1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[MOVIE] Jay Chou to Do a SLAM DUNK with Yao Ming

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by MoretF, Jul 15, 2006.

1. MoretF

MoretF Member

Jay Chou to Do a SLAM DUNK with Yao Ming (MonkeyPeaches Exclusive)

June 30, 2006

(Sony Pictures Classics)

According to multiple sources, Taiwan-born pop singer Jay Chou has principally agreed to take the lead in Guan Lan (Slam Dunk) with Yao Ming making a cameo appearance. Produced by Taiwan's Chang-Hong Channel Film & Video Co. Ltd. and directed by Chu Yin-Ping, Slam Dunk is about an orphan, who grew up at Kung-Fu University (no kidding!), becomes a talented basketball player. Idea for this movie is actually inspired by the same-name Japanese manga series. Wu Dun, president of Chang-Hong, intents to make Slam Dunk a pure Taiwanese-made, has turned down a financial offer from a Hong Kong company and has asked the Taiwanese government to share the cost, which has soared to about US$10 million. (Good luck!) Wu said he would ask Korean singer BoA to play Jay Chou's girlfriend and the mainland Chinese partner just booked Yao Ming for one-day cameo shoot. As for the choreography, Wu has been in contact with Ching Siu-Tung (The Curse of Golden Flower, House of Flying Daggers, Hero). According to a press article released last November, the cast may also include Eric Tsang, Antony Wong, Ng Man-Tat, Wang Gang and Zhang Guoli. Hong Kong's Centro Digital (The Promise, Kung Fu Hustle, Shaolin Soccer) is commissioned to do the CG effects. Shooting will begin sometime next year. Though tries to make it completely in Taiwan, Wu has said he may shoot some scenes in the mainland China because the leasing Taipei Arena would be too costly.

http://www.monkeypeaches.com/0606M.html#30A

Can't wait for Yao's cameo. Would he be the first Chinese sportsman in a movie cameo?

2. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Member

my whole entire family and friends have read and watched Slam dunk.

Never got into manga though although i'm asian and i think that takes away my asian card. DAMN U MANGA!

3. Kam

Kam Member

i'm not a manga or anime fanboi. i never got into that ****.

however, i saw this one manga that i liked.

Amazon

[​IMG]

I just thought she was hot.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

Kam, that's published by Vertigo (DC's subsidiary) based off an English comic (Sandman by Neil Gaiman), therefore not manga (I know this because I am in the industry and (I'm a nerd)). Manga is from Asia (usually Japan) and in the smaller digest form.
    But if you find that chick hot, I'd hate to see what you keep in your "Not p*rn, just accounting files!!!!" folder on your hard drive.

But anyway, every single one of my Asian (the one's actually from Asia) friends have read SLAM DUNK and seen the cartoon based off it. It sould be huge in Taiwan, Hong Kong and Japan. I guess it also shows that the Taiwan China relationship isn't as horrible as we think if Yao is voluntarily having a cameo in that movie.

I wonder if that also means that he's no longer a SLAM DUNK for the World Championships? That's right, I made a pun, now go masturbate.

5. Yan_Yao

Yan_Yao Member

Majority of Taiwan popular celebrities are PRO Chinese, in fact, many of the good songs wrote about how good and proud to be a Chinese is produced by Taiwan artist, including Jay Chou.

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

duh, I listen to Jay Chou! but the media in the US seems to think that there's an inevitable war that will happen anyday.

7. Kam

Kam Member

if yao gets injured, im sending nukes to taiwan.

or chinese-taipai ?

8. freemaniam

freemaniam 我是自由人

I hope Team Yao rejected the invitation for him. Looking into the names of the "proposed" casting and production crew, it can only turned out to be another Taiwanese-niched comedy which IMO not funny at all.