1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mobley and Dickerson get a slap in the face

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by 2Sandwiches, Jan 12, 2000.

1. 2Sandwiches

2Sandwiches Guest

NEW YORK -- The rookie game at NBA All-Star Weekend will have a new twist -- a team with no rookies.

Second-year players such as Vince Carter, Jason Williams and Paul Pierce will take on a team of true rookies in the Schick Rookie Challenge, part of NBA All-Star Saturday on February 12 in Oakland, Calif.

The format change results from last season's lockout, which forced the league to cancel All-Star Weekend festivities. Eight of last season's rookies will take on a squad of eight rookies from this season.

Carter, the sensational swingman of the Toronto Raptors and 1999 NBA Rookie of the Year, heads the second-year squad but likely will be replaced by another second-year player. He is leading the Eastern Conference in voting for the All-Star Game to be played the following day. Any rookie or second-year player who is selected to the All-Star game on Sunday will not play in the rookie game.

Williams, the dazzling point guard of the Sacramento Kings, will be joined in the backcourt by Pierce of the Boston Celtics and Vancouver's Mike Bibby. Forwards Antawn Jamison of Golden State, Raef LaFrentz of Denver and Dirk Nowitzki of Dallas and center Michael Olowokandi of the Los Angeles Clippers comprise the frontcourt.

Top 1999 picks Elton Brand of Chicago, Steve Francis of Houston and Lamar Odom of the Clippers headline the team of rookies. They were selected first, second and fourth, respectively and are battling for 2000 Rookie of the Year honors.

Brand and Odom are forwards and are joined in the frontcourt by forwards Wally Szczerbiak of Minnesota and Adrian Griffin of Boston and center Todd MacCulloch of Philadelphia. Francis, a guard, will be joined in the backcourt by Andre Miller of Cleveland and James Posey of Denver.

Coaches for the teams will be announced Wednesday. The game has two 15-minute halves and, if necessary, a two-minute overtime.

Introduced in 1995, this will be the fifth Rookie Game. Previous Most Valuable Players include Penny Hardaway, Damon Stoudamire, Allen Iverson and Zydrunas Ilgauskas. Stoudamire and Iverson used the MVP award as a springboard to Rookie of the Year honors.
    ---------------------------------------------
    What the @%#$! Dirt Nowitwinski is playing and not cat and Dickerson! Yeah, dirt is having a pretty good season now, but what did he do last year?LaFrenz didn't even play last season, and "the kandi man"(????) was a bust.

This sucks. Cat was really looking forward to it too....

------------------
    "These are my shoes. They're good shoes. They won't make you rich like me, they won't make you rebound like me, they definitely won't make you handsome like me. They'll only make you have shoes like me. That's it."
    --classic Charles Barkley (don't you miss him?)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They were afraid that they would have to replace the rims due to all the bricks that Mobley would throw up in the course of the game.

The fans would probably like to see ALL the players shoot, not just Mobley, hence why he was left off the team.

3. 2Sandwiches

2Sandwiches Guest

Ouch! Pretty harsh, but sadly true...

But I just read that since vince will be in the actual all-star game (at least very likely too) there will be an open spot for guard.

Dickerson should get it though. He deserves it more.