1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Unfortunate NBA Careers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rox225, Jun 3, 2004.

1. Rox225

Rox225 Member

Many times people look at NBA players as larger than life. The money, fame, and hype that makes NBA players seem indestructible is ironically the reason they end up in trouble. Either the money or fame went to their heads or they just could not live up to the hype. I've compiled a list of unfortunate NBA careers. Some of them are self imposed while some are just expectations unfulfilled, and career ending injuries. Here's the list.

Tragedies:
    1: The death of #2 pick Len Bias from the Univ. of Maryland
    2: Drazen Petrovic involved in deadly car accident
    3: Jayson Williams fataly shooting limo driver (injuries also)
    4: Roy Tarpley drug abuse
    5: Alonzo Mourning career ending kidney disease
    6: Danny Manning injury layden career (2 consecutive ACL injuries)

Lottery Busts:
    1: Sam Bowie ( MJ taken #3 Bowie taken #2)
    2: Harold Miner-The next MJ anyone?
    3: Yinke Dare-Go Nets!
    4: O'Bannion brothers
    5: Jaron Rush (Kareem's brother struggled with drugs, fell out of favor)
    6: Calbert Cheaney (never lived up to the hype)
    7: Jerry Stackhouse (what happened to the Stack Attack?)
    8: Isiah Rider (See Stackhouse)
    9: Antonio Daniels
    10: Frederick Weiss-Only in New York

Again, this list is debateable. Some of these players have had somewhat successful careers, but based on their hype have been disappointing. Others are just horrible picks. I know I'm missing some so feel free to add as needed.

2. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Jay Williams motorcycle wreck.

I always thought Stackhouse was going to be the next Drexler, but he never seemed to get the right support (amoung other things).

3. dharocks

dharocks Member

I wouldn't include Jayson Williams... The shooting accident happened after he had retired.

Jay Williams' motorcycle accident, however, certainly belongs up there.

4. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Member

not trying to be a jerk but williams knew better than to ride a motorcycle and that one espn show filmed him riding one 2-3 weeks before the accident and he even said that he shouldnt be supposed to be riding one because of his contract but he didnt care. i shouldnt say it serves him right, that sucks about hte accident but i wont show him any sympathy over it. you think a boss in a company would show sympathy for coming in late to a meeting when you know better? sorta the same deal with jay williams

5. lost_elephant

lost_elephant Member

bobby hurley accident.

6. Sane

Sane Member

I can't remember the name accurately, but didn't Bobby Phills die when he was with the Hornets? That was bad.

Eddie Griffin could get an honorable mention, but he still has a chance.

7. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Member

drazen is top of my list

what about Reggie Lewis and the Goat

8. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Interesting selections. Kind of awkward to have Bias and Drazen in a list with Danny Manning, as one players' tragedy does not compare with anothers.

For injuries cutting into a player's career, you have to include Grant Hill and even Penny Hardaway. Why not even Bill Walton?

As far as your lottery busts, a person can go through any year's draft and find a bust or two in the top 15. However don't count Yinka Dare as a lottery bust, as he was picked at 14 and in 1994 the draft lottery only included 11 teams.

Funny not to see EG in your list of tragedies, Rox225.

9. yipengzhao

yipengzhao Member

if you are talking about deaths. malik sealy as well. good player. but i'll always remember him as "stacy patton" in Eddie.

the first one that came to my mind not on the list was Jay Williams. he was supposed to be the Michael Jordan of point guard remember? and everyone dogged the Rockets for taking Yao Ming.

Danny Manning is a good call. he still had a pretty good career. but you know he was one of the best college bball players ever.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The whole backcourt of the 1986 Houston Rockets. Actually the whole team besides Dream.

11. Rox225

Rox225 Member

Yao Wink, the title of 'tragedies' can be misleading. Incidents like the Drazen Petrovic accident or Len Bias overdose are tragedies in the true sense of the word. On the other hand, Danny Manning, while having a decent career, can be considered a tragedy because of how much potential talent was lost to unfortunate injuries. In most cases, bad luck can be construed to mean tragic.

As for the lottery busts. I agree, you can definetely go to any draft and find lottery busts, but these names just came to mind off the top of my head. The reason I do mention Yinke Dare is because there seemed to be so much hype behind him. While he was not a 'lottery pick' in the traditional sense of the phrase, he was still a bust in my opinion, and more so because of the attention he received. Eddie Griffin, while a bust in most people's minds, I feel still has time to redeem himself. I'm not ready to pass judgement on EG just yet, but he could be a precautionary additon to the list.

Malik Sealy and Bobby Phils were both one's I missed. What about Big Country Bryant Reeves? How soon we forget!

12. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

i cant believe nobody added ralph sampson.......

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Ralph was on the 1986 Houston Rockets, wasn't he???

14. Rocketeer

Rocketeer Member

Grant Hill, who knows how his career would of turned out if he would of stayed healthy. Same for Penny Hardaway.

15. JamesC

JamesC Member

Michael Dickerson. I loved the guy in his first year with the Rockets, he was a blur up and down the court.

I remember TNT talking about Michael Ray Richardson who got banned from the NBA for cocaine use. I was a 4 time all star in 8 seasons or something like that. I always wondered what would've been if he'd played with Ewing longer.

16. Mango

Mango Member

Bedford
    Washburn
    Ferry

17. vunny1408

vunny1408 Member

Shawn Kemp anyone? He was at the top of his game in the 95-96 finals and considered perhaps the top power forward at the time. Unfortunately, he wanted a fat contract (Jim McKalvaine was getting more money than him in Seattle) and wound up in Cleveland...he went down from there. He wanted a fat contract and ended up being one himself.

18. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Member

Connie Hawkins.

19. teknokid

teknokid Member

I wouldnt include Stackhouse in Lotter Bust

20. UTweezer

UTweezer Member

buck johnson