1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Capote

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bullard4Life, Dec 12, 2005.

1. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

Didn't see a thread on it so I figured a post was warranted.

I saw this on Saturday night at the Landmark on West Gray with a couple of friends. It was my first time upstairs in the theatre and I liked the smaller set up. Anyway, to the movie.

First, as a warning, if you are homophobic this movie probably isn't for you. I wasn't aware of how effeminate Capote's voice was and it took me about 20 minutes to get used to the character. If ostentatious homosexuals irritate you, then don't go to see this movie.

Now for the movie proper. I really thought this was a great film. The only movie I've seen recently that was better was "Good Night and Good Luck." The movie is about Capote writing In Cold Blood, which chronicles the murder of a farmer and his family in Kansas, the resulting search and trial, and finally, the execution of the prisoners. Through the process Capote becomes emotionally attached to one of the prisoners and increasingly affected by the trial and execution.

The movie itself looks beautiful. There was no heavy editing, random cuts, or awkward angles. I was never aware of the director's choices, the best sign of a good presentation. Moreover, the director used establishing shots of the Kansas scenery before most of the scenes with the killers. There's something about the bleak and harsh midwestern plains in the winter that really makes things seem almost godless. Whenever I saw those shots it subconsciously brought up images of the old Gein farmhouse. I really enjoyed the look of the film.

Philip Seymour Hoffman's performance was great. While Captoe was a flamboyant character in real life and could be merely charicatured, Hoffman gives a very layered presentation. I think his performance is exponentially better than Jamie Foxx's Ray Charles impersonation. The movie is one of the few where I've left thinking an actor really elevated the quality of the film.

Finally, the movie has some very powerful scenes. The scenes of the family's murder and the execution of Perry take place without a soundtrack. I really thought that added to the horro of the events. The fact is that these people were killed in silence. There was no music in the background, no real narrative structure, there was simply a random and horrific event that shattered a town's sheltered view of life. At the end of the film, I could really see how a man like Capote could be destroyed by an experience like that.

Anyway, if you like more subtle, character-driven movies (e.g. Lost in Translation), this is a movie you should check out. If you don't like movies that lack action, fast-paced plots, or over the top humor, then I would recommend against it. Oh well, here's hoping there are more movies like this in the future.