1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Moving Out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PiPdAdY33, Jul 14, 2006.

1. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

So I'm a student at Uh...I live about 13 miles from school...takes me about 20 minutes to get to school...I'd like to cut down my time in half...I'm currently targeting the Reliant area...like 610 and fannin or the area around Holly Hall...just not crazy about the idea of living on campus or too close to it

I'm looking for a 2 bedroom w/ 2 bath...all bills paid for around like 900 bucks max...anyone here have any advice...I see the apartment locator services that say they are free but I just don't know if I can trust them

Looking to move out in early august before classes start again...and planning to go visit a few places this Saturday

Thx in advance for genuine help...

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Doubt you're going to find that, especially with bills paid. Unless you want to live in a hole..

The commute from my med center location to Uh rules though.. 5 minutes tops.

3. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

I contemplated the Med center but thought it would be too pricey...

Well aside from all bills paid...I mean that I'd like rent + bills to come out to like 900 per month...even if not included...

4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Reliant/610@Holly Hall is considered part of the med center, in terms of living/real estate.

I had a 2/2 for about 900 without bills but it was a newer, nicer place than most of the places in the med center. Since the hurricanes, though, my rent has gone up to 1050.

5. h-townfan

h-townfan Contributing Member

You should check out Park Lake Apartments on 610 & Buffalo Speedway. Its right across from the Washington Mutual. It's a newer complex and really nice but i think it might be a little more than $900 a month for the 2 bedroom.

6. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

Keep in mind that most of the time you get what you pay for.

Consider all expenses per month and if a place is a little higher, but offers an incentive that might save you money elsewhere, it might be worth considering. Although, I can see that you are already bundling the bills as a package, so there might not be anything left.

Also, look at the management company for the places. Find out what the turnover is. For instance, if a place has a great price, chances are that there is the possibility that they are going to change management or ownership. When that happens, you have no idea how much they can raise the rent or what else. It could turn out to be a huge distraction.

Keep researching. You're on the right track.

7. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Thanks for the input guys...I'm probably just going to cruise around that area and visit different places just to inquire...Since this is my 1st time out on my own of sorts...I just wanna play it safe in terms of money...

I live south of bellaire/meyerland down south post oak...So I'm not exactly looking for the swankiest place...

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

i haven't heard many good things about the apts at Holly Hall. i work right off of Holly Hall. from word of mouth, they lack security, there's alot of car break ins and getting in and out is a b**** when REliant has an event. the newer place that is on the corner of 610 and 288 is nice but a bit pricier.

9. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

While I was in school I did apartment locating for about a year. Apartment locators get paid a referal fee by the apartments, and they only get paid if you move in and put their name down (so don't forget that part), so it only makes sense that they do a good job for you. I will tell you this, though, none of the nicer/newer aparatments will do 'all-bills-paid'. If that's what you want, you will probably have to settle for something older or in a scarier area.

10. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd point out that locators won't refer you to complexes that don't pay locators, and not all do. And, as Xero said, the decent complexes won't pay your utilities. At the very least, you'll pay your own electricity. There's a trend now to do billbacks for water and gas too (that's where the complex pays your utility and then turns around and charges you for it).

I can tell you the Broadmead, which is on S. Main, would run you about $750-800 for a 2-bedroom, I think.

11. swilkins

Case in point.

12. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Well after hearing that I won't be as gung hoe about the all bills paid...but all in all still looking to not go over 1000 a month for rent and various bills...

Does anyone know anything about those apartments on 288 and macgregor...I remember when they were building them and I drive by them fairly frequently..

BroadMead is the apartments on south main before you get to 610?...Aside from the price can you tell me anything else about those apartments?

13. swilkins

You might find this site helpful.

http://www.apartmentratings.com/

Nothing is preventing apt employees from post 5's, but the comments can be helpful.

Good luck

14. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

See, viewing these prices makes me glad that I don't live in a metropolitan area. I pay about $800 for rent and bills each month. That's for a 3 bedroom house.

15. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

I like that site, but take everything with a grain of salt. The apartments I live in are listed on there and you would think it was a crackhouse from reading the reviews. But actually these are the best apartments I have lived in ever. The best thing to do is to ignore reviews that are at the extremes. Also, pay attention to the dates of the reviews. Because managers and staff get changed like underwear, things change rapidly at complexes.

On another note, when you choose a place, make sure to make some visits over there at night. Some places totally change their character based on the amount of daylight.

16. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Damn! That's a good rate! :eek:

Where in Houston do you live?

17. swilkins

So where did you end up getting your crack?

:cool:

18. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I believe he lives in the Arkansas section.

19. PiPdAdY33

PiPdAdY33 Member

Okay so I give up on hunting myself...Now I'm ready to use an apartment locator
    Just wondering could anyone recommend one to me and if it would make any difference if I go do it in person or just do it online / over the phone?

Thx in advance..

20. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member