1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

MLK for Gov.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Live, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Live

Live Member

The Perry\Sanchez pissing contest might be just enough to keep me out of the voting booth this election.

Has there ever been a more pathetic field of candidates?

So I'm announcing that Martin Luther King, Jr. will be receiving at least one vote for Governor of Texas.

2. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I will probably vote for Perry, but with all this mudslinging I could be voting for "None of the Above". :D

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i agree...there has been way too much mudslinging...i very rarely hear anything positive at all from this campaign.

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Or true. I can't believe Perry is still running ads calling Sanchez a drug smuggler, quoting a federal judge, even after the judge came out and said Sanchez or his bank wasn't smuggling drugs.

5. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

It just shows us the Trash that is hidden in sheeps clothing.Education, position, respectability,morals and leadership don't mean a thing anymore! Its going to take a revolution or just staying away from voting, to get rid of such low class people ,presenting themselves as our leaders! We need leaders that remember"By the people for the people". Is it just Greed on their part?

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Perry hasn't given me one reason to vote for him other than, "I'm a Republican and W appointed me". He's given me lots of reasons I should vote against Sanchez, but most of them are turning out to be false.

Last week I got a "Republican Census", which I began to fill out until I got to the section that gave two choices:

* YES, I want to help elect Republicans to keep Texas strong. Enclosed is my donation for x $25 x $50 x $100 x $500.

* NO, I plan to help elect liberal Democrats.

So the GOP apparently thinks that if I don't want to send them money, I'm actively trying to elect Democrats.

Nice.

I don't really appreciate being treated like I'm stupid, so that pretty much rules out both the Republicans and Democrats this year.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I know what you mean because this really should be a slam dunk for Sanchez. Instead of harping on his conservative views (supported Bush), he's just been attack, attack, attack. He may not have ever been a politician, but he sure doesn't act like it.

8. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

I see dead people.

9. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

I am not in Texas so I don't know for sure, but it kinda seems to me Perry is a total idiot. Typically all you need to do in Texas to win a state office is to win the Repub primary and don't say much of anything after that. Just ask Clayton Williams--the last major candidate to only lose at the end for staying extremely stupid things..

Why would Perry say anthing other than "I am GWB's guy", "Go Texas, Go", "Taxes bad, wasteful spending bad, America Good". Is the race even close enough for Perry to speak at all???

10. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

Wow, that would really piss me off. I would probably be calling whoever sent that and giving them a piece.

11. outlaw

outlaw Member

those ads attacking Ron Kirk that keep mentioning "liberals like Hilary Clinton" are the worst.

Also that one ad with Sanchez tossing the basketball backwards into the hoop, a la Elvin Hayes, and the ball is coming from the wrong trajectory when it makes it in.

12. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

What I don't get about those commercials is that they ask you to "Call Ron Kirk and let him know (whatever)".

Really? Is that all you want me to do? Call him and say, "I beg to differ"....? Cause, I don't know, I'm no expert, but I bet he already knows some people disagree with him. I'm not sure it would be news to him to hear it from me.

You wouldn't like me to vote for a particular candidate, or contribute some $$$....?

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

is it me or are politicians getting stupider

Rocket River
    BOTH PARTIES!!

14. Live

Live Member

No, just lazier.

Now, it's not about 'I stand for...', it's 'You're right, we need...'

Just telling us want they think we want to hear so we'll remember them on Election Day.

How does that saying about '...standing for nothing...' go again?

15. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Not voting for the upcoming term would be a mistake... It seems that both candidates stand to make reforms to important policies such as insurance guidelines... If any of those issues are dear to you, I would suggest you to vote seriously.

16. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Go ahead, and vote for me.

Seriously, why doesn't a third person run?

It doesn't always have to be a two horse race, or is it different for the State level Government.

17. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This is the NUMBER ONE case for a strong third party. I have always thought that a party, particularly a local or state party, that combined the social responsibility of liberals and the fiscal responsibility of conservatives would flourish, particularly in Texas where the population is diverse and people have the tendency to be kind and generous.

I've met Ron Kirk and he seemed like a good guy, but I wonder about some of the things he's done. Perry is pretty much a wannabe and Sanchez is a VERY shady guy who I honestly don't trust.

I would love to see a party that actually focused on education, the insurance industry, healthcare, the environment, job growth, economic development (especially on the border and in West Texas), support for the impoverished, eliminating idiotic spending, smart transportation (not just pouring concrete everywhere), re-writing the state constitution, progressive urban growth and law enforcement.

Essentially, someone or some group not beholden to big oil, HMO's, labor unions, trial attornies or the far right. It isn't that industry and labor shouldn't have a say in things. It is that they have TOO MUCH say as it is. IMO, consumers, non-profits and individual constituents have too little influence in public policy and it is only getting worse.

In a state like Texas where politicians have long been known for their "horse trading" ability (which is why so many end up being influential in national politics - LBJ, Bush Sr., Bush Jr., etc), there should be a party that bridges the gap between the influence of the far-right-influenced Republicans and the labor-influenced Dixie-crats on the left.

18. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

Jeff,

I respect your opinion, but don't both parties handle all the issues you are talking about (insurance, healthcare, etc.)? They just handle it differently.

Also the lack of influence from consumers, non-profits and individual constituents is due to our political systems, not by the bi-partisanship. No matter what affiliation the governor is (republican, democrat, or 3rd party), a governor cannot curb the influences of interest groups and lobbyists. Interest groups are not a necessary evil either. We live in a world where we rely on corporations. Corporations maintain power by having some control on the government. While moralistically, it doesn't seem right, the stability of corporations is essential to keep our standard of living. I seriously wouldn't want to live in a society where at anytime, the company I work for can default. Once I get a job after graduation, I feel like there will be a sense of stabilty at the least.

Texas actually has a history of supporting 3rd parties... One prominent one was the Greenbacks which favored the coinage of silver to allow more currency spread around for the farmers. There are other examples, but they slip my mind at this time. However, the support of the 3rd party usually comes from necessity when a certain group of the demographics is under-represented.

You can very well vote for a 3rd party, but in the wise words of Kang and Kodos (Simpsons' alert), "Oh sure, go waste your vote."
    :D

19. outlaw

outlaw Member

Minnesota elected a 3rd party Governor. I don't see why Texas can't.

20. OldManBernie

OldManBernie Old Fogey

You dare to question the words of Kang and Kodos??? Infidele!!! Let you burn with the other Earthlings!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Gee Mister Peebody, where are we?

Quiet You...