1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitt Romney 2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Steve_Francis_rules

Just quoting this in the hopes that one of the GOPers will actually read it and respond.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Seriously? I thought he changed his mind on both issues. If not, I take everything back and now give him zero chance to win the nomination.

3. mc mark

mc mark Member

oh, he has changed his mind. Guess it depends on the audience

;)

4. txppratt

txppratt Member

maybe trey parker and matt stone's 'the book of mormon' play on broadway will help lighten the mood towards his religious affiliation?

either that or sink him completely... mitt has a MASSIVE p.r. hill to climb.

i don't put it past most christians (a large % of republicans) to continue to dismiss mitt based upon him being mormon.

its kinda sad.

5. mc mark

mc mark Member

being an agnostic I would say nope!

6. mc mark

mc mark Member

which is funny as hell by the way!

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Member
    Supporting Member

This. Its unfortunate because if Romney ran like he governed in Mass. he might just win the general and possible be a decent President. Socially moderate and mostly fiscal conservative but willing to take a bold initiative like Romneycare seems like a good combination to me.

Unfortunately where the GOP is now Romney its unlikely that Romney is ever going to meet the ideological purity tests and even if he does he will get slaughtered in the general if he campaigns like that.

8. Qball

Qball Member

I don't think liberals care what religion he is. Isn't the conservative christian base (who overwhemingly vote republican) the ones that hate he's a mormon?

9. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Yeah, weird dichotomy. To win the primary requires political positions that make winning the general very difficult.

10. SunsRocketsfan

Not the Republican/Christians I'm surrounded by. They really don't care he's Mormon.

It was McMark here who said "lets not even get into his religion" which made it sound like he had an issue with his religion.

I don't know maybe the super far religious right might have an issue but I certainly don't care or know of anyone who has a huge issue with his religion.

11. SunsRocketsfan

which is why maybe a lot of candidates flip flop on issues..

12. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Member

Which basically means you have no idea wtf the candidate actually intends/believes/plans.

13. SunsRocketsfan

haha that is true..
    here is Mitt's profile on ontheissues.org

http://www.ontheissues.org/mitt_romney.htm

His track record on abortion definitely isn't pretty

[​IMG]

14. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

His antics of flip flopping, Romneycare first then denouncing its near twin just to garner support, his discarded convictions to gain favor from the right, etc. make me just not trust him. It's sad that he can't run on his own ideals and try to buck the system, but the reality is that he is afraid to do that so he will flip flop and pretend to be someone he isn't as often and as long as it takes to find out he has no chance. His only chance would be to be himself, and that would be such a longshot in today's polarized two party climate that he has chosen otherwise and is already done.

Well, then, that settles it. It won't bother anyone.

15. SunsRocketsfan

Yup it does.. It settles it..

Btw i didnt say that... I don't know if it bothers others but it doesn't bother me.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Propaganda is as propaganda does.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Let me summarize this post so that others may laugh at you more, my dear teejster:

1. If unemployment doesn't rise any further in the US, we will lose all the jobs, we need to liquidate more jobs to have jobs (and liquidate people too).

2. It doesn't mattter if voters dislike you and won't vote for you - TOUGH NUGGETS, they weill still vote for you.

3. Jack Welch is awesome because he cut jobs at GE, so if the President cuts jobs in the US like Jack Welch did at GE, he would also be awesome.

There are truly not enough lollerskates and lollerrinks in the world for you, my child. Perhaps if you devoted more time to running a business and less to running your mouth, we'd get america working again.

18. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Member

Yes, but continuing that discussion continues to deny the original point. It will be a factor.

19. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

The fact that you think the only things company CEO's do is cut jobs is hilarious.

Typical thinking of lawyers and people in government that know nothing about the industry that pays the bills and provides the jobs for all.

Its being able to be strategic and succeed in the role given. If the goal is higher employment, lower deficits, ending a war, etc....its the ability to take a goal, bring in the right team and implement it to create a positive solution.

You can't learn that writing on your computer or in your law books.

20. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I don't believe Romney's belief system would simply try to cut expenses and not increase top line revenue.

Revenue to me is the most important factor as our expenses and unfunded liabilities would cause us soon to cut all expenses and still be in the red.

Having one that understands the capital markets and global business will have a better idea how to attract capital investment to the US, how to enable US businesses to succeed here and abroad and how the government can help our engine of capitalism to increase profits, wealth and thereby taxes and government revenue.