1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most underrated and overrated movies of 2001

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by A-Train, Jan 6, 2002.

1. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

I know I'll probably get razzed for a couple of these, but here are my personal picks for most underrated and overrated flicks of 2001...

Underrated:

1) Legally Blonde: Although a little unrealistic, I was pleasantly suprised with this great comedy. Considering it had an almost unknown cast, no nudity or sex, and wasn't a sequel, the fact it almost grossed $100 million is pretty amazing...

2) The Mexican: Two words, "El Camino". Julia Roberts and Brad Pitt are a perfect match in this comedy. One of those films that you have to watch a second time to really get all the jokes...And that dog was hilarious!

3) The Majestic: This movie was simple released at the wrong time, trying to go head-to-head with LOTR. Jim Carrey is trying to push for a much deserving Oscar nod in this one, but it probably would have done a lot better at the box office had it been released in January

Overrated:

Rush Hour 2: The movie was OK, with a couple of funny parts, but when compared to the first one, very stale and watered down...

Pearl Harbor: My gawd....did it really take THAT long for the Japanese to bomb pearl harbor? That bombing scene was way too long. Plus, the whole "guy supposedly dies, girl falls in love while he's supposedly dead, dead guy comes back for her" angle has been done too many times...

The Mummy Returns: "I have an idea, let's pay The Rock $5 million for a 15 minute cameo appearance and throw in a bunch of unecessary special effects!!". I should have seen this one coming. In the original, the special effects were a nice compliment to a great story. In this one, the effects swallowed you whole and spit you to the ground...A sequel to a movie that should have never been made

I've already read the <i>Ali</i> thread here, so I'll wait for that one on DVD...

2. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Underrated:

Rat Race
    Tomb Raider

Overrated:

American Pie 2 (well, it did good in the box office)

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Just some random ones

Underatted
    Evolution
    Rat Race
    Was WOnder Boys this year? - I thought it was real good.

Overrated
    A.I. - I thought it sucked

4. NCSTATEFAN

NCSTATEFAN Member

Underrated: American Outlaw

5. DEANBCURTIS

DEANBCURTIS Member

Underrated:

Brotherhood of the Wolf
    Ghost World
    The Royal Tenenbaums
    Vanilla Sky (mind fu(king is a good thing!)
    The Anniversary Party
    The Tailor of Panama

Overrated:

Harry Potter
    Rush Hour 2
    Pearl Harbor

6. AntiSonic

AntiSonic Member

Underrated:
    What's the Worst that Could Happen
    Shrek(has the most beautiful computer renderings I've ever seen)

7. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

by far the best movie of this past year was one that not many people heard/saw because it was released in only 500 or so theaters. That movie is
    Memento. Its a shame that it didnt receive any gloden globe nods (any major ones) I hope the oscars dont pass this movie up just because not many people had a chance to be exposed to it. Its out on dvd/vhs now go rent it. You wont be disappointed this movie is one of the best I have ever seen.