1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Miller isn't sky-high on Bogut

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by Fegwu, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

http://deseretnews.com/dn/view/0,1249,600126392,00.html

By Tim Buckley
    Deseret Morning News

Even before saying what he did, Jazz owner Larry H. Miller seemed to sense possible consequence. "I'm going to get a lot of hate mail," he said.

That apparent inevitability, though, did not stop Miller from publicly sharing his thoughts Thursday on consensus national college player of the year Andrew Bogut, the 7-foot University of Utah sophomore center who could be selected as high as No. 1 overall in June's NBA Draft.

"Personally," Miller told KZN 1280-AM during a wide-ranging interview on the sports-talk radio station's afternoon drive show, "I don't think Andrew Bogut is all that he's cracked up to be.

"Now, everybody on the Jazz except me thinks (he is). Kevin (O'Connor, the Jazz's senior vice president for basketball operations) thinks he's a possible No. 1 pick, certainly second or third. (Coach) Jerry (Sloan) and (assistant coach) Phil (Johnson) love him.

"I like him. I have no ax to grind with him. But let me tell you what my complaints about him are. It's really one: I think in tough situations, he disappears."

Team officials actually are forbidden by the NBA to comment on underclassmen until the league releases a list of draft-eligible players in mid-May, so the Jazz owner could be facing a fine for his comments.

To back his stance on Bogut, Miller critiqued some of the Wooden and Naismith awards winner's play during the Utes' 2004-05 season.

"You look earlier in the season," he told 1280, "once (Mountain West Conference) league play had started, in my mind's eye, I'm seeing three or four games in a row where teams figured out they could double- or triple-(team) him.

"I think what I saw, from watching, was that he manifested he didn't like getting hit. He didn't like being down in the paint, getting physical contact in different places, and really had a few games . . . where he didn't perform very well.

"The team managed to win those games, which I give a lot of credit to the coach (Ray Giacoletti) and to (guard) Marc Jackson for," Miller added. "So, I'm not knocking Andrew. I'm just saying the stats speak for themselves, and I think he really disappeared on them in the final game."

The Utes' Final Four tournament run ended last month with a 62-52 regional semifinal loss to the University of Kentucky. Bogut scored 20 points but had the worst shooting night of his two years at the U., hitting just 8-of-19 from the field and 4-of-11 from the free-throw line.

Despite all that, Miller said the Jazz — currently 25-53 and owners of the one of the four worst records in the NBA — "probably" would select Bogut if he was available when Utah's turn to pick in the June 28 draft arrived.

A lottery in May will determine the Jazz's exact draft position, and it could wind up being as high as No. 1, should Utah win the drawing.

Bogut, Wake Forest guard Chris Paul, Illinois guard Deron Williams and small forward Marvin Williams of national-champion North Carolina (if he should declare himself eligible for the draft) all are considered potential top-three picks.

Bogut, who came to Utah from Australia, has said he would be very happy to stay in Salt Lake City and play for Sloan should the Jazz claim him.

2. DeAleck

DeAleck Member

I read the article and heard the interview. If Miller gets out and criticizes him like that, then it's possibly smoke-screen. I don't know, but what's the reason for him to do that? There is no benefit for doing something like this, unless he has a hatemail fettish.

Miller is a smart business man. You can tell it by the mass fortune he accumulated as a car dealer. If he does something, there is probably a good reason for it. In this case, setting smoke-screens.

3. Fegwu

Fegwu Member

DA, I understand what you are saying but then I am reminded by my memory that this same Miller is the one who was running his mouth about Karl Malone and Boozer.

Methinks he has loose tongue and does not know how to control his spoken sentiments atimes. All of this seems in character with Mr Miller but he needs to tone it down. I cannot understand what his point is on this Bogut take.

4. nyquil82

nyquil82 Member

I remember Cuban was trashtalking yao a lot before the draft when in reality he had tried A LOT to get him on the team, even dealing with big Wang for a few years just to entice Yao.

5. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

The other side of this might be that he's attempting to ease the way for the team not being able to get Bogut. Bogut has quite a following in Utah and the Jazz probably won't be in a position to draft him (given the lottery %'s) and might be better off even if they could and didn't.

Chris Paul or Marvin Williams (move AK to pf, trade Boozer for a pg) might be a better option and/or more likely available.

6. a la rockets

a la rockets Member

Persanally, I would be tempted to have more in those 2 than in Miller...

ALA

7. gucci888

gucci888 Member

It seems like a smoke-screen, but I'm not sold on Bogut either. I just don't think he will pan out like everyone thinks he will.

8. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

personally i think bogut is overrated and won't be more than a good player at the NBA level. he'll never be great and isn't a type of player to build a team around. it's easy to be great against 6'8 centers in college when you're 7'0 but when you lack athleticism and strength it's going to be tough in the NBA.

9. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

this is so simple to explain....it is so obvious what he id doing that many of you will kick yourself for not seeing it!

the jazz won't get the 1st pick (probably not anyway) and bogut is expected to be the #1 choice. if the jazz want him but cant get him then they talk down his value.

If i were the hawks and his hometown jazz say they wouldn't take him, then i think twice...the next team goes on the clock and does the same....

the hornets don't need anymore size, portland doesn't need anymore size, the bobcats would take him but maybe they take one of the 4 guys from unc who don't "dissapear in a tough situation."

and, OMG! he slips to utah and they take him!