1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Davis Mills - From not to hot

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Sep 19, 2021.

1. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Can you believe we live in a world were both the Aggies and the Texans probably wish they had Kellen Mond at quarterback?

2. Xopher

Xopher Member

Let's see. The kid didn't get first team reps in Training Camp. He got 1st team reps on a short week playing against Carolina. He had a week to get ready play against the best defense in the conference. He had an OC that decided to try and run the ball on first and second down and then deal with the number 1 defense knowing he is going to try and pass on 3rd. The kid started 11 college games. He has the physical tools. You have first round draft picks who got all the 1st team reps in training camp and they are horrendous. Give the kid a chance.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Didnt we just have a QB that was put into almost the same situation and flourished before he became a serial rapist (allegedly)?

"Davis Mills was the best QB prospect in high school" - when will those instincts show up? If you're the best at anything the law of averages says that by now he would have shown all of us that there is reason for optimism and patience. Blaming the coaches and the system and the owners is just coddling this guy and not holding him accountable for his own poor play.

Thats why you dont take QB projects that high in the draft because it sets up expectations, and sadly this guy will not be able to live up to them.

I cant wait for Tyrod to come back.

Fulgore likes this.
  4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I did a lot of research on the probabilities of QB's panning out in the years between Schaub and Watson. My judgement is based on the probability of a 3rd round QB, 8th off the board, becoming a legit NFL starter.

I should have said "long term" QB. Tyrod Taylor isn't that. We're still looking for a long-term answer despite Taylor being a vet.

You're still much more likely to find starters/contributors at pretty much every position other than QB in the middle/late rounds.

5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Mills is looking a little more comfortable out there.

Moving like he's not stuck in molasses.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  6. Two Sandwiches

Encouraging to see the improvements Mills has made in a week.

King1 and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Mills can throw on the run really well. Not what you want him doing obviously, but it's nice to have.

UTSA2step and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

I didn’t get too down last week because the situation was way less than ideal…and I won’t get overly excited this week.

But what Mills is doing against a good Patriots defense is pretty impressive. He has put all his tools on display today. Accuracy, touch, poise, some mobility. Let’s see if he can keep it up in the 2nd half.

9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Improvements and like I said...The Bills are a legit contender, they are supposed to completely embarrass a bad team like the Texans and they did.

Yall got way too muddled in the disparities when it's still just 1 loss. Looks like Mills didn't get down and decided (so far at least) to have a good bounce back game.

Pats defense isn't elite but definitely at least average so it's a good showing.

Two Sandwiches, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So is this a breakout game?

Wasn’t it said that Watsons game as a rookie against the Pats was a breakout game?

UTSA2step likes this.
  11. Two Sandwiches

Culley is outcoaching Ole Bill, too.

I'll be nice. I'll give Mills three more games.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

3 total passing TDs allowed by this Pats defense all year.
    3 today

13. mario_v

mario_v Member

Wtf was that?

14. Two Sandwiches

I'm not sure. Maybe.

Watson had like three games in a row that were stellar. He was over 400 yards passing for a few weeks straight and was the offense. In all fairness, that's not what Mills is being asked to do here, but his progress from last week is encouraging. He's starting to look comfortable out there.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Still he’s doing something against a defense that no one has done all season.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  16. Two Sandwiches

I will be the guys biggest cheerleader if he's going to show progress like this from week to week.

Him progressing would do a couple things. It would make Watson easier to trade and it would make it so that you don't HAVE to take a QB this year.

UTSA2step, whag00 and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’ve said this from day 1, that would be the best possible outcome

Two Sandwiches and whag00 like this.
  18. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

This team may end up with 4 1st round pick in the next 2 years. Drafting best player available without having to worry about qb completely changes the rebuild trajectory.

19. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Culley has some BOB time management gene

20. J.R.

J.R. Member