1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Most Comprehensive Jalen Sucks Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Landry's Tooth, May 11, 2023.

1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You do realize Lou was 31 years old and 13 year vet who played 32.8 min a game that season right? You’re comparing a 20 yr second year guy to a seasoned vet. Besides their offensive game is nothing alike.

2. Landry's Tooth

The premise that you cannot compare Green to guards taken high in the draft at the same age is silly.

No centers or power forwards were on the list. The only wing was Luka who plays more like a guard.

Just for my amusement, tell me who on the list of 11 other players is a center...

3. Landry's Tooth

#183 Landry's Tooth, May 12, 2023
    Last edited: May 12, 2023
  4. Landry's Tooth

You do realize i never claimed what you're so upset about.

Look at the point I responded to. They made no mention of age:

"A player who sucks can't put up 30,40 pts games with stellar stats."

And I said Lou Williams doesn't suck but it would if that was what the Rockets used a #2 pick on.

Better luck next time fanboy...

5. Landry's Tooth

I didn't pick the numbers, i pretty much just put them all out there for most similar players based on age, position, and draft status.

Sounds like you don't like Green's production...

6. Landry's Tooth

Define overall offensive efficiency. Fanboys are pounding the table for ts%; which isn't a strong argument when it got worse.

7. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Is this taking in consideration situation, what defenses are gearing up towards, coaching, ect? If you are comparing him to Luka he will always lose that battle but there are so many more factors than just looking at stats.

8. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You really do judge and assume a lot. That’s your issue. Aint no upset here on this little fan site. Just pointing out your biases and fuc$ed up logic. You mentioned specifically that Lou was better than Green “at this point” and mentioned the 3 40 pt games in 2017-2018. At what point? Lou’s second year? Try again. Lou’s 13th year. Again fuc$ked up logic and flawed argument not rooted in facts.

#188 Stephen_A, May 12, 2023
    DatRocketFan likes this.
  9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

U need reading comprehension skills.
    I said what u are doing is to sht on green can yield the same effect if u just compared green to 10 centers of your choice and btch that Jalen Green sucks when he is dead last in blocks and rebounds.

Lamelo Ball = pg
    RJ Barrett = shooting guard/forward
    Bradley Beal = sg
    Luka Doncic = pg/sg
    Anthony Edwards = shooting guard
    Markell Fultz = pg
    Kyrie Irving = pg
    Enmanuel Mudiay = pg
    Jamal Murray = pg/sg
    Deanglo Russell = pg
    Coby White = pg

Oh green sucks bc his assist is low. No sht most of the players on the list are pg.

#189 DatRocketFan, May 12, 2023
    Stephen_A likes this.
  10. Landry's Tooth

If you did that you could never compare any player to any other since they all run different offenses/defenses, different coaches, different teammates, and peak at different developments.

How about you just say "Me likey jalen green. Me love him long time?"

Or are you going to give me a solution for your point? What do you have in mind?

11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lol I don’t care who brought Kobe up. Point is you still made a Kobe comparison and it’s dumb

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

When I have time I will send you my thoughts on this dumb post of yours and why your data is flawed.

13. Landry's Tooth

Guards get rebounds. Centers get assists.

He's being compared to guards only, not centers. There are no centers on the list. Your comment makes no sense at all. So you can't compare him to other guards at the same age in nearly all the stats?

I'm trying to be nice but it's dumb I need to respond to this.

14. Landry's Tooth

Actually it's data from basketball reference. You're wel on to say how they are wrong. I just gave you raw numbers.

Sounds like a tacit admission Green is no good if you're saying his numbers aren't so you need different ones.

15. Landry's Tooth

So the fact i criticized the Kobe comparison gives you the idea to criticize me for criticizing it.

You think Green is like Kobe? Why else would you attack me for pointing out how silly it is?

I think you may be coming across a little wacky here. Maybe step away for a bit and check the meds...

16. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, his offensive rating increased over last year from 105 to 109. It's a complicated formula, but the basic definition is:

https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/ratings.html

Essentially, all his offensive contributions combined are generating more points this year each time he touches the ball.

Basketball is complicated, too, though--it's not like baseball where a player's offense is mostly produced in isolation from other offensive players. Changes in role and type of usage can affect efficiency, and I definitely think Green's role and usage were different this year. So I'd argue he's also been better than what advanced statistics can show us.

17. Landry's Tooth

Fair argument at macro level. I think offensive rating is flawed for reasons you cite. It's a good piece but not sole reliance similar to box +/-.

It's still tough to reconcile the dip in ts% with increase in rating if not for play of his teammates.

OremLK likes this.
  18. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Actually I don't have much of an opinion on him either way but I think your reply is cute. I simply asked if you were taking those things in consideration, no reason to get defensive.

Stephen_A likes this.
  19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The point being is u need to compare him to actual shooting guards not pgs. Your method is already flawed from the get go. A shooting guard and a point guard role are two different things.

What u are doing is comparing green to a list of pgs And finding him near the bottom in certain stats. No sht green would b near the bottom in assist.

U could do the same exact sht by comparing green to a bunch of centers and claims he sucks bc he's dead last in rebounds and blocks.

#199 DatRocketFan, May 12, 2023
    fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. Landry's Tooth

I just feel it was a strange point because it would apply to comparing Embiid to Jokic or Embiid to Olajuwon.

It pretty much goes without saying.

I thought limiting to top 10 picks meant most of the time these were players going to bad teams and not a Wiseman situation.

Bad teams usually have varying degrees of dysfunctional talent or coaching.