1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Reed Sheppard is a Rocket! And what happened with that Clingan smokescreen? We're talking Rockets live at 10:30am CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    It's time for the second round of the Draft! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 3:00pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #44?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

More Draft Scuttlebutt

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by m_cable, Jun 13, 2006.

1. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Here's some stuff about Sheldon Williams, which I was going to put in the other thread, but there's an interesting Seattle mention that I thought was worth it's own discussion.

Here's what Roxtxia said in the other thread.

Draftexpress floated some circumstancial evidence that might support a variation of that theory.

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1339

So maybe it's not Atlanta who Sheldon shut down his workouts for. Maybe it's OKC/Nola. I'm game for trading our #8 for the #12 and #15. We might miss out on Brewer but we've got so many holes, it'd be hard to pass up two guys to add depth to our team.

Although that mention about Seattle selling their pick intrigues me. I know that next year is supposed to be the deepest draft in a long time, but if we can bounce back, surely a #10 this year would still be better than a #20+ next year.

I'd do the 8 for 12 and 15 deal. Cash and next year's #1 for Seattle's pick at #10. Then we can draft Brewer at 10, Carney or Redick at 12 (whoever the Magic doesn't pick), and Alexander Johnson at 15.

That would be a huge infusion of depth and young talent.

#1 m_cable, Jun 13, 2006
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2006
  2. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

mcable i love that idea. if we could get reddick and one of either brewer or carney we'd be looking mighty strong. there's a good chance atleast one if not all of those guys pan out.

3. dream2franchise

As long as we get Brewer, i'm down too.

I wouldn't do 8 for 12 and 15 on its own, but i'd do it along with the deal for the 10... if that makes sense, as it gets us a shot at Brewer.

4. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

if we're sitting pat at #8 i'll just flat out take brewer. but if we did end up with picks 10 and 12 i'd rather take reddick at 10 and hope brewer is there at 12 and if he's not pick up carney.

i don't know about reddick lasting till 12 but i'm pretty sure carney or brewer will be there.

5. hooroo

hooroo Member

rockets #8 for NO #15 + 2007 1st round pick then it's all good.

6. verse

verse Contributing Member

correct! much, much, stronger draft next year.

7. Nero

Nero Member

Holy Crap though!

Three rookie first-rounders in the same year, all with guaranteed contracts for the next three years?

I dunno man.. I could see them going with two (they stuck with both when they got Yao and Boki) but the last time we had three, we gave them all away for basically nothing (ack! blood-pressure rising!)..

Somehow I doubt that JVG would be on board with three guaranteed-contract rookies all on the team at the same time, considering how he has this preference for salty old vets.. me personally, I would love to see it happen, if for no other reason than the youth alone.

But we must try to keep in mind than V-Span is probably going to be here this coming season as well, so that would mean him and three first-round rookies, AND a second-rounder as well?

I just don't know how that would possibly work unless we were able to miraculously trade JHo or Swift for some future picks or something.

And if you factor in the possibility of bringing back James, then that is a six-man addition to the roster from last year? How do we slice 6 guys off the current roster?

Let's assume that Brunson, Lampe, Bowen, Frahm, maybe Bogans and Sura are gone. How much guaranteed money would something like that cost to just cut those guys, or trade them for future #2's?

Even if you forget the Seattle deal, and keep next year's #1, that's still 5 guys you have to add - unless you also assume that this year's #2 is simply not going to stick no matter what. (which would be a shame if it happens to be someone like Gansey, Novak, Brown, or Gibson or Pitz, or even Fernandez.)

Now in that case, if Seattle is really more interested in cash than improving right now, then it may be even more ideal to consider sending them cash and this year's #2 for their #10 this year, and we keep #8 and #10. That way we're only adding 3 or 4 new guys (depending on what happens with James and V-Span). This would allow Seattle to still add a pretty good player without having to pony up guaranteed slotted money for three years.

Would Seattle go for that, instead of a #1 next year, since that pick would still mean paying guaranteed money? I know people would say we would be reaming Seattle in this deal (and I would agree ;) ), but once you make it clear you are willing to give up on improving in order to grab some cash, then we can't just automatically say 'Seattle would never go for that!', can we?

Out curiosity, how does a 'cash and picks' trade like that affect the salary cap? Is any 'cash consideration' considered to be part of the cap?

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Why are the Rockets looking to draft a PF/C? :confused:

9. zaam

zaam Contributing Member

That depends on whether you are listening to CD or JVG. Hearing from JVG, it sounds like he was unimpressed about a couple of facets of VSpan's game.

10. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Because we need depth at those positions. A player like Cedric Simmons gives us a taller, stronger, smarter, more motivated PF than Swift without losing the "athleticism." A player like Simmons also can slide over to play center to give Yao a rest because, much as we admire Deke, he may no longer be the answer at backup center.

This also allows us to trade a big (Swift or Howard) for a small (an up and coming SG/SF like J.R. Smith (Hornets); Antoine Wright (Nets); Carlos Delfino (Pistons), etc.

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Rookie contracts are only guaranteed for the first 2 years now, with 2 team options following.

12. Sooner423

Would you guys do something like this:

Houston Trade Breakdown
    Outgoing

#8 Pick

Ryan Bowen
    6-9 SF from Iowa
    1.3 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.4 apg in 9.7 minutes

Juwan Howard
    6-9 PF from Michigan
    11.8 ppg, 6.7 rpg, 1.4 apg in 31.7 minutes

Luther Head
    6-3 PG from Illinois
    8.8 ppg, 3.3 rpg, 2.7 apg in 28.9 minutes

Incoming

#15 Pick

J.R. Smith
    6-6 SG from St. Benedict's Prep (HS)
    7.7 ppg, 2.0 rpg, 1.1 apg in 18.0 minutes

P.J. Brown
    6-11 PF from Louisiana Tech
    9.0 ppg, 7.3 rpg, 1.2 apg in 31.8 minutes
    Change in team outlook: -5.2 ppg, -2.0 rpg, and -2.2 apg.

Successful Scenario
    Due to Houston and New Orleans being over the cap, the 25% trade rule is invoked. Houston and New Orleans had to be no more than 125% plus $100,000 of the salary given out for the trade to be accepted, which did happen here. This trade satisfies the provisions of the Collective Bargaining Agreement.

13. docgundy

docgundy Member

Latest Draft Rumor

New Orleans sends Houston 12 and 15 for 8. That way Rockets can get Carney, Redick, or Brewer and a powerforward or point guard. The Rockets can get creative and get some nice talent if they do it right. Could we use 15 on Alex Johnson?

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Absolutely not.

Maybe with the #12 pick. And certainly not until draft day when the Rockets management can see who falls to us.

15. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

16. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Is that right? I thought it was 3 guaranteed and 1 option.

If you are right then taking a chance with your first round pick suddenly looks a lot better.

17. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Has anyone researched Alex Johnson? His own coach called him an underachiever and did not start until his junior season which he put out a blistering 13 and 7 and declared for the draft. He is listed as having a "low" motor and needs to be pushed. Why all the facination and posts about this guy?

18. Nero

Nero Member

I was wondering too, I knew it went down, but I thought I had seen that it went down from 4 to 3 years.. Hmm..

19. Sooner423

I think it would be a tough decision. I would certainly do it for the #12.

PJ is an expiring contract, so we would be ridding ourselves of Juwan's awful contract. PJ has asked to be traded to a contender and can still play.

They are looking to get rid of JR. I think he would be an upgrade over Luther. He has mounds of potential. He could still be a top 2-guard in the league before all is said and done. With that said, he could still be a bust.

It would be nice to move Bowen some how so JVG won't be tempted to play him.

For all this, we move 7 slots to #15 where we may be able to take Carney or Brewer to really solidify the 2/backup 3 position.

We could get Mike James with the MLE and end up with:

James / Rafer
    JR Smith / Rodney Carney
    T-Mac / Carney
    PJ Brown / Stro / James Augustine? (32 pick)
    Yao / Mutombo / Augustine

20. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

Why not? Rockets would do virtually ANY trade that can dump JHo's contract, let alone getting J. R. Smith despite losing Head.