area surrounding HP. $2400 does sound steep though. i used to work out inthat area about 6 years ago and thought it was very nice.... very wooded, nice neighborhoods, etc.

and you'll definitely want a car... cant get anywhere in houston w/o one.

18. Master Baiter

Also if you happen to be in the group with that my ex wife is in, take a dump on her desk for me.

TIA

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

I don't know if anyone has mentioned this yet, but you're gonna need a car.

:p

20. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

get a car

[​IMG]