1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Year of the Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by The Ming Dynasty, Feb 19, 2005.

1. The Ming Dynasty

Year of the Yao

I heard them mention it tonight prior to the Dunk/3 point competition. Does anyone know anything about it? Is it a made for TV movie or is it in the theatres? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Faos

Faos Member

It's an NBA Entertainment production. It will be in theatres but I wouldn't expect it would be in a lot of theatres. I read a review of it a few months ago and it said it was interesting at times, but nothing special. I'd still like to see it.

3. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

when cheryl miller interviewed yao and tmac she was mentioning that it came out this past weekend, but i dont know if that was nationwide or limited release or what but imdb states that its opening april 29 in limited release. I am not sure what the hold up is maybe the pushed up the release date but i have not heard or seen anything about it other than the fssw clips that r2k had posted. the movie has been screened at select film festivals already

4. The Ming Dynasty

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

you didnt catch the feature stories I posted last week?

FSN did two stories on the Year Of The Yao prior to two games from last week...I clipped them and posted them....

IF you are interested...I could make them available vie bittorrent tomorrow...

let me know

6. Faos

Faos Member

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/reviews/review_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000630592

The Year of The Yao

By Andrew Sun

You don't have to be a hoops fan to know that Yao Ming is a 7'5" basketball sensation from China. He's already become a big star in North America, and carries the hopes and dreams of the entire Chinese population, as the dominating center of the Houston Rockets.

"The Year Of The Yao" tries to gives us a look at the man behind the gentle giant during his first season as a pro, with close access to him at home, on the road, in the locker room and trying out North American delicacies like Taco Bell. What emerges is that Yao is a fascinating individual with great humor and modesty, as well as the potential to be one of the greats.

Unfortunately, that's all we really find out about the guy. Sports fans might be satisfied with this kind of standard superficial athlete profile, but the film is not likely to have much range outside of the ESPN subscriber base. Given that the project was produced with NBA Entertainment, it's no surprise. "The Year Of The Yao" is essentially a fluff job, designed to build a myth around their new icon, while leaving more sensitive issues like race, politics and money sitting on the bench.

In fact, filmmakers James Stern ("Michael Jordan To The Max") and Adam del Deo leaves a lot of deeper territories unexplored and untouched. Packaged with inspirational music and some over-the-top narration, the doc includes snippet insights from people like Yahoo's Jerry Yang, Bill Clinton, the Chinese Ambassador to and teammates all of whom gush about Yao's importance to Asians, international sports and (gulp!) world peace. The film's introduction about the mystery and history of China and its glorious sports culture is also quite gagging.

But as far as real insight, "The Year Of The Yao" presents little more than anecdotal scenes of Yao acclimatizing to American culture and the demands of a American sports career, one pampered with luxuries beyond his meager beginning in Shanghai. The only real interesting character development is his relationship with Colin Pine, Yao's young fulltime translator who is just as much of a rookie in terms of adapting to the NBA. There's not much interaction with his parents, teammates or opponents. The film is like having an all-access pass and not exploiting it for even a backstage free soda.

The film is pretty much a glossied diary following draft day 2003 through to the end of Yao's first season. A typical sports narration carries most of the drama, while insignificant drama is built up for exaggerated effect. A flippant comment by loudmouth former player turned broadcaster Charles Barkley is played for all its empty controversy. Games against Los Angeles Lakers are promoted as personal showdowns between Shaq and Yao.

More interesting might be some insight from Yao on the bling-bling culture of the league? What does he think of the Western stereotypes about Chinese people? Has he read any coverage of way his home government is presented in American news? And what about the boatload of money he's now making? Forget it, "The Year of The Yao" is instead more interested in being there when Yao tries his first Taco Bell Grande. Take it for what it is, this is all about selling the NBA and marketing Yao Ming.

7. Faos

Faos Member

8. The Ming Dynasty

I'm definately interested if it's different than what Faos just posted below (thanks Faos).

Sorry, I mean (posted ABOVE)

9. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

no...that is a news story.

what I am talking about is...before or after ROckets games on FSSW....the do feature stories about different players...or speacial Rockets events...sometimes I clip them out and post them in video form if I think they would be of interst to yall....

10. vtkp99

vtkp99 Member

here you go
    [​IMG]

11. pryuen

pryuen Member

And here are the photos of Yao Ming at the US premier of The Year of the Yao at Denver's Paramount Theater on Saturday !!!

PHOTO GALLERY

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Houstonrocketss

Thats not a movie it's a documentary....

13. cson

cson Member

you mean on paper?

14. PhiSlammaJamma

The credits to be...

In 2004-2014 Yao won consective championships with the houston Rockets.

Yao married tennis player Anna Kournikova in 2006

Yao bought Richard Bransons personal island. Complete with 74 acres and a Balinese spa, the scenic locale is the perfect hideaway from the world.

Colin Pine is now cold and lonely.

15. The Ming Dynasty

Just logged back on. Love to see them.

16. ROCS4LIFE

ROCS4LIFE Member

The Yao Ming movie !

The Yao Ming movie !

It's a documentary of Yao Ming from his amazing journey to China to the NBA. I cannot wait to see this film.

http://www.yearoftheyao.com/

link 2

It tells more info in the links i provided.

17. micah1j

micah1j Member

18. m_cable

m_cable Member

Yeah it's been posted before. But you got to like the enthusiasm of the kid. That exclamation point in the title won me over. I mean it's just like the previous threads about Yao's movie, but this one is !'er than the rest. I like that. ! on, Brother. ! on.

19. DavidS

DavidS Member

#20 DavidS, Feb 26, 2005
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2005