1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Minnesota Viking Player Signs Contract Then Works His Shift at Target

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lil Pun, May 8, 2009.

1. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/blog/sh...-retains-his-loyalty-to-Target?urn=nfl,161446

A lot of guys, when they sign an NFL contract, might go out and buy something expensive, have a huge party, buy some jewelry, or maybe get a tattoo.

But if Nick Urban, former standout lineman at Winona State and brand new Minnesota Viking, is going to get a tattoo, it's going to be a red bullseye underneath the words, "Expect More. Pay Less."

Urban works (or worked) at Target, and you know what he did as soon as he found out the Vikings were giving him a contract? He put on the red shirt and worked his scheduled shift at Target.

From Access Vikings, via the watchful eye of Sportress of Blogitude:

“They were nice enough to take me on, knowing my situation and I owed them a lot,” Urban said of his bosses at Target, who gave him flexible, part-time hours so he could train for his shot at the NFL. “My parents raised me that way. They were nice enough to help out [at Target] and people that are nice enough to help you, you don’t just leave high and dry.”

That's fantastic. I'd love to think that if I were in Urban's shoes, I'd do the same thing, because I really admire the selflessness and loyalty he showed here.

I can't say for sure that I would, though. My only use for a Target right then might be to get a plastic kiddie swimming pool and enough baby oil to fill it for the party I'd throw later that night.

The next step for Urban is making the roster, and I wish him tremendous luck with that. He sounds like the kind of guy who deserves it.

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

great story. will definitely be rooting for this kid.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Considering he probably signed for the minimum with not much of a bonus or guarantee to make the team, it's smart that he kept his regular job.

4. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

True. He'll make very little if he doesn't make the team, or at least practice squad, as players only get paid in the regular season. Throughout mini-camps and training camp they just receive a stipend for showing up.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I don't know what the minimum is, but I assume it's more than what his manager makes in one year so it's impressive.

6. bobrek

If he doesn't make the team, then he would be making less than what he makes at Target (depending on his signing bonus).

Keep in mind that this was a free agent signing from a "Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference" school.

7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

There was a good QB from Central Arkansas that went undrafted but signed with the Jags immediately after the draft. He was cut on either Tuesday or Wednesday, about 10 days after he signed.

Good move by this kid to keep his job. There's no guarantee he'll be around long enough to get a chance to make the team or even the practice squad.

8. underoverup

underoverup Member

i thought this was going to be another brett favre thread.

:)

9. Franchise3

Franchise3 Member

I think the minimum is somewhere in the area of $285,000, but don't quote me on that.

Now he just has to make the squad so he can actually receive that money. In a way, the article acts like he just got a pile of money thrown in his lap and it's shocking that he would continue his shift at Target after becoming an overnight millionaire.

10. bobrek

Someone had to do it, might as well be me.

11. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Yeah, I don't get why the article reads as if he just got guaranteed money. All he has is a training camp invite, which basically just means he gets a stipend every week, which if you add up would be considerably less than a manager at Target would make. I think I remember hearing that if you were to convert the stipend in training camp into a yearly salary, it converts into something like $20,000 a year or something. Still a good story though, and I'm rooting for him to make the team.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Reminds me of one of my absolute favorite Ron Artest episodes (which grow by the day):

Summer 1999: Before his rookie season, Artest applied for a part-time job at a Circuit City outlet in the Chicago area. But the Bulls stepped in before he could begin work ... and benefit from the employee discount.

Said Artest: "I thought it would be fun. And I had a friend who worked there."

He also apparently listed then-Bulls GM Jerry Krause as a reference on his application.

13. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

With the unemployment rate as high as it is, he should not be hogging jobs that way. I am sure there are plenty of other people who are struggling to feed their families, but this rich football player refuses to give up his job.

Horrible.

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Ron Artest does it and gets ridiculed, this kid does it and get praised....

15. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Well to be fair, when you are in the NBA you have a guaranteed contract. Where as in the NFL you really don't.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Please tell me this went over my head. If you don't see the difference between a multimillionaire trying to get a job at Best Buy for an employee's discount and a college student who continues to work at his job at Target after signing a free agent contract because he feels he owes them, I don't know what more to say.

btw, if I were the Vikings owner, I'd carry this guy on my practice squad.

#16 Smokey, May 8, 2009
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Good move on the kid's part given the uncertainty of an NFL career. Even if his pro-football doesn't pan out I can see him being moved to Targets PR dept..

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

:eek: I don't know what kind of party you are planning on having.