1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] JJ Abram's (black) Superman Reboot

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, May 6, 2021.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Lots of controversy already. Warner/DC can't get their **** straight even with the MCU as a model and the Snyder Cut success as a starting point.
    • Announced on Henry Cavil's birthday. Arguably a great Superman and the best since Reeves.
    • Instead of using an existing black Superman such as Calvin Ellis or Val-zod, they're going to reboot Kal El

https://twitter.com/ColdBloodedJoke/status/1390009158481633284?s=20

tinman likes this.
  2. Xerobull

Oh, to top it off, Cavil will be Superman in Black Adam.

It's like the Batman reboot when people just want Affleck or the 'main' batman. WTF are they doing?

tinman likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

Cavil and his agent was asking lot of money. That's been one of the hold ups of him coming back.

DC movies while profitable pre pandemic was still thought under performing. (Aquaman / WW 1s movie an exception.). WB didn't want to overpay. Getting an alternate Superman might be a way round it; but sounds like Twitterverse is reacting.

There's been a Black and Asian Superman in the comics. But not as deep as say Falcon taking the Capt American mantle or Miles Morales, who had a successful story run for Spidey.

#3 TimDuncanDonaut, May 6, 2021
    Last edited: May 6, 2021
  4. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

They should cast Wonder Woman with someone from the Amazon rainforest.

DreamShook, Deckard and B-Bob like this.
  5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So .. why do people have a problem with a black actor playing Clark Kent in a new Superman movie?

You're not supposed to change the race of fictional characters anymore, is that it? Even if they are literally non-human aliens? Ridiculous controversy.

jiggyfly likes this.
  6. Xerobull

Don't ask me, read the tweets yourself.

Personally, I don't care except the fact that Cavil is doing a great job.

7. durvasa

To be clear, my post was a response to the tweets you quoted, not you specifically.

I understand wanting to stick with the same actor, particular if continuing the existing story line. But if this really is a reboot of the character (yet again), then I see no problem with portraying him with a black actor or Chinese actor or whatever. He's an alien -- "whiteness" shouldn't be central to the character.

Xerobull likes this.
  8. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

WB is just a mess. I guess they're going to have 2 versions of the exact same character going on at the same time.

It's dumb but it will make money. And if they end up casting MBJ, it might even be good. But... it will make no sense.

9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I think any person who finds themselves upset about this, for any reason, needs to reevaluate their life.

mikol13, jiggyfly and KingCheetah like this.
  10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, who gives a **** if it's Cavil's birthday, **** him. Lulzt

11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I don't really care, but I believe Cavil is actually Superman IRL and is disguised as an actor.

mikol13, runamok, BigM and 1 other person like this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

@Xerobull

13. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I don't trust DC with a damn thing, so not really interested. Don't care about him being black, but because I trust DC so little I expect this to be nothing more than a lazy cash grab on the social climate of today. "Hey, lets make a black superman, that will draw regardless of quality".

They have yet to make anything great, and they don't have the connective tissue marvel does to carry interest in weaker movies. Just a massive clusterf**k with the occasional decent time waster.

Clutch City1993 and Xerobull like this.
  14. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

DC has so consistently screwed things up. This isn't anything that moves the needle for me, really, but they just always seem to **** all over even the things they accidentally get right. The first Wonder Woman was a genuinely good movie and the sequel was about as bad a product as I've seen in a comic book movie in a while.

I always felt like Cavill was one of the strong points in the DC universe. He's a perfect Superman. They just need to figure out how to write the character properly. Changing to a different actor (black, latino, asian, doesn't matter) won't change their stupid decisions and it will just be bad movies in different shades.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I mean... It's a zillionaire's birthday, and he found out a movie studio might make a new movie with a black superman.
    If anything, if I'm him, there's like an enormous sense of relief, or curiosity about a blek versus white superman sequel or some other dumb crap. LOL.

Xerobull likes this.
  16. Xerobull

Pretty classless for DC to announce it on his b-day but honestly, it's probably just a coincidence.

However, this is Cavil's big role, even with his other standout roles over the past decade. I don't think he's dancing a jig because he doesn't have to play the role due to not enough money.

I know you're poking fun at me but I really don't care. I gave up on giving a **** about color-washing when they had people of all races as members of a Norse mythological city(Asgard) in the first Thor. I just swallowed my nerd angst, wrapped my head around it and moved on. Lo and behold, Heimdall was the best supporting ancillary Asgardian character in the Thor movies.

Got it, I didn't think you were making it personal.

There are some valid arguments in the Tweets I posted. Why make him Kal-El? There are literally black Supermen in the DC Comic mythos that people would love to see. As also noted on Twitter, there's a black Captain America and a black Spider-Man that aren't a reboot of the same person. I think it's more about just growing some balls, taking a cue from the MCU and making a movie about those characters without some sort of wash.

I will say that if Marvel rolled out a white guy, say, The Winter Soldier as the new Black Panther, even if there's a feasible storyline (he's pretty deeply connected to Wakanda at this point) there would certainly be a different sort of outcry from the black community. But that's not going to happen because Marvel/Disney is way too smart to step on that landmine.

durvasa and B-Bob like this.
  17. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

So many great potential film concepts.

So much rich DC comic book lore.

Deathstroke film? Nah. John Stewart film? Nah.
    MOS 2? Never.

Terrible.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. durvasa

Honestly, I'm not an avid comic book reader and I never heard of alternate black supermen characters. My immediate reaction to this would probably have been different, knowing that.

19. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

WB/DC is like the idiot in your class in college that copies off of our test knowing full well that each test has different questions/answers.

Walter Hamada: "I saw something interesting on Disney+ the other night...y'know watching for research purposes...they had the nerve to make Captain America...black"
    His team: "Well, sir, that was in the works since their last blockbuster Avengers Endgame."
    Hamada: "Who cares? Let's go ahead and do that too! We'll use.....Superman!"
    Team: "That's not a bad idea because in the comics there is a black Superman and his name is--"
    Hamada: "Kal-El?"
    Team: "Um no...it's actually--"
    Hamada: "Who cares?? What's in a name? Remember 'Martha'? LOLZ"

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When you look at all the superhero movies that have crashed and burned, the #1 superhero movie "bad idea" pretty consistently seems to be diverging from the source material.

It seems like just a monumental mistake of ego by any film executive to approve a major change to they dynamics of the story that isn't something that has already shown success in the actual comic books.

B-Bob likes this.