1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mitt Romney 2012

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rocketman1981, Jun 2, 2011.

1. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Mitt Romney officially entered the race today. Finally a politician who has had significant success in business, politics and anything he has done.

While founding Bain Capital, he helped to found and capitalize hundreds of companies including AMC Entertainment, Brookstone, Burger King, Burlington Coat Factory, Domino's Pizza, DoubleClick, D&M Holdings, Guitar Center, Hospital Corporation of America (HCA), Sealy, The Sports Authority, Toys R Us, Unisource, Warner Music Group and The Weather Channel.

Imagine all the jobs created by proper investment and funding great innovative ideas. He has contributed to the capitalist success of this great nation helping to build great global American companies, jobs and wealth for this nation of ours.

He later turned around Bain & Company when it was in a crisis saving one of the nations largest consulting firms. He wasn't cemented in his ideology and found ways to be governor of one of the most liberal states in the nation and I think would be a refreshing change as the President of the United States of America.

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Too bad he flip-flops worst than a dying fish out of water. He has to run away from his Health Care plan to have any shot at the Republican nomination, then try to run to get any Democratic votes.....lol.

3. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

I think a good executive doesn't cement his way of thinking in anything and instead realizes the cards dealt and finds a way to success.

What works in Mass., probably won't work in Texas.

But campaigns come down to one-liners so there's no point in real discussion I take it.

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

Completely agree. Yet another candidate in a long line of elected presidents who is more interested in the title than actually doing the job.

5. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Member

There's far more than health care. (and the what works in mass but wont work in Texas line makes no sense when no one has even bothered to point out why it would be a failure here as opposed to there)

Anyway he's flip flopped on health care, abortion, stem cells, campaign finance, amnesty for illegals, etc..

So health care is hardly his only example.

6. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

It depends on what issues are important to each person. I really don't care about stem cells, abortion, illegals and see healthcare as a mid-tier issue.

Whats important now is we have a country with a stagnating unemployement rate the highest in over 30 years. We have a struggling financial system and a huge financial storm looming with unfunded liabilities.

We need someone with strong business experience and managerial experience that can understand these issues and have our country and our wealth and way of life continue. If people don't have jobs they really don't care about stem cells or gay marriage.

Thats the number one issue.

7. SunsRocketsfan

There is nothing wrong with flip flopping if he provides a reason. A candidate can change his mind after researching/debating. I just wish more candidates actually admit and embrace their change of stance. So I don't see flip flopping as a horrible issue if they support reasons behind it. People are allowed to make mistakes. Now if he goes to one side and then back to another and then back again then yes he clearly cant make up his mind or is just pandering to the voters.

Anyways not too excited about Mitt but I suppose I would vote for him over Obama. We need some change right? ;)

Also couldnt this have gone under the GOP candidate thread?

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Unfortunately for you, TJ - the wheels come off the track there. Romney/Bain's record isn't in job creation, it's in cost reduction by laying off workers and shedding jobs. Great for a CEO, will cause him to be feted, toasted, and the like not so great for a president.

Unlike, say, Burger King, you can't liquidate American citizens and not worry about them anymore when they're gone.

Not that it really matters that much because it all rests on the canard that the president controls the business cycle. And quite frankly, Romney's LBO ways are the least of his myriad problems, the fact that nobody really seems to like him is far, far more important.

I think the fact that you have never owned your own business is what is causing you to be myopic here.

1 person likes this.
  9. mc mark

mc mark Member

he's also pro-choice and for gay marriage

oh well

10. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Here's the problem with the Republican party and the business experience of fixing the economy.

The GOP claims the US doesn't have a revenue problem, but a spending problem. Anyone who's ever run a business wants to increase revenue. Cutting spending is also a part, to pretend like more revenue isn't needed is silly.

Especially when comparing running a business to running the govt.

1 person likes this.
  11. SunsRocketsfan

Going to have to agree with you here on some points. He is definitely not the most likeable guy and comes across as a corpse with not much of a personality. (ie: John Kerry)
    I guess that is why he is trying to show his more human side with him playing with his kids and claiming to watch south park, but that might back fire if it comes across as too fake and staged (ie: Al Gore's kiss).

12. SunsRocketsfan

that is a good thing :)

13. mc mark

mc mark Member

Maybe to sane republicans

Unfortunately sane republicans don't usually get out of primaries. Especially this election. I mean let’s not even get into his religion and the conservative base

14. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Spearing from the cubicle again?

The President doesn't control the business cycle, but he does have the ability to help it or detract from the wave of the macroeconomy.

To save a company sometime there must be layoffs, would it be better to lose 1000 jobs and save 20000 or to save 1000, but eventually lose them all?

Awww...the people don't like him. I'm sure they they don't like not having a job, i'm sure they feel great seeing a likeable guy like Obama up there when they're collecting unemployment benefits.

Actually if you'd ever worked in industry you may realize its not about how one feels, but about who gets the job done. Jack Welch was a womanizing, drunk that most despised, but he got the job done.

15. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Except for that whole 2008 nomination process.

16. SunsRocketsfan

do you have a problem with his religion?

17. Rocketman1981

Rocketman1981 Member

Why do the liberal people care what his religion is?

I'm actually pro-choice, pro-gay marriage, but more along the lines that the government shouldn't dictate morality. So I like the fact that he's been able to oversee a state that was different from his beliefs and do so successfully.

18. SunsRocketsfan

I agree with you and some really good points but unfortunately in this internet/TV/media age the person also has to be likeable to even have a chance. I agree if it was a board of directors making the decision the outcome would be different but we have your avg joe schmo who votes based on how warm and fuzzy someone makes them feel.

19. Qball

Qball Member

Yes, maybe in 2016. He's wasting his time next year.

Also, this should be merged into the GOP Nomination thread: http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=199815

20. SunsRocketsfan

agreed,
    I think some people are attacking his religion just to find something to attack. Pretty lame.