1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

More 3 guard line-up whine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Moe, Mar 11, 2002.

1. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

I hate to beat a dead horse...but unfortunately, this horse is nowhere near dead. With our normal use of the 3 guard, we got absolutely killed on the boards by Golden State. That's really not surprising. Oh, by the way, we got killed on the scoreboard, too.

Then, against the Jazz, did anyone else notice that when the Jazz made their comeback in the 4th, it was against the 3 guard? This was with the Jazz using Stockton and LaRue! I was in my "oh well, this helps us in the lottery mode", when jumpin Jehosaphat, Rudy took out Moochie and put in Cato! I couldn't believe it. For those who don't know how the game ended, Cato got a huge block on Malone... KT scores at the other end (he's a forward, you know)... Cato gets a big, big bucket on a feed from Kenny... then Steve, looking absolutely cold-blooded confident, hits the game winner.

Is there a lesson to be learned in there somewhere? Oh, I guess not.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Yes there is. "Fear Rusty LaRue."

3. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

I have always seen it as nothing else but a gimmick to be used sparingly.

4. Sane

Sane Member

Works for the Mavs, but ofcourse, their 3 guards are better.

Nick Van Exel, Nash, and Finley vs Mooch, Wink, and Cat?

We can see why they're more succesful. Especially the fact that all of those guys are very unselfish. Plus, their other 2 players are Nowitzki and LaFrentz. So they might as well be a 5-guard line-up.

5. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

All you guys used to say was how we should move Francis over to the 2, and bring in a true point guard that can take advantage of that mis-match.... so WHY DO YOU WHINE when Rudy does it??? It doesn't work? Fine, forget about Francis going to the 2. Cuttino is too good to be on the bench, period.

6. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

If you are talking about me when you say "all you guys", you're absolutely wrong, because I never said any such thing. I've stayed out of that debate. How do you know that other people who don't like the 3 guard also want to bring in another point?

If you're going to whine, at least have some focus.

7. tacoma park legend

tacoma park legend Contributing Member

I've always felt Rudy's obstinate attitude regarding the rotation/use of personell was more the cause of late quarter collapses than some undesired, intractable qualites found in our guards.

I only blame him to a certain extent though. It has had a lot of past success- there is historical precedence for implementing it.

Instrinsic problem with the Rockets' 3 guard set....

A problem exists, however, in that playing Moochie at the point undermines the purpose of playing Francis at shooting guard- to free him up to score. It undermines it in that Moochie is thrown into a role that exceeds the capacity of his abilities. He is not the playmaker needed to make the sets he runs work, and unintentionally isolates Francis from the offense, relegating him to Shandon corner 3 status. It would be interesting to see how Francis would do with a more adept point guard, though I honestly don't feel he'd be that effective at the position. Even Mobley is somewhat isolated from the offense with Moochie at the helm due to the monotonous offensive sets.

Obviously, if the Rockets were in a position where they were trying to preserve a lead, having a 3rd ball handler on the floor would be essential. That, however, is very rarely the case. Rudy, often blindly, inserts Moochie into the game no matter how well the starting 5 has been playing, to close out games.

There's an acquired comforability Rudy's had with Moochie that, thankfully, appears to be coming to an end.

Progress...

A lot has been made of this team getting into a 'winning mindset' ala Dallas two seasons ago. In reality, the two situations are not all that analagous.

Dallas had it's entire team intact with their players in their designated roles. This is not the case with the current Rockets' team. Mo Taylor and Glen Rice will alter the structure of the current offense pretty significantly, not to mention new wrinkles that will undoubtedly have to be added to foster the development of Eddie's game.

The only 'progress' I'd like to see from this team is an improvement in closing out games with a conventional lineup. The type of lineup they'd use in a playoff game.

8. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Moe obviously not everyone felt that way, so taking it as personal reference was r****ded on your part. There was an overwhelming majority of moving Stevie to the 2 by the BBs users, and now their is an overwhelming majority of doing away with the three guard line up. I'm not the one whining - just tired of reading it.

9. man532

man532 Member

Bottom line, the 3 guard rotation kills the game. They dribble the air out of the ball and the offense stops on a dime.

10. Moe

Moe Contributing Member

Well, since I started the thread and there were only a couple of replies before your post, why would I be "r****ded" to think it was directed at me? Where is your poll that shows the "overwhelming majority of the bbs" wants to move Steve to the 2? There are hundreds of people that visit this site and those threads had maybe 20 or 30 different posters, many of whom want to keep Steve at the one.

You over-exaggerate by saying things like "all you guys used to..." and "the overwhelming majority" and then call me r****ded. :rolleyes:

One other thing. Yes, you are whining. There's whining here every single day. If you don't like it, don't whine about it.