1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. HeyBudLetsParty

Mills has had some throws today that were so perfectly placed you wonder if he meant to do it. Nothing elite about any of his tools but you can be a nice player at the QB position making the right reads and nailing the fundamentals

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Patriots have always been cheaters

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

May not be elite at anything. But great size, well above average arm strength and decent mobility. Sum of your parts is better than being elite at any one thing.

4. Jalen Green OnlyFan

Why not just let them score?

Would rather be down 7 with 1:50 left than down 3 with less than a minute

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Can't put any of this L on Mills at least. I still think he's at best a journeyman QB but he made some really nice throws and didn't contribute to the L at all really.

DonkeyMagic likes this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Mills showed some nice progress.
    Arm talent plays, got some mobility and can throw on the run.
    Physically he has every tool to be a player in the league. Keep making gains like this week and we’ll be alright at the position.

7. conquistador#11

He's had the most impressive game from his rookie class so far. The only player to carve the Patriots for 200 yards in the first half was none other than Deshaun in 2019, the game before "You suck too mother f'er".

UTSA2step, Zen Tabak and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I thought Mac Jones has been pretty impressive overall. Especially against Tampa last week.

9. conquistador#11

When some of you guys don't like a player whether it's Mills or Deshaun as a rookie, you guys go all out. Can't even congratulate Mills for having 311 yds, 3 tds, 70% completion rating against Hoody, whose defense usually feasts on rookie qbs.

I do that with Odorozzi/ Raley with the Astros but Raley is growing on me.

10. HeyBudLetsParty

Mills played great, problem is he’s in a terrible situation. Terrible oline, bad run game, no real great weapons even with Deshauns talent and experience they weren’t able to win 5 games last year. I hope they run him out there the rest of the season and we can see if he has potential to develop into a starter. Based on talent alone I would say you could compare his ceiling to Matt Ryan, but he’s a long way from that. Worst case scenario you draft a QB with your top pick and he could be a solid clip board holder.

JayGoogle and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is the first time I’ve really seen a decent amount of the Texans play this season, in particular Mills’ play. He seems serviceable, at the least.

The commentators made an interesting point that this was his only 11th , or so, start since high school. That really cannot be overlooked or taken lightly. I didn’t see much difference in he and Mac Jones. Mac really got away with a couple of terrible reads/throws.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree. He came back from a miserable defeat without being afraid to throw into coverage. He didn't hesitate and hesitate and just throw the ball away to avoid sacks. He threw some great passes right on the money, and kept his cool under pressure. This was only his 4th NFL game, and he set a record no hot shot 4 year college star quarterback has ever done coming in as a #1 draft pick. If he can do that with so little experience since high school it's crazy to assume he will never be great. Nobody knows that.

15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Servicable. Doesn't seem to have the it factor, but he did make some pretty sick throw this game.

16. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

I love people saying we wasted a 3rd round pick , maybe we have, who knows… but he’s arguably playing like the best rookie QB of the recent draft and should get better with experience….apologies to Tyrod but we should go with Mills here on out to both ascertain Mills and help draft positioning

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

10 air yard per throws is what I want to see. Even if it takes some gimmicky plays to open it up the guy MUST get the ball downfield in todays game. All the good QBs will trust their receivers. Now he has to remember all the dink and dunk stuff when its open. Davis Mills finally showed the arm talent that preceded his reputation and the question will be if he can build on it. Sadly, the Texans are always going to Texan and Culley turned a possible win into a defeat with the traditional bad clock management and braindead decisions.

We are in football purgatory, but there might be a glimmer of hope. Guys who will stick around in this league will start to flash about this time so Davis Mills has to avoid regressing.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I was waiting on your opinion.
    I actually value your thoughts and opinions.

I was also a little annoyed by the coaching yesterday. I can tolerate growing pains. That just seemed like lack of intelligence.

raining threes likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Very encouraged about Mills. People writing this kid off so soon seems pretty silly to me. Give him the rest of the season to learn. He sure seems to be progressing nicely, but it’s still too soon to tell. I’m hoping if he continues to progress, we don’t waste draft capital on a QB in the up-coming draft. All the QB prospects in college look pretty mediocre to me. Mills arm and accuracy look better than any of them. He also has an NFL body.

whag00, Frank Drebin, King1 and 4 others like this.
  20. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed

deb4rockets likes this.